Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > Advice from Dads for Dads
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2011, 01:28 PM
aka KlugeDaddy, Ben

Default Water Softener

The previous owners rented a Culligan water softener and we have the option to maintain the rental. It's from the lower end of their line, which seems fine enough. I think my wife would like better water for her showers and dishes don't seem to be getting as clean as they did at the old house, but that could be the dishwasher.

Anyway, the special new-customer pricing Culligan advertises is an introductory $9.99 rate. It does change to whatever their normal pricing is. But we are being offered a rate of $37.95 ($40 and change after tax). This seems to be a bit high. The house is connected to a water company. I think it's a county co-op. We've been told that there's a $100 start up fee and if there's not a meter (no one knows if there is one) we'd have to pay for that. But after all of that, we'd probably have less than $40 in water usage. That's without accounting for the salt.

I'm asking the company that would provide us water for information about their water treatment, connection fees and average monthly bills. In the city, we paid about $40 a month for water and sewer. It looks like this water softener would cost us about $50 a month and we would have septic maintenance on top of that.

Once I get information from the water company, I'll do a comparison and probably tell Culligan that if they want to sell us this unit as a used product, we can deal. At $40/month, we could buy a new one every 18 months, and have a much nicer softener at that.

But am I missing anything? Is there anything about drawing from our well for inside use (we'd have the outdoor faucets plumbed to the well next Spring) that I'm missing?
Old 08-24-2011, 08:07 PM
rmchone

i used to work in for a water treatment company. indiana has some of the hardest water out there...PA you guys are there too. I would think where you are at might even be a bit worse than the middle of the state. Check with them and see how hard the water is. a good softener should last 5 years here if it is properly maintained and what not. but i would never rent one unless the water was so bad i would be replacing them every 2 years. I would also see if there are any local companies and check with plumbers and what not in the area to see what they recommend for your water since they work with it everyday.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:26 AM
New Daddy

Maybe the water softener you are using isn't functioning properly because it has issues. Leakings or not well-maintained. Regular maintenance is importance to avoid problems with your water softeners. Check out this link for maintenance tips and this link for leaking reasons and solutions. This might help you. Cheers!