Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Other Stuff > Weight Loss
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2009, 06:36 PM
Fear the Baker

Default Riding for distance

Ok so i know there are some serious bike riders here. I am currently riding about 12 miles a-day on a seven speed cruiser, probably wieghs 45lbs. the only problem spot i have is climbing. So here the questions what can i do to improve my climbing ability? Are the any good riding progams to train for distance riding? I am going to go on a a three day camping tour in the spring So any advice on distance riding would be heplful

Ash:"dad how can a dirty hippy like you be such a flag waving do gooder"

Qaundo Omni Flunkus Moritati
Old 07-17-2009, 06:59 PM
My Trike Kicks @$$

Send a message via ICQ to DarthDaddy Send a message via AIM to DarthDaddy Send a message via MSN to DarthDaddy Send a message via Yahoo to DarthDaddy

For me personally I have found the best way to work on hills is to ride them. There is a local park nearby with some short STEEP hills. When I first rode the hills I had to stop and get off, now I can cruise up them around 10 MPH.

I ride a Trek 7300 Hybrid. There are a ton of DVD programs out there and a few friends use them on their trainers in the winter.

I have also found taking the kids in the trailer on rides has increase my abilities across he board. Towing nearly 100 lbs (including trailer) really give you a workout.

XBOX LIVE ID: WONKEMTEL

Mmmmmm....Pancakes!!!
Old 07-17-2009, 07:37 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Send a message via AIM to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Skype™ to Captain Tuttle

Yeah, you've just got to do them to get better. One of the things that I've found to be useful is to "plan" your shifts. I always try to keep my legs spinning at about 90 rpm, give or take (it's called "cadence"). When my cadence begins to fall I'll shift to the next lower gear, even before I start to feel the strain. That way I'll avoid the big fatigue hit in the middle of the hill. It comes eventually (especially at my age lol) but hopefully you'll be near the top and you can just muscle through.

Edit: you should also keep hydrated on any ride. Do you have a water bottle cage on your bike?

Last edited by Captain Tuttle; 07-17-2009 at 07:46 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:09 PM
My Trike Kicks @$$

Send a message via ICQ to DarthDaddy Send a message via AIM to DarthDaddy Send a message via MSN to DarthDaddy Send a message via Yahoo to DarthDaddy

Go even one better then a water bottle cage... A Hydration Pack! You don't have to get the Camel Packs... I got mine at Costco for $20.00 and the bag has been great and the bladder has held up better then my friends Camel Pack....

I actually have 2 Cages and a Hydration pack. I also have a Trunk Bag that I carry all my tools and stuff in on rides. No I am not concerned about extra weight on my rides like many people...

Mmmmmm....Pancakes!!!
Old 07-17-2009, 08:18 PM
"Not Willsdad"

How about a new bike? Isn't a cruiser one of those old man/woman bikes? Get a road bike. Those things are like 2 lbs.

(someguy) "I'd absolutely recommend teabags."(someguy)

I AM a Southern-fried Maple Leaf.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:23 PM
Fear the Baker

I will be getting a Tommasso for my birthday in october. So i just ride what i got. I ve got a cage on the bike but also have a 2liter camelbackpack for riding to work on the weekends. im getting pretty good better at the whole shifting thing took a while to figure the right time to shift but i think i am getting it just got get better at those hills.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:49 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Send a message via AIM to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Skype™ to Captain Tuttle

A Tommaso? Damn, those are nice rides. Which one are you getting? It's going to be a big jump for you (in a good way!) going from a cruiser to one of those babies.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:12 PM
Fear the Baker

I am wanting the Imola with the carbon fork but am at the mercy of the wife when it comes to which one i get. I will be taking it to the Bike shope for tuning and custom fitting tho

I know right i should be able to damn near fly after riding that cruiser all these months, i hope it is a good change i am more worried about the posture change than anything else

Old 07-17-2009, 11:28 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Yeah, it'll be fast. Try to get the carbon fork...I've got one and wish I had carbon seatstays as well. The carbon really absorbs the bumps. My frame is aluminum too and it's stiff as hell...I feel every bump. Combine that with a short wheel base and it makes for a fun, fast ride. It's responsive but it was twitchy as hell until I got used to it.
Old 07-18-2009, 02:26 AM
My Trike Kicks @$$

yeah that is a sweet ride, but I don't do road biking. Around here that is like suicide... I ride as little as possible on the roads outside of subdivisions. I swear people try to hit you when you are riding on the roads. Death Race comes to mind. There are however so many trails I really don't need to ever ride on the roads. I will take the kids in the neighborhood, but thats the extent of the road riding I will do.

This is currently parked in my Garage. My Best friend was having troubles with it and the only shop that will take it is a couple hours away. So I took it in on Monday and Adjusted the derailleurs and odds and ends and it rides great. He is not very good with tools, they are best to be kept out of his hands.

I think I rode it like twenty miles the past few days. I had it at 28 MPH on the street in front of my house... Very Flat road... I am getting one in the spring. This is a Terra Trike Zoomer Elite. ($2500) Plus custom racks, bags, two halogen headlights, multiple rear lights and reinforced rims. My friend has Cerable palsey and it works great for him. I am not spending that much... I am getting a base Terra Trike Cruiser ($1499)

If you have never ridden one you are missing out. They are AMAZING to ride.

Mmmmmm....Pancakes!!!