Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > DIY Dads
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2018, 08:24 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

Spelling test.
She aced it!
Had an emergency lemonade spill and had to grab a bunch of "floor towels" to pick it up quick.
I ran them through the washer/ dryer. And mopped that floor and pulled out the fridge to get under it.
Cleaned 3 toilets and vanities.
Can't do anymore.
Old 11-05-2018, 08:27 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

Put the "sea" in the bottle.
Followed the method on the tutorial. What a cluster f*ck. Toatally slimed up the inside of the bottle. Spent more time trying to make things right, than if I would have done it the way I know how.
Pippa and I still sick, so we not doing much. She watched a video on Times tables. That's school for today. (Sick day)
Old 11-06-2018, 01:53 PM
Super Duper Daddy

I got a nice pat on the head from my father in law and shared many of my ideas about the renovations/remodeling of our home. As much as I badmouth the guy, I gotta say he's generally pretty positive. That's probably because back when he was trying to sell his house way back when I helped him out with a lot of his renovations.

We had a good discussion about the kitchen, which is Kelly's sore spot. She complains about the clutter (which is fair) but a lot of things need to be moved around. From talking to him we came up with some pretty good ideas:

- we have an excess of pots and pans, including THREE pasta pots. A lot of the pots and pans could be stores in the basement or garage (which themselves need to be decluttered)

- we have another cabinet devoted mostly to medications - which is unacceptable if we're going to have Justin come back home. FIL suggested we put a cabinet in the power room that we could lock.

- We also have enough wine glasses to throw a gala and it literally rings when we walk past because it's crammed full. We could rid of half of them and I could make some sort of rack for the rest that they could be hung from.

- We have another cabinet that's crammed full of coffee cups, travel mugs and plastic drinking cups. Adjacent to it is a cabinet full of mismatched and badly aging Tupperware and water bottles. It all needs to be weeded through and stored elsewhere.

- Another cabinet is filled completely with spices and measuring cups. We need a spice rack and a series of hooks for the measuring cups/spoons. We have too much.

- the pantry is something that I regularly tackle with extreme prejudice. It is a jumble of boxes, bags and baking implements. A big part of it is are the blue shopping bags from the grocery store that seem to reproduce like rabbits. A lot of that stuff could also be stored downstairs.

- the top of the refrigerator is also a mess. I don't even know why she insists on buying bread. Nobody eats it, it goes bad in less than a week and it's usually moldy before anybody (usually me because everybody else is too short to even look up there) throws it away after it's gone moldy.

- I've already proactively tried to keep all the cleaning implements under the sink. I used to put the knives and spatulas under there as well.

- On the wall opposite to the sink is an underutilized cabinet that is actually jammed full of markers and batteries and whatnot. It's essentially a clutter bin for oversize items. Below it is where we keep the casseroles, mixing bowls and cookbooks.

Cosmetically, the kitchen is ugly because the cabinets are the original honey colored oak with an arched inlay. It's contractor grade stuff that was installed 30 years ago. We called in several cabinetry places to give bids and it was something like $8K-$10K to put in all new cabinets. Going DIY would cost a fraction of that. FIL looked at my wainscoting project and said I could probably even make my own cabinet doors - though just ordering custom sized ones online would be something like $40 a door.

We also talked about the bathrooms upstairs. He agreed that I could easily do the demolition, lay the subflooring/planks and vanity myself for much less than the $12K I was quoted. The problem has been that my wife doesn't listen to me.

She listens to Daddy though.
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 11-06-2018, 07:53 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

Still sick. No expectations except that we both take our meds on time. There's a check off sheet on the fridge.
So I put waves on the sea. In the SIB forum saw that a decent builder described how he made waves with putty. It was all about the tool. So I searched high and low for hours until I found something similar, and and constructed one.
I practiced for a bit outside the bottle and spent up until 2:30 until I was satisfied. I had to smooth out the sea once inside the bottle and start over. After that, there was more cleaning the film from putty (a kind of film). I did take a lunch break and some mind the child breaks.
Nerve wracking - but idle hands...
Old 11-06-2018, 09:09 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Send a message via AIM to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Skype™ to Captain Tuttle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
I got a nice pat on the head from my father in law and shared many of my ideas about the renovations/remodeling of our home. As much as I badmouth the guy, I gotta say he's generally pretty positive. That's probably because back when he was trying to sell his house way back when I helped him out with a lot of his renovations.

We had a good discussion about the kitchen, which is Kelly's sore spot. She complains about the clutter (which is fair) but a lot of things need to be moved around. From talking to him we came up with some pretty good ideas:

- we have an excess of pots and pans, including THREE pasta pots. A lot of the pots and pans could be stores in the basement or garage (which themselves need to be decluttered)

- we have another cabinet devoted mostly to medications - which is unacceptable if we're going to have Justin come back home. FIL suggested we put a cabinet in the power room that we could lock.

