Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Other Stuff > Sports Talk
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2019, 01:00 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

I got Yankees tickets for the 12 against the O's. Acces to the Pepsi lounge and Audi club on Main level.
They were gifted. Not looking forward to the drive.
Old 08-06-2019, 01:48 PM
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by irie feeling View Post
I got Yankees tickets for the 12 against the O's. Acces to the Pepsi lounge and Audi club on Main level.

Ahhhh, nothing like driving in the Bronx in August. And to watch them play against one of the the worst teams in MLB!
Old 08-06-2019, 04:42 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B. View Post
Ahhhh, nothing like driving in the Bronx in August. And to watch them play against one of the the worst teams in MLB!
Splains why they were gifted.
Old 08-06-2019, 09:37 PM
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Splains why they were gifted.

Bring your wallet!

Robinson Cano hustles to first base twice this season. He injured his legs both times. Good riddance.
Old 08-07-2019, 01:19 PM
Super Duper Daddy

What did I tell you, GB. The Brewers look like the Dodgers compared to the Pirates.
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 08-10-2019, 02:53 AM
Trophy Husband

LFGM!

Mets are on fire!
Old 08-12-2019, 12:30 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

Not going to the game. Boss has a hearing at 430. Can't take off. Don't want someone else who knows NOTHING about the case to step in for you.
We would never make to the Bronx during rush hour in time.
We live 2 hrs away.
In the NYC are there's traffic jams 24/7.
Old 08-12-2019, 12:57 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Pirates suck wind again. You know it's bad when you watch every game expecting the other shoe to drop. It always happens and the Pirates have found more and more ridiculous ways to lose. They seem to set themselves up for it.

Last night was no exception. They went into the 7th 4 runs ahead. Then the wheels came off the wagon. I watched it unfold in a restaurant and I saw several people just respond with a slow shake of their heads.

It's become the habit of manager Clint Hurdle to pull the starting pitcher well before the 6th inning - whether or not he's being effective. The bullpen has had a history of being so bad that the collective ERA is the worst in MLB. The defense has sunk to the same low standard and helped the other team not only scratch back and get back in it - but take a commanding lead. Miscommunication in shallow center and a pop fly turns into a hit. The catcher loses sight of a wild pitcher and the runners advance. Then the third reliever of the game gets felt up (more like he gets raped in the back seat) and gives up a grand slam. Then, when it finally seems they can't screw up anymore they bring in the closer that they couldn't trade to the Dodgers for two decent infielder and put him in a situation where there's no prayer of him getting a save.

The fans have long since been disenfranchised. We're talking about over a generation of losing baseball. New blood in 2011 resulted in at least meaningful baseball after the trade deadlines but then it became clear that every year became a rebuilding year and the names on the uniforms became a blur as players and pitchers would move on to have better careers elsewhere - or be traded so late in their careers that they would drop out of the league altogether in just a couple of years.

Sure, the GM would make some trade that showed promise but in the end it was always about the money and not the desire to put a winning product on the field. Year after year, the Pirates would be at the bottom of the list with regard to payroll - often citing the excuse that Pittsburgh is a small market and fans aren't doing enough to support the team. Meanwhile larger markets like Miami can barely fill their stadium and other small markets like Cincinnati and St. Louis and Milwaukee outspend them and become contenders every year.

This weekend the press jumped on the bandwagon to throw the front office under the bus and there's nearly a bloodlust for people in the front office and dugout to lose their jobs. These are likeable people sure, but they are starting to crack under the pressure and getting downright huffy in interviews. Nobody likes eating humble pie in that business.

Quite frankly, I hope it happens - but the real problem isn't those who are doing the coaching or the drafting and development. It's the ownership who have gotten fat because the entire league's business model is broken; media contracts and profit sharing from the larger markets have made Pirates ownership fat and content.

It will take a miracle for that to change though. IMO baseball was broken by the players back in the 80s when steroids ran rampant. That's when the pendulum swung for me and the owners became overly enabled to treat players little better than trading cards from Topps in Moosic, PA.

But I digress. Here it is early August and yet again baseball season in Pittsburgh is effectively OVER. Even preseason football is drawing more attention. By the time the Pirates close down the locker room in late September we'll all be looking forward to hockey. Hell, I already am! The NFL is even worse than MLB with all the drama lately.
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 08-12-2019, 01:54 PM
Trophy Husband

Let's Go Mets!
Old 08-14-2019, 07:12 PM
Trophy Husband

Quote:

Sooooooo, how was the game? MLB should make any game the Orioles play in free for the fans to attend. what a joke.