Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > Advice from Dads for Dads
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2013, 01:35 PM
Alpha Dog

Default Biting

My 2 year old has been biting his mother and myself. He was laying in my lap this morning and just turned over and left teeth marks on my lower shin. UUGH!!! Has anyone else's child done this and what did you do to discourage it?
Noah & Abigail - class of 2029
Old 08-28-2013, 02:56 PM
Beer me!

Send a message via Yahoo to tt3

Is he doing it for "fun"? He's looking for the reaction, I'm guessing everyone he bites makes all sorts of fun screaming sounds and yelling and stuff. My middle one went through that. Every time she bit we'd give a stern "NO BITE" and remove her from whatever she was doing. If she was snuggling, no bite! and no more snuggling, playing with her sister, no more play time.
Take away the reaction and isolate. That's my advice. Don't yell or anything else.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:38 PM
Alpha Dog

The only ones he is biting is me and the wife. On some of them he will do it then say "no bite". After we have told him not to do it in the first place who knows how many times. We also give a stern "ouch!" when he does it so he knows it hurts us. But he still does it.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:40 PM
"Not Willsdad"

I'd punish him more. TT said isolate. For sure. Time out left and right. He is old enough to know better. At least it's not other kids right now.

(someguy) "I'd absolutely recommend teabags."(someguy)

I AM a Southern-fried Maple Leaf.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:51 PM
Very fortunate

This may sound crazy but our 6 year old did the biting thing at that age and after enough was enough we bit her back ,,she never did it again
Old 08-28-2013, 04:06 PM
Just Dad

Our little girl does that with her two lower teeth now. Brother hasn't gotten his teeth, so we don't have that problem with him yet. Right now we pull her back from us quickly, because we are usually holding her when she does it. Seems to be working.

We have caught her and brother fighting over the same toy, and she grabs his arm or shirt and tries to bite the top of his head. We kind of make a negative (wrong answer) buzzer sound to get her attention and show her that is not desired. It worked with our Great Pyrenees.

"Just smile and wave, boys, smile and wave"--The Penguins, Madagascar

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
Old 08-28-2013, 05:48 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Yeah, biting is one of my "hot buttons" too but at 2 I wouldn't make a big deal of it. Most likely it's either just sensory seeking, a by-product of teething (molars are coming soon) or just trying to find a new way to get your attention.

If you think it's being done for attention and you feel you need to scold I'd advise you to keep your cool, not make too a big deal out of it and let them know that when they do it the fun stops. Stop for a breath, say no once (in a firm but not a raised voice) and remove them from the area. At 2 they don't know right vs. wrong, only what is fun or gets them more attention.

If it's teething or sensory then get them a hard rubber teething implement that is tubular with bumps on it. Yes, they make them and no they are not phallic. They often come in either a T shape or can be hooked to a lanyard.

My problem with biting is when kids do it to each other. The victim can't help but scream and lash back and then you find yourself having to put out two fires instead of one. If they bite another parent's kid then you have to put out three.

If none of this seems to help, you then one thing I'd strongly recommend long sleeves and earplugs or headphones. Sometimes I know I get overstimulated and I need to got to my happy place.
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 08-28-2013, 05:58 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Here I wrote a QV novel and TT summed it up nicely. Keep the theatrics to a minimum though.

FWIW my 9yo still bites for attention but with hope you won't have to go through what I'm going through.
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 08-28-2013, 07:03 PM
Alpha Dog

Thanks guys for the input. After that incident this morning he hasn't done anything. We do have a couple of the multi teethers, it has different textures on each side. We got two so they don't fight over them. He is a little slower than his sister at communicating. She has been faster at most things than he has.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:44 AM
Autistic.

You could also offer an alternative such as something he can bite. The ouch or letting him know that biting hurts is another thing