Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > DIY Dads
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2016, 09:03 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tuttle View Post
Yep, I dig Kwaks guitar build threads
Me too.
Got my list done just before 5.
Dog run set up in yard
Bought and put up outlet plate covers, dealed with cable company.
Bought and put up the ugly white shower curtains
Got a key made.
Scrubbed all the downstairs windows.
Eyed that wood floor wash by bonou
Think l have a beer and sweep out the garage.
Then put Pippa in the shower
Old 07-18-2016, 02:55 PM
Just Dad

So this weekend I finally got the motor and transaxle mounts changed on the Montana. The engine mount was just beat to crap. I paid an extra $90 for the acdelco/OEM/GM parts this time instead of the autopart's store standard, so hopefully they will last a little more than four years.

I also rotated the good-tread tires back to the front while I had it up on the jack-stands. I've been meaning to have them rotated for months.

This also provided me with an opportunity to clean and organize some of my mess of a garage. Overall, a really good Sunday. Lots of major NUTs (nagging, unfinished tasks) off of my list.

"Just smile and wave, boys, smile and wave"--The Penguins, Madagascar

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
Old 07-19-2016, 01:57 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Send a message via AIM to gduck Send a message via Yahoo to gduck

I read all that and realize I really need to learn more about repairing my own vehicles - at least for some smaller things. I can at least change oil and filters, but beyond that I'm sadly helpless.
Old 07-19-2016, 02:34 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

Angry

I'm not allowed to work on the cars.
Well, I vacuumed upstairs, swept and mopped downstairs. All by 1030. Did laundry yesterday. Exhale.
We both got "grounded" today by Mom. We pissed her off. But... Poppa is grounded, I asked for today to "rest" no travel, no commitments. No stress= no seizures. It was a busy weekend.

Last edited by irie feeling; 07-19-2016 at 02:43 PM.
Old 07-19-2016, 03:32 PM
Career SAHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gduck View Post
I read all that and realize I really need to learn more about repairing my own vehicles - at least for some smaller things. I can at least change oil and filters, but beyond that I'm sadly helpless.
It can be kind of fun, also frustrating at times. I love learning how some of that stuff works. I've totally rebuilt engines years ago, what an awesome feeling the first time it starts up after pulling it all apart. It's all way easier with youtube and other internet resources. It's like cooking, you follow the recipe. If you're into it, you start learning the little nuances.
Old 07-20-2016, 10:58 AM
Just Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by gduck View Post
Get a Haynes or Chiltons manual for your car. Sometimes you get a bit more detail with Chiltons, but Haynes seems to have more pictures. Sometimes you can find the dealer service manual for under a $100. Those are almost gold, because not only do you get details that anyone can follow you get lots of pictures and part numbers.

Riggs is right, youtube and internet forums. Its just a matter of finding the right search terms. The manuals are also a good resourse for torque specs, in which I am a firm believer.

Old 07-20-2016, 11:00 AM
Just Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riggs View Post
It can be kind of fun, also frustrating at times. I love learning how some of that stuff works. I've totally rebuilt engines years ago, what an awesome feeling the first time it starts up after pulling it all apart. It's all way easier with youtube and other internet resources. It's like cooking, you follow the recipe. If you're into it, you start learning the little nuances.
True. Nothing like having the engine start after a tear-down and rebuild. Unfortunately, I don't have the time or space for that kind of fun anymore.

Old 07-20-2016, 01:02 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCubs View Post
True. Nothing like having the engine start after a tear-down and rebuild. Unfortunately, I don't have the time or space for that kind of fun anymore.
Truth.
Old 08-29-2016, 04:19 PM
Just Dad

My king-size bed project version 1.0.

Right now, the two halves of the bed are stacked so that we can get around them in the garage. A king is basically two XL twins. My wife wants me to build the kids' new beds for next year which these will probably become after I make king bed version 2.0.

I plan to make a couple wooden keys (C-shaped) to lock the two halves together to make it a king. I'm a little bit of a purist and don't use screws and bolts if I can help it. The whole thing is glue, wooden dowels, and tight fittings, so it took a little longer to cut and assemble than if I had just used some deck screws.

Dado notched 4X4 posts for the legs. This way none of the pieces really hang on one another, they sit in shaped notch or pocket.

Next time I will laminate a couple or three boards to make a post instead of using 4X4's. As you may be able to see, the posts crack when they dry. A few boards glued and clamped together would have made a much stronger post, but I had already bought and cut the 4X4's by the time that thought had hit me.

I think that I will get some sheets of cabinet plywood to make high backs and sides for the kids' beds next year. I'm thinking castle or racecar shaped beds.

Last edited by TwoCubs; 08-30-2016 at 03:27 AM.
Old 08-29-2016, 06:24 PM
Career SAHD

Damn nice construction there twocubs. Impressive work with the dowels and tight construction, that's not easy with 2X lumber. Those things are STURDY! Sounds smart on the laminated legs next time, some of those 4 x 4's can sure twist too. What you have looks fine though.