Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > DIY Dads
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2019, 11:45 PM
Trophy Husband

3 loads of wash which had to be dried at the Laundromat after I found that there was no heat working in the dryer. Did some banking and picked up and applied fertilizer for the lawn. Food shopping then diagnosed and ordered parts for the dryer repair. Made an surprise trip to the Vet to pick up meds for my older dog who has been found to have an intestinal parasite, UHG! Snuck in an elliptical session and roped my car off for a front brake job tomorrow. Beer me.
Old 08-15-2019, 08:40 PM
Trophy Husband

I fixed the broken heater element in the electric clothes dryer. Total cost was $33 and I that included extra parts that were in the kit but I did not need at this time. Fairly easy job but the only hurdle I hit was getting the heat vent tube back on the back of the dryer. What a PIA. Obviously Whirlpool must have found out this flaw because every video I saw on Youtube had a better designed set up for that pipe on the same machine that was easier to reinstall. A number of cuss words later all is good to go. Beer me!
Old 08-16-2019, 10:42 AM
Just Dad

Yesterday, I dug-up the septic lid. I didn't know exactly where it was or how deep. A couple hours and a couple feet down, I found it. After, showering and spending an hour or so to cool-off, I went ahead and ordered a riser kit so I would not have to do this again. What a PIA!

Now to get the honey wagon out here to pump it.

"Just smile and wave, boys, smile and wave"--The Penguins, Madagascar

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
Old 08-16-2019, 12:24 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B. View Post
I fixed the broken heater element in the electric clothes dryer. Total cost was $33 and I that included extra parts that were in the kit but I did not need at this time. Fairly easy job but the only hurdle I hit was getting the heat vent tube back on the back of the dryer. What a PIA. Obviously Whirlpool must have found out this flaw because every video I saw on Youtube had a better designed set up for that pipe on the same machine that was easier to reinstall. A number of cuss words later all is good to go. Beer me!
Bravo!

One of my many jobs, was appliance repair.
With dryers it's usually 3 things. 1.Heater coil, 2.thermo hydrostat-both easy- or 3.timer. If it's the timer, might consider a new one.
Old 08-22-2019, 02:33 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Last week I replaced the toilet valve and ordered a new tank to replace the old cracked one with a cracked lid too. The new valve hasnít fixed the problem so Iím thinking the tank innards have worn out too.

Well, the new tank is in and it has all the new inner workings. Iím tempted to buy a whole new valve and supply line and remove any ambiguity from the equation. Wish me luck!

PS: I also need to paint behind the toilet since the tank will be out of the way. While Iím at it Iíll switch out the toilet seat too. The king will have a new throne.

PPS: the new marble counter top came last night too. Itís packed in a crate and weighs 200 pounds so Iíll need help getting it upstairs once the new vanity comes. At least I can measure things though. It will be a tight fit.
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 08-22-2019, 02:44 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

Mostly school. Occasional vacuuming and a load of laundry. School is priority. Then dinner by 515 of course.
Bottled ships are done for now. I wrecked the last one. It had been so long I forgot to put adhesive under the keel. So, after it was in, I moved it to side, and put some adhesive down. On the way out, my tool hit the pull lines and they got tacky and stuck together. Individual line control was lost. Each line has a purpose. There was 11. Game over. Shipwreck in a bottle.
I'm still hurting. It was a couple months to make.
The Lexington is awaiting sails and a bottle. Looks like the Constitution import. I could bottle it like that, but they look better with sails.
I removed the other one from the bottle . The masts broke. I knew they would. I stripped her down to the hull. I'll rebuild it. God willing and if the creeks don't rise.

Last edited by irie feeling; 08-22-2019 at 02:55 PM.
Old 08-27-2019, 07:23 PM
Super Duper Daddy

So far Iíve lugged a 200 pound slab of granite countertop with two undermiunted sinks upstairs before tearing out the old vanity and the carpet out of the bathroom. Yes, I said carpet. They did weird stuff with bathrooms in the 80s. Next is the toilet. Sayinara! After that, the sheet of linoleum it was sitting on. Bye bye bye.

Tomorrow Iíll run around to the hardware stores for . It takes more energy for me to leave the house than it is to gut it. I must be depressed.
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 08-30-2019, 12:44 AM
Trophy Husband

I had my HVAC company here to do tune ups on my 2 HVAC units. OK, I did not did not do the actual work so sue me.

Anywhoo, I mowed the lawn today and with Fall coming lowered the blade height. 5 large bags of clippings. UHG! Last week my trusty probably 12 year old Lawnboy push mower starts coughing smoke and sputtering. I figured it was almost toast. I did some research last week figuring it was about to die and got stoked on the Ryobi 40 Volt mower. Going Green! Cheaper than the Lawnboy that I bought years ago. No brainer.I guess the Lawnboy caught wind of my thinking of it's soon demise. It worked great today. And due to the grass height had to do all areas twice to clear clippings. 2.5 hours of mowing. Go figure.
Old 08-30-2019, 01:51 AM
Wiper of Noses

Hey guys. It's been awhile since I last posted. Good to see the site still here. This was a place I could have some adult chat in my daddy-stays-home days from 2007 to 2010.

I've been back at work now at my old pre-SAHD job since 2010. My wife went part time in 2012 and has been ever since. I miss the kids being little and all those glorious days with them. I was moving all the old kid website links in my browser to an archive file and ran across this one. Had to say hello.

If you're still on the SAHD journey, enjoy it. My girls are 13 and 12 now. They are doing great in school, taking Honors classes, and one is a runner on the HS cross country team, a church volunteer, and the other is into dance and cooking.

Won't be too many more years and I'll be moving them into college. Trying to enjoy these last few years with them.

Anyway, peace out and keep up the great work.

C-train
Chris
South Carolina
Old 09-01-2019, 04:03 AM
Homeschooling soccer dad

Dang.
9 yrs seems like yesterday. Glad to hear your girls are doing well. Sorry you had to leave us.
We understand you gotta do what's best for your family.

Nice to hear from you.
Jeff