Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > DIY Dads
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2018, 06:18 PM
Trophy Husband

So far, Went food shopping, Picked my daughter up at school since she was not feeling well and took her to the Dr. Double ear infection and they will treat her for strep as a precaution too, ran to the pharmacy and had to make a special trip to a pet store to get dog food, got fresh gas for the snow blower that it looks like I will be dancing with on Sunday and after just finishing eating a little lunch I am going to put away all the table leaves and folding chairs from last night basketball dinner. Who knows after that.
Old 02-16-2018, 06:48 PM
Beach Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B. View Post
I cringe when I hear the term "Jam" while describing the task of folding electric wires in an outlet. Yikes!
Yeah I know. Probably not the best word to use. House was built in 1999 so wiring is fairly new. A little extra wire, nothing exposed. Really just have to fold the wires back into the box.

So far today I finished cleaning up from wife's "book" club last night. Got out and did a 11 mile trail run and am working on laundry.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:06 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Send a message via AIM to gduck Send a message via Yahoo to gduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
Yeah, but a little electrical tape on the exposed metal areas puts my mind at ease. When I tore out the walls in Justinís old room and saw house my house was wired and being paranoid about flaming toasters itís a wonder I can sleep at night.

In cleaning the basement I discovered a box of white electrical outlets and will be giving them a try on Monday. In the meantime, I have a couple of ďsmartĒ recepticals on order from Amazon that are removable. If they donít work out in the kitchen they will at least serve well as replacements for the bulky old timers we used to use for nightstand lamps when going on vacation.

Smart Plug 2-Pack Upgraded Mini WiFi Smart Outlet Work with Amazon Alexa Echo/Google Assistant and IFTTT, No Hub Required by KKUP2U https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078LRB2YZ..._vYWHAb7Q883PT
Cool. Iíd love to hear what you think of those smart plugs as Iíve been looking at them with curiosity but havenít pulled the trigger.

Couple years ago I replaced all the light switches since they were pretty old, and we had about 4 different styles running throughout the house with none of them even close to matching. The outlets arenít quite as bad, but Iíd do what to replace them because some of them are starting to look pretty worn down. I was actually impressed when I checked a year or two ago and all the outlets were actually grounded - with all the odd issues this home has I was fully expecting to find several ungrounded outlets.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:08 AM
Homeschooling soccer dad

Thanks to some YouTube videos I figured out that star ball eraser puzzle thing that someone stuck in a goodie bag at the birthday she went to Saturday.
First time she handled it, she said, "oh look it's a star- it's a ball. It's an eraser."
Next she bounced it hard on the floor and it exploded in 6 pieces (I shit you not) and there's been crying about it ever since.
Now it's fixed.
I saved the video on my phone. Cause tomorrow. I won't remember.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:45 AM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gduck View Post
Cool. Iíd love to hear what you think of those smart plugs as Iíve been looking at them with curiosity but havenít pulled the trigger.

Couple years ago I replaced all the light switches since they were pretty old, and we had about 4 different styles running throughout the house with none of them even close to matching. The outlets arenít quite as bad, but Iíd do what to replace them because some of them are starting to look pretty worn down. I was actually impressed when I checked a year or two ago and all the outlets were actually grounded - with all the odd issues this home has I was fully expecting to find several ungrounded outlets.
Wife made a face when I told her I bought them and my reasoning. She told me I need to get over the toaster thing and just unplug it. When asked ďwho in their right mind would jam something in a toaster she of course took her fatherís side, saying you knew it was broke and that after 20 years I should let it go.

Sheís right of course. Sheís ALWAYS right.
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 03-01-2018, 03:57 PM
Beach Daddy

Knocked out a few more plugs and switches. Just doing a little at a time. It is one of those projects that doesn't seem that expensive until you get into it and it adds up quick, especially with a few dimmer switches.
Wife is traveling home today so I am doing a bunch of cleaning today.
Heading to girls school for my volunteer lunch - i have a "mentor" lunch with a
2-3 4th grade boys once a week. Not sure how much actually mentoring is going on but they seem to like it and this is my second year with one of the guys.
Old 03-01-2018, 05:08 PM
Trophy Husband

I planned to spend some time out back to start cleaning some leaves and smaller branches that fell over the winter. I learned that there is a Nor'easter coming through tomorrow Saturday so i figured cleaning up back would be a waste of time and went out and did some food shopping to make sure my kids have stuff in case they are housebound.
Old 03-02-2018, 01:52 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757dad View Post
Knocked out a few more plugs and switches. Just doing a little at a time. It is one of those projects that doesn't seem that expensive until you get into it and it adds up quick, especially with a few dimmer switches.
Wife is traveling home today so I am doing a bunch of cleaning today.
Heading to girls school for my volunteer lunch - i have a "mentor" lunch with a
2-3 4th grade boys once a week. Not sure how much actually mentoring is going on but they seem to like it and this is my second year with one of the guys.
Yeah, same here plus some switches. I'm switching out all the beige ones for white. I don't understand what all the different switches are for though. While I get that some are meant to be one of two or more switches to work in the same room or circuit, they all look the same to me. Yet some are $.69 while others are over $5. I went with the $1.29 model.

My real pet peeve are the old-style hard wiring that's done through my house. The doorbell, the "vent fan" above the stove (which is not vented) and the old style hard wired telephone "outlets." I have to find some way to cap them all because they're obsolete and useless.
Old 03-02-2018, 01:59 PM
Beach Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
Yeah, same here plus some switches. I'm switching out all the beige ones for white. I don't understand what all the different switches are for though. While I get that some are meant to be one of two or more switches to work in the same room or circuit, they all look the same to me. Yet some are $.69 while others are over $5. I went with the $1.29 model.

My real pet peeve are the old-style hard wiring that's done through my house. The doorbell, the "vent fan" above the stove (which is not vented) and the old style hard wired telephone "outlets." I have to find some way to cap them all because they're obsolete and useless.
Outlets were easy to buy- bought the "preferred" from HD. The 2nd step. Now when it came to switches I was doing a lot of YouTubing. I am buying the "preferred" for the single pole (1 switch). I bought the "preferred" for one of the 3 way switches- but i don't like the way it looks. The standard 3 way looks the same as the preferred single- so that's what I decided on.
I have been doing the take off 1 wire from the old and then attach it to the new to avoid any confusion. The old 3 way switches have the screws reversed from the new ones I have- realized it after the 1st one didn't work.

I am also wrestling with the telephone jacks- I need to see what I can do to cap them off and just put a solid wall plate on there.

Seemed like a "frivolous" project until I saw the white ones next to the old yellow ones.
Old 03-02-2018, 02:34 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Yup. I went with the HD preferred but actually want to go with the tamper resistant outlets because my kids seem to have deathwishes.