Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > DIY Dads
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2019, 02:30 PM
Super Duper Daddy

I'm going to a meeting with my wife to discuss potential changes to Justin's living accommodations. She's working from home so I may run out to the grocery store and try to beat the impending snow storm rush.

Otherwise, I'm looking around the area for retirement living options for my mom.
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 01-16-2019, 03:22 PM
Trophy Husband

Getting the oil changed and tires rotated this morning. I was asked to leave the car overnight because they were very busy and not sure how long it would take to do the work. It was done by 9:00AM. WTF?! at least it is done early. Would have rather waited for it this morning.

My niece, who has been living with us for a month or so, my daughter and I are going to look at some pet friendly apartments this afternoon. I guess there is a glut of them right now. Many are giving very nice incentives. We shall see.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:13 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

School was a beotch.
I let her go on her own the first day of the new semester and she bombed.
I got yelled at. So now I'm 100% slowing her down, go back and check your answer be you click "submit answer" always asking - "are you sure?"
Today the finale was 2 paragraphs typed on the pc in a forum. Hit the button and "you get what you deserve."
Sheesh.
In other news, last night, after failing 3 previous clear nights since Christmas, I programmed the telescope properly and was able to tour the cosmos until I got clouded out around 9:30. I saw Mars, and showed it Pippa so she could tell her friends, and a few Messier objects and lastly checked out the 1/4 moon under low and high magnification.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:45 PM
Trophy Husband

I don't think I have been out of this house and off my property, aside from snow blowing, for more than 2 hours the last 4 days. This is getting old. Today I did a deep cleaning of the basement including the full bathroom that my son and his friends pretty much lived in over the holidays. Boys will be boys! YUK! About a 3 hour job. Did a few loads of wash and changed sheets as well. Need to take the 2 mutts to Petsmart to get their claws trimmed. Too friggen cold today. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:05 PM
Super Duper Daddy

That's why I hate winter, Mark. You're practically locked in your own house just taking care of crap.

My wife has given me the green light to get the ball rolling on the bathrooms, but first she wants me to clean up the clutter in the basement and make her a wine rack. There are boxes of crap that need to be sifted through - and a lot of stuff that likely needs to be shredded. Stuff that comes in the mail tends to pile up.

The wrench in the works is that my mother has been wanting to spend a lot of time with me and Joey had yesterday off and a 2 hour delay today. Granted, I don't need to look after them like I used to have to do with Justin - whom I will be visiting tomorrow after lunch - but it's a matter of focus. I can't be single-minded on a task if there are other people around who periodically request my attention.

Meanwhile, I'm also doing things for me. Since the humidity has plummeted during this cold snap I can't really do fine woodworking - the exception being that I can make the wine rack out of plywood, which is less likely to warp. So instead I've been making jigs (like a shootin board) and molds out of 3/4" MDF for my next guitar build and sharpening my plane blades and chisels. I ripped several boards to 10" with a circular saw and fence got a new skinny 1/8" blade for my band saw and cut out the outlines for the molds so I've done the hard work already. MDF is messy to work with though, but I managed to rig a jig to the shop vac to cut down on the worst of the dust. I have yet to sand though. It still stinks.

Last edited by Kwak; 01-22-2019 at 02:08 PM.
Old 01-23-2019, 04:25 PM
Super Duper Daddy

So far laundry and a little writing. I have to run out to the hardware store and buy another sheet of plywood to do my project. Yesterday, HD gave me my veteran's discount by looking at my driver's license but the cashier told me that they usually require a special card from the VA. I told her that it's been 30 years so if I ever had one it's long gone by now.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:02 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

Supervised school with Pippa.
Finished the Bermuda Sloop! The hard part is done (3 months) you can see it at bottled shipbuilder.com/ then go to forum build logs, Jeff b's build #3. I took photos for last page.
Next step- launch it in the bottle. (That's easy)
Old 01-24-2019, 12:58 PM
Super Duper Daddy

I decided to keep it simple for my wife's wine rack project. Yesterday I went to Lowe's and bought a couple of the "premium" Douglas fir 2x4's though - the regular ones were all warped - and a 1x8x8' pine board for the "shelves." Total cost: $16.

Ironically, I had to buy a circle cutter the other day from Home Depot. It also cost $16. That kind of sucks, but I'm thinking that once I finish one rack she's going to want another.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:45 PM
Trophy Husband

I spent 2 hours and 15 minutes in the good old dentist chair this morning. I had to have an old crown removed, then some decay under it removed, get the tooth base built back up and then the temporary cap went on. My dentist is great. I never feel a thing during or after he works on me. The procedure took so long the numbing went away about 30 minutes after I got home. Ate lunch pretty on schedule. Unfortunately my dentist is retiring this summer.
Old 01-28-2019, 12:56 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

Finished the ship in a bottle Satuday night.
Sheet for wonky gong in, but she's in and and the cork is on.

Highlight for Sunday was a playdate with Pippas bestie bowling, and an early dinner out.
Could only let 5 bowl in the 1 hr package so the dog and I sat and watched. 80' music videos on big screens in front of each lane, but strobe lights flashing for an hour had me nauseous. The restaurant was loud!

At dinner it had all got to me. I knocked my drink over. (Myclonic seizure) and fought off the big one for the next hour or so with the implant overide.

Great to watch bowling. High score was 110.others were battling around high 70s and having fun.