Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Other Stuff > Sports Talk
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2020, 07:57 PM
Diaper Jockey

Guess I wouldn't doubt it. But why bring it up now?

At least we get to watch Korean baseball now! With some fringe Major Leaguers sprinkled in. Reminds me of the movie Mr. Baseball.

"Ninety feet between bases is the nearest thing to perfection that man has yet achieved."

Red Smith

Last edited by GBDad; 05-05-2020 at 08:07 PM.
Old 05-15-2020, 03:29 PM
Diaper Jockey

Blake Snell is a moron!!!

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...reduced-salary

Even if you feel that way you can't say it. Oh, no! You poor baby! You're "risking your life" to play baseball for millions of dollars when 40% of American households that earn $40K or less have lost their jobs and are waiting in hours long lines to get food from a pantry to feed their families. BAD LOOK!

And if you can find the sound bite can anyone tell my why the white kid from suburban Seattle all of the sudden sounds like Dr. Dre? "Yo! Ya feel me, Bro! I gotta get mine, know what I'm sayin'".

"Ninety feet between bases is the nearest thing to perfection that man has yet achieved."

Red Smith
Old 05-16-2020, 12:55 AM
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBDad View Post
Blake Snell is a moron!!!

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...reduced-salary

Even if you feel that way you can't say it. Oh, no! You poor baby! You're "risking your life" to play baseball for millions of dollars when 40% of American households that earn $40K or less have lost their jobs and are waiting in hours long lines to get food from a pantry to feed their families. BAD LOOK!

And if you can find the sound bite can anyone tell my why the white kid from suburban Seattle all of the sudden sounds like Dr. Dre? "Yo! Ya feel me, Bro! I gotta get mine, know what I'm sayin'".

Agree it is a bad optic. That being said the guy is slated to make 1.75 million this year. After taxes, agent fees and having to pay to live in 2 different parts of the country ( I do not know that for sure, both look to be very expensive) he is looking at a lot of overhead. think about the guys making minimum. Pete Alfonso got a raise to 570K. That will be cut. These guys could blow out a body part any given day, If I were a pitcher on the bubble I would not spin a pitch until next year.
Old 05-16-2020, 04:36 AM
Diaper Jockey

I guess insert whatever numbers for whatever year......but he is a Cy Young Award winner who's best year(s) is/are probably already behind him. He signed a 5 year, $50M contract extension in March of 2019 and in baseball all money is guaranteed. Sorry! Don't feel sorry for you, Blake! How much money do you need to "risk your life!" You'll "risk your life" for your full pay, "but not a penny less." When the CNA making $40K is going to work in the COVID unit every day and ACTUALLY RISKING his/her life with a family to support. Definition of "tone deaf." Especially when a month ago you said "If I get it, I get it. If I don't I don't. It doesn't really matter." Then Bryce Harper piles on...."He speaks the truth!" Idiots!

But yes, the guys making the minimum, who will now be taking a prorated salary for the equivalent of half a season are the guys that their union should be fighting for. No one wants to hear from Blake Snell and Bryce Harper on how much this season is going to hurt them financially.

Red Smith

Last edited by GBDad; 05-16-2020 at 01:06 PM.
Old 05-18-2020, 05:51 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

How to "play ball" in a social distancing world.
https://www.si.com/soccer/2020/05/18...y-stadium-fans.
Old 05-23-2020, 06:14 PM
Trophy Husband

No wonder a lot of MLB players do not want to take a pay cut to play this season.

https://nypost.com/2020/05/22/noah-s...nyc-apartment/
Old 05-23-2020, 11:50 PM
Super Duper Daddy

F baseball.
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 05-27-2020, 10:12 PM
Diaper Jockey

Brewers owner Mark Attanasio laid out the numbers quite nicely in the article linked below. Baseball is essentially a $10B/yr industry with 50% of that contractually going to the players, so $5B. The players already agreed to prorated salary based on games played and right now they're planning on an 82 or so game season, basically half. So the players are guaranteed $2.5B. With no fans in the stands revenue to MLB through broadcast rights is expected to be $2.85B. So that leaves $350M for the clubs/league to conduct a season. Sounds like a lot of money, but isn't nearly enough to, as Attanasio put it, "break even," which is the goal. Long-term you build asset value - so you can sell your team for a shit-load of money, but on annual basis you look to break even. Of course teams in New York, L.A., Chicago, Boston, teams with HUGE TV deals, they make money hand over fist - in stadium revenue is a drop in the bucket compared to TV money. Not true for most teams.

When the conversation turns to "millionaires vs. billionaires" the attitude of many is, as Kwak put it, "F baseball!"

Good read though and much more palatable than Blake Snell's "after taxes I'm only going to make $3M, not worth it," and Bryce Harper's "he speaks the truth."

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sport...rk/5258706002/

Red Smith
Old 05-28-2020, 12:24 AM
Super Duper Daddy

Here's an idea for the players: if you're not making enough money then get a side gig like they did 50 years ago:

https://www.mlb.com/cut4/weirdest-of...ory-c209625104
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 05-28-2020, 12:56 AM
Trophy Husband

So should we stop watching all TV and movies too? Many of the talking heads in the news and borderline actors on TV and movies make a lot more. Anyone can read a TelePrompter, very few can hit a 98 MPH round ball with a round bat 400 plus feet ( or 310 ft. if you go to the short porch in right in "The House That Built Ruth" . ) That is just a smidgen of what pro athletes do in all pro sports.