- We also have enough wine glasses to throw a gala and it literally rings when we walk past because it's crammed full. We could rid of half of them and I could make some sort of rack for the rest that they could be hung from.

- We have another cabinet that's crammed full of coffee cups, travel mugs and plastic drinking cups. Adjacent to it is a cabinet full of mismatched and badly aging Tupperware and water bottles. It all needs to be weeded through and stored elsewhere.

- Another cabinet is filled completely with spices and measuring cups. We need a spice rack and a series of hooks for the measuring cups/spoons. We have too much.

- the pantry is something that I regularly tackle with extreme prejudice. It is a jumble of boxes, bags and baking implements. A big part of it is are the blue shopping bags from the grocery store that seem to reproduce like rabbits. A lot of that stuff could also be stored downstairs.

- the top of the refrigerator is also a mess. I don't even know why she insists on buying bread. Nobody eats it, it goes bad in less than a week and it's usually moldy before anybody (usually me because everybody else is too short to even look up there) throws it away after it's gone moldy.

- I've already proactively tried to keep all the cleaning implements under the sink. I used to put the knives and spatulas under there as well.

- On the wall opposite to the sink is an underutilized cabinet that is actually jammed full of markers and batteries and whatnot. It's essentially a clutter bin for oversize items. Below it is where we keep the casseroles, mixing bowls and cookbooks.

Cosmetically, the kitchen is ugly because the cabinets are the original honey colored oak with an arched inlay. It's contractor grade stuff that was installed 30 years ago. We called in several cabinetry places to give bids and it was something like $8K-$10K to put in all new cabinets. Going DIY would cost a fraction of that. FIL looked at my wainscoting project and said I could probably even make my own cabinet doors - though just ordering custom sized ones online would be something like $40 a door.

We also talked about the bathrooms upstairs. He agreed that I could easily do the demolition, lay the subflooring/planks and vanity myself for much less than the $12K I was quoted. The problem has been that my wife doesn't listen to me.

She listens to Daddy though.
Don't save everything you clean up to cut the clutter Kwak, just trash it. You'll never use it again.

Or have a garage sale
Old 11-07-2018, 01:35 AM
Super Duper Daddy

I’m planning on taking a trip to Goodwills. I have toys in the basement that are taking up floor space and dressers in the garage that are taking up space there are as well. I’ll have my wife put them up for sale on Facebook.

Meanwhile, I’ve cleared up a lot of space in the cabinets and lazy Susan. Kelly is not happy but oh well. She tends to buy things without even checking if we need it. We have things that have been sitting in the cabinets for years. Ironically this is the kind of stuff we make fun of my mother for.

Last edited by Kwak; 11-07-2018 at 01:39 AM.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:32 PM
Super Duper Daddy

I love keeping busy. Sometimes I forget to eat.

I just spent the morning turning my cold air return duct into Swiss cheese. The good news is that now I have the humidifier in place - just not air tight, hooked up to the water line and drain or wired yet. It's a good thing I don't pay myself by the hour; I'm slow.

I need to run off to Lowe's to get some duct tape, more sheet metal screws, some PVC fittings and 240V wiring to make it all work.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:53 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

I painted whitecaps on the waves I made yesterday. Bottle cleanup wasn't so bad. Only on the neck and just past it.
Then it was lunchtime.
After lunch I let customer service at the scope manunufacturer know they didn't send me a cable. They said, "no worries, it's being sent now, feel free to call anytime you have a scope issue."
Then, even tho I'm still a it sick, I got busy. Cleaned some wood.cabinets, tables, banisters, coffee table.
Then I vacuumed downstairs,
Mopped the kitchen,
Mopped the long hallway with wood cleaner crap.
Before I knew it was 5 o'clock. Chit.

Last edited by irie feeling; 11-07-2018 at 09:55 PM.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:56 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

I painted whitecaps on the waves I made yesterday. Bottle cleanup wasn't so bad. Only on the neck and just past it.
Then it was lunchtime.
After lunch I let customer service at the scope manunufacturer know they didn't send me a cable. They said, "no worries, it's being sent now, feel free to call anytime you have a scope issue."
Then, even tho I'm still a it sick, I got busy. Cleaned some wood:cabinets, tables, banisters, coffee table.
Then I vacuumed downstairs,
Mopped the kitchen,
Mopped the long way with wood cleaner crap.
Old 11-08-2018, 01:45 PM
Beach Daddy

started the day off cleaning the girls bathroom. Nothing like snaking hair out of the drain first thing. Lots of laundry to be done today.