Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > DIY Dads
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2020, 02:34 PM
Super Duper Daddy

I haven't done anything yet. We have a 3 day weekend.
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 02-17-2020, 11:29 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

All the terlets, vacuumed upstairs. Messed around with old didge, fiddling around with mouthpiece again. Looking for easy buzz. 😎
Oh yeah- supervised school. Hands on today. Division and new topic in grammar.
Old 02-18-2020, 01:39 AM
Super Duper Daddy

Iím whittling away at the trash from the bathroom remodel that Iíd shoved into the crate from the vanity counter top in the back of the garage. Iím too cheap for a dumpster. The huge plate glass mirror had been shoved between the crate and the shelving was about to fall over. I tried moving it but fumblefudged it and it shattered into a million pieces: Ffffffffff!!!!!

That prompted me to clean the garage and I basically filled our spare garbage can with all manner of old stuff that was collecting cobwebs. Somewhere along the way I found some wedding stuff and a baby picture of me being held by my mom. Thereís also a lot of stuff that needs to be shredded. Thatís tomorrowís mission; I want to tidy up the basement next.
Old 02-19-2020, 11:45 AM
Super Duper Daddy

I need a paint locker. There are cans everywhere. I have them mostly labeled - except for the one can I need. Usually Home Depot will put a little dab of paint on the top of the can and put a label on it so that the guys at the paint counter know how to mix more. It turns out that the one can labeled "custom color" but no codes was the color I was looking for to paint over the corner where the old TV was and I had to patch the hole for the wiring. I'm just going to paint that spot though; I think we need to get a new color - or at least a new finish. Every little smudge on the wall is screaming "paint me!"

It's probably not going to get done today though; there's already a lot on the schedule.
Old 03-03-2020, 05:27 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

For starters:
Spent the whole dang morning trying to make the perfect beeswax mouth seal for my new didgeridoo. Melting wax, shaping, rolling, molding, attaching shaping, testing, reshaping.
When I was done and got the drone sound, it was a whole music note lower. Not good. Around noonish said eff it, took it off, cleaned the didge, gave it a toot. Just takes more effort, to get the pee-ewe , ooo-wee sound.
Oh well.

Later school and shower and made pizza dough.

Last edited by irie feeling; 03-03-2020 at 10:15 PM. Reason: U
Old 03-04-2020, 12:44 AM
Super Duper Daddy

I sanded down the maple binding on two streaked ebony fretboards using a wooden sanding caul with a 16" cylindrical radius that I ordered a few days ago. The goal is to install the frets soon. I have two rings of nickle fretwire ready and waiting but I need to glue them to the guitar necks first.

I also went to Home Depot to buy some steel pipe to use as part of a wood bending apparatus that I want to use for my next guitar build that I'm kicking off once I finally finish my current one.
Old 03-04-2020, 12:42 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
I sanded down the maple binding on two streaked ebony fretboards using a wooden sanding caul with a 16" cylindrical radius that I ordered a few days ago. The goal is to install the frets soon. I have two rings of nickle fretwire ready and waiting but I need to glue them to the guitar necks first.

I also went to Home Depot to buy some steel pipe to use as part of a wood bending apparatus that I want to use for my next guitar build that I'm kicking off once I finally finish my current one.
That is soooo interesting. I didn't go to the Martin Guitar field trip. Turns out the paint fumes a bit much anyways. They brought me back a pencil and a coaster from the center hole.
Old 03-04-2020, 01:21 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by irie feeling View Post
That is soooo interesting. I didn't go to the Martin Guitar field trip. Turns out the paint fumes a bit much anyways. They brought me back a pencil and a coaster from the center hole.
I can understand, but the Martin factory opened in 1964 and my impression was that it's very clean for a woodworking operation. What you probably smelled was the smell of the wood sorting area in the lower levels, a mixture of sawdust coming from the binding area near the back and lacquer fumes from the racks of bodies resting between spray coats. They like to give out scraps of mahogany and spruce but the real potpourri-worthy wood is a Spanish cedar, which actually a cyprus.

I was gagging yesterday because I was sanding ebony with 100 grit sandpaper. I hate sanding almost as much as I hate power tools. Ebony sawdust is like coarse graphite. Rosewood sawdust is like pepper. Spruce sawdust is like tan talc. There's this type of rosewood from Mexico called Cocobolo that's reddish in tint and the grain is beautiful to behold, but as my luthier friend's wife discovered it's also highly allergenic.

I understand why you'd be sensitive to it. It may be a holdover from your time in the service. My ship was built in the 50s and I remember seeing yard workers ripping out what was most likely asbestos - I should probably get tested for mesothelioma.

-----------

As for me, today we have a conference call with the mobile therapists scheduled for 12:30. They're working with us to work with Justin using ABA. It's mostly a refresher session but it's hard for us to be consistent since we have such little contact with him. I wish they were more hands on like when we had home therapy all those years ago.
Old 03-05-2020, 01:28 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

Just school and didge lessons online.
Old 03-08-2020, 04:13 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Laundry today after my walk. I need to get back in shape.