Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Other Stuff > Sports Talk
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2019, 01:20 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Default Nfl 2019/2020

I'm surprised nobody kicked this off after the draft. Schedules have been released, old baggage has been shuffled about the league and young bodies enter into the system bring hope to fans everywhere.

Where do you guys think your teams stand? Do you applaud their decisions during this offseason and what are your hopes for the upcoming season? Are there any other teams you're watching that may get into your team's way? Are some of those teams going through unrest that have you hopeful of your team's chances to compete and surpass them?

Being in Pittsburgh, I am of course rooting for my hometown team but there have been big changes that hopefully have trimmed some fat and humbled others.

Locals still complain about coach Mike Tomlin (which I have always dismissed to the thinly veiled racism that is rampant in the area,) but now even the apologists are showing unrest. For the past few years he has had a losing record in the playoffs and the 2018 season's drama culminated in them not even making the playoffs.

QB Ben Rothlisberger has adopted an "aw shucks" public personality but behind the scenes he has made Machiavellian maneuvers that have resulted in the firing of the offensive coordinator and run several offensive players out of town in truly dramatic fashion. Of course, I'm talking about Le'Veon Bell and Antonio Brown (who both cracked under the behind the scenes pressure to reveal that they were also Narcissistic nut cases themselves) who have gone on to other teams and promise to continue the drama in those dysfunctional franchises.

As for the draft picks, I can't really comment with any authority. I'm hoping that they pan out and don't go all nutty as they realize their potential and get all big-headed.

Looking around the league, I see that the Steelers open with the Patriots. Even though Robert Kraft looks like he's going to escape prosecution for his little soire in the massage parlor in Florida on a technicality I'm wondering if Goodell is going to slap him with a hefty fine (I'm being sarcastic as the max is $500K which is chump change for any owner) and slap him with a "suspension."

As for those ex-Steelers, Antonio Brown was just in town yesterday at the court house to get his speeding ticket reduced to just a fine. He did 110mph in a $100K+ Italian sports car in a 45 mph zone but nobody was hurt so it's all good I suppose. He tweeted for his fans to all show up at the courthouse, but I didn't hear that Grant Street was closed so I'm hoping that that's the last we have to deal with him. That being said, the Raiders are the favorite for HBO's Hard Knocks this year...but then there's the Jets.

Speaking of which, I understand that there was a shakeup in the front office that sent the GM packing after the draft and the rift with ownership was over our formerly very own pot smoking, jet skiing, season skipping Le'Veon Bell who got a sweet deal from the outgoing GM. It makes me wonder, will he even come to training camp this year? I highly doubt it. He might as well stay in Miami because the new GM was vocally opposed to the deal.

That being said, closer to home I think we have more to worry from the Cleveland Browns this year.
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 05-28-2019, 06:50 PM
Diaper Jockey

Packers legend and 5 time world champion quarterback Bart Starr passed away on Sunday at the age of 85. While I'm too young to have ever seen him play, you don't grow up in Wisconsin without being well educated on the Packers "Glory Years" and all who were a part of it. The term "Class Act" is thrown around rather loosely these days and many who are labeled as such turn out to be @$$holes in the end. Bart Starr's picture is next to the definition of class act. A great player and an even better human being. One of the founders of Rawhide Boys Ranch which has achieved national acclaim for their work with at risk youth. Worked with and served numerous charities in Wisconsin and throughout the country. Truly the face of the Green Bay Packers from his playing days to the day he passed. While most have made peace with it, Brett Favre admittedly went to a rival to stick it to the Packers. I have a feeling that when Aaron Rodgers retires, he will rarely be seen around these parts the rest of his days. Bart Starr IS the Green Bay Packers. Having nothing to do with the rain, I don't think there was a dry eye in the building when he came out to greet Brett Favre on the night number 4 was retired on the Lambeau Field facade.

Rest in Peace Bart Starr, 1934-2019

"Ninety feet between bases is the nearest thing to perfection that man has yet achieved."

Red Smith
Old 06-01-2019, 02:19 PM
Diaper Jockey

Packers new head coach Matt LeFleur tore his achilles playing basketball. Surgery tomorrow. 6 months recovery. Has to coach from a "cart" for the foreseeable future. Hopefully not a metaphor for the upcoming season!

"Ninety feet between bases is the nearest thing to perfection that man has yet achieved."

Red Smith