Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > DIY Dads
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2019, 07:25 PM
Super Duper Daddy

After SEVEN years I felt like I was FINALLY ready to glue on the soundboard of my second build yesterday.

This contraption is called a gobar deck and it's a clamping apparatus that dates back to ancient China IIRC. The yellow rods are nylon and flex but exert a workable pressure. By adding them individually, I can see where I can need to put pressure on by visual inspection. If I used clamps the view would be obstructed. Also, I put the whole thing on a turntable so that I could rotate it 360 degrees. I used Titebond,which is a yellow alpharesin glue that doesn't begin to set for about 15 minutes, allowing me to work at leisurely pace. The bottle says it takes about an hour to harden but also says not to mess with it for about 12 hours.

I took it out of the mold this morning after letting the glue sure for 12 hours and have been tapping on the top like a drum with the flesh of my fingertip. The reason I'm doing that is to see if the top is in 100% contact with the rim, like the head of a drum on the rims. Why? Because a guitar soundboard works under the same general principle, even if there's a hole in the middle. It's made to vibrate.

Next step is to glue on the back. The same general theory applies, but this part will not vibrate directly. Its function is to provide rigidity and its effect on the tone of the instrument will be mostly reflective in nature.

More on that when I get to that step though.
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007

Last edited by Kwak; 03-28-2019 at 07:30 PM.
Old 03-29-2019, 11:57 AM
Homeschooling soccer dad

^^
You couldn't just put a piece of ply wood and a couple cinder blocks on top?
Old 03-29-2019, 12:30 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by irie feeling View Post
^^
You couldn't just put a piece of ply wood and a couple cinder blocks on top?
No, the gluing surface is not flat. The entire guitar is designed to counter about 300 pounds of pressure caused by steel strings. The top and back are very slightly bowl-shaped around the lower bout and ramped at the upper bout. The geometry is very complicated by design but long story short the middle is higher than the rims and a flat plywood clamping caul wouldn't bend. I need that clamping pressure around the edges only.
Old 03-30-2019, 02:45 PM
Super Duper Daddy

In other news, I still have to paint the foyer. I got all the trim painted gloss white and spackled and primed a bunch of divets in the drywall. The telescoping ladder has even been propped against the wall for days now. It's GO TIME - but I can't make myself do it. Ladders are still scary for me and drips and drops would raise Her Majesty's ire.
Old 04-03-2019, 12:39 PM
Super Duper Daddy

I got all the high walls painted so the ladder is back in the garage. After awhile I felt completely comfortable being up high on the ladder, but I need to do the low walls now.

It was needed. I noticed that they'd needed another coat to even up the coverage. You could even see the roller marks in places. It irked me. I imagine it would really bother somebody with OCD.
Old 04-03-2019, 12:55 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Meanwhile, I'm also re-learning 3D design. I've been following a tutorial on YouTube in a free but very complex software program called Blender. It irks me that the "expert" I'm learning from is a younger person who has 20 years of experience but he's Aussie so it's all good. He tends to drink too much coffee and ramble, but then I can't really point fingers can I?

I'm 7 lessons in and feel like I have a good handle on the basics. It was a little tough extruding a coffee cup from a basic cylinder but I did it. OTOH then he throws in complicated things like particle systems:

The next tutorial is lighting, and I'm really looking forward to it. This program is MUCH more powerful than the software I learned on in school 25 years ago. Again, I'm irked because I spent $7K on top of earning my college tuition via the GI Bill and feel like my last 2 years of college and 2 years of struggling afterward were a complete waste of time.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:34 AM
Just Dad

I finished the front end steering and suspension on my truck this last weekend. What a difference! The steering is much tighter and the ride is a lot smoother. No more popping and squeaking on bumps in the road.

I also finished the installing the rest of the RO system.... a high flow faucet at the sink. Excellent coffee and tea.

"Just smile and wave, boys, smile and wave"--The Penguins, Madagascar

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
Old 04-05-2019, 02:55 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

After the girls went to bed, I put the standing rigging on the s.i.b.
Old 04-08-2019, 09:00 PM
Trophy Husband

This morning around 10 AM I had blood drawn for an upcoming annual physical. Usual chores and shopping before going outside for day2 of the Spring Cleanup. got another 3 hours in today and I should get the pruning done tomorrow. Yesterday I was sweating my ass off and took a few short breaks. Today it was misting out and I was damp and cold. I came in after soaked though. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.
Old 04-09-2019, 12:18 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Nothing doing yet, but I have plans. Let's see if they get followed:

1: drop off the bikes at the bike shop for adjustments. I have a ride at the end of the month. I also want to pick up some better degreaser, cleaner and other bits and bobs. Dawn dishwashing detergent and WD-40 are no-nos. I expect to catch hell.

2: go to Home Depot and pick up a new door. I'm thinking hollow core just to save some $$$.

3: load up the old bike along wtih Joey's for an early afternoon bike ride.

4: work on my portfolio. I finished the donut tutorial last night. I was amazed at how the GPU did all the heavy lifting for modeling but with regards to lighting and rendering ... well take a look:

Yeah, the batter looks like Play Doh. Some people find that stuff tasty.