Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Other Stuff > Sports Talk
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2020, 07:41 PM
Diaper Jockey

Default Mlb 2020

The calendar has turned. 2020 Hall of Fame class announced. Figured it's time for a new thread! I love the HOF announcement. Love the debate. Love the player comparisons. Love how hysterical the New York media gets when one of their boys falls one vote short of being unanimous!

https://nypost.com/2020/01/21/derek-...ame-stupidity/

Jeter got 396 out of 397 votes to fall one vote shy of being only the second unanimous selection in HOF history. Another New York darling, Mariano Rivera, was the first last year.

I'll go on record that I love Christopher "Mad Dog" Russo. I find him entertaining, especially in his absolutism about everything. What he's most absolute about though is that if it didn't happen in New York, it didn't happen. Jeter is an absolute, no doubt, sure fire Hall of Famer. No rational person would argue otherwise. But 99.7% of the vote isn't enough for New York.

Back to my boy Mad Dog. I recall when they were talking about the Brewers last summer and his side kick Bruce Schein posed him the question, "Which two players have a statue outside of Miller Park in Milwaukee?" Dog had no answer. Schein gave him Hank Aaron. Dog..."Aaron never even played for the Brewers." In fact he did in 1975 and 1976, but also played in Milwaukee with the Braves from 1954-1965. Dog...."Well if we're including the Braves, Eddie Matthews." Nope. "Warren Spahn." Nope. "The Brewers don't have any Hall of Famers. Who else could it be?" Robin Yount. "WHAT!? A statue of Yount!? You've got to be kidding me! Guess they'll give anybody a statue in Milwaukee." Shein, "Yount is a Hall of Famer. Elected in 2009 with George Brett and Nolan Ryan." Dog, "Just because you were elected doesn't mean you're a Hall of Famer. And Yount is no Hall of Famer."

Some of Mad Dog's criteria always is, 1) Did he ever win an MVP award and if so did he win multiple, and 2) Was he one of the standout players of his generation.

Stats on 162 game averages.....
Jeter - BA .310, HR 15, RBI 77, OPS+ 115, WAR 72.4
Yount - BA .285, HR 14, RBI 80, OPS+ 115, WAR 77.3

Yount won 2 MVPs in 1982 and 1989. Jeter won zero. Yount had the most hits of any player in the 1980s and Jeter had the 6th most hits of any player in the 2000s, the decades in which each player played the entire decade. According to Mad Dog, Yount is not a Hall of Famer, and it was a tragedy Jeter wasn't unanimous, a sentiment shared by much of the New York media including the Post article above. "Well Jeter played in New York. There's no comparison!"

Always a fun conversation. But it's all in the head of us Midwesterners that there's a coastal bias when it comes to such things. Just ask the New York media.

"Ninety feet between bases is the nearest thing to perfection that man has yet achieved."

Red Smith
Old 01-22-2020, 11:46 PM
Trophy Husband

GBDad, I always use the Yount vs Jeter as to the benefits in playing in NY. Jeter is a Hall of Famer but was never the best in his position even one season. Like A-Rod said back in the day before he became a Yankee....."Ya gotta pitch to someone on the at Yankees lineup."

BTW, Criag Biggio was also a "poor man's Jeter."
Old 01-27-2020, 07:26 PM
Diaper Jockey

Went to Brewers On Deck Fan Fest yesterday. Good time but insanely crowded. Honestly, I left with a much more optimistic view of this year's team than I did going in. So if that's the goal of fan fests, mission accomplished.
David Stearns and company I guess have earned the benefit of the doubt with their analytics driven, rather than money driven, approach to player acquisition. Milwaukee, under the current ownership and baseball operations will never sign the "big free agent" so let's see what happens. The Reds certainly went the other way this offseason, spent like crazy, so we'll see how it shakes out. With their pitching and acquisitions some are calling them the NL Central favorites.
Cubs pretty much stood pat. Cards didn't do much. The Buccos? Sorry Kwak! But you never know. It should be a very competitive division again. Spring training is just around the corner!!!

"Ninety feet between bases is the nearest thing to perfection that man has yet achieved."

Red Smith
Old 01-27-2020, 11:53 PM
Beach Daddy

I can't wait for baseball season. Wife and I made it to game 5 of the World Series in DC. Would have been a lot more fun if they would have won that game but it was an awesome experience. I'm counting this year is a freebie, Just going to sit back and enjoy it.
Old 01-28-2020, 07:44 PM
Diaper Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757dad View Post
I can't wait for baseball season. Wife and I made it to game 5 of the World Series in DC. Would have been a lot more fun if they would have won that game but it was an awesome experience. I'm counting this year is a freebie, Just going to sit back and enjoy it.
Certainly tough to repeat and we've seen the World Series "hangover" before. The Braves will probably still be the favorite in the division. Phillies will likely take a step forward under Joe Girardi. The Mets will be the Mets. And the Marlins figure to be everyone's whipping boy again.

You'll like Eric Thames. When the dude gets hot he can carry the team for a couple weeks at a time. Still upset the Brewers let him walk.

Red Smith
Old 02-05-2020, 05:31 PM
Diaper Jockey

Wow! Big trade last night between Red Sox/Dodgers/Twins. If they weren't already, the Dodgers have to be the favorite out of the National League with the acquisition of Mookie Betts and David Price. Price made Kenta Maeda expendable and he was shipped off to the Twins. Red Sox shed salary and got some prospects from LA and MN. Anyone who thought they were closing the gap on the Dodgers just got punched in the face.

Red Smith
Old 02-07-2020, 06:40 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBDad View Post
Wow! Big trade last night between Red Sox/Dodgers/Twins. If they weren't already, the Dodgers have to be the favorite out of the National League with the acquisition of Mookie Betts and David Price. Price made Kenta Maeda expendable and he was shipped off to the Twins. Red Sox shed salary and got some prospects from LA and MN. Anyone who thought they were closing the gap on the Dodgers just got punched in the face.
This trade is exactly why I think baseball is broken. This was a salary dump. Boston wanted to get out of paying the luxury tax. Meanwhile, the Pirates (who have Boston's old GM) have a projected team payroll of less than $50M and IMO the dumping has only begun. IIRC USA Today projected the Yankees and Dodgers to vie for the top spot whereas Pittsburgh and Miami will be at the bottom in wins.

IMO there needs to be a salary cap and floor set like they have in the NHL.
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 02-10-2020, 07:29 PM
Diaper Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
This trade is exactly why I think baseball is broken. This was a salary dump. Boston wanted to get out of paying the luxury tax. Meanwhile, the Pirates (who have Boston's old GM) have a projected team payroll of less than $50M and IMO the dumping has only begun. IIRC USA Today projected the Yankees and Dodgers to vie for the top spot whereas Pittsburgh and Miami will be at the bottom in wins.

IMO there needs to be a salary cap and floor set like they have in the NHL.
The current Competitive Balance Tax (CBT) acts as a defacto salary cap. Only 3 teams paid the tax last year - Yankees, Red Sox, and Cubs. So 27 teams abided by the “salary cap.” The CBT will be a major area of contention in the next collective bargaining agreement negotiations. The players see it as a cap. The tax threshold for 2020 is $208M. The first year you exceed it you pay a 20% tax on overages. Second year, 30%. Third consecutive year, 50%. There is also a surtax based on how much over the threshold you are. It can get costly in a hurry. If you dip below the threshold for just a season, the timetable gets reset. So baseball really does have a salary cap, at least for now. Large market teams can, and will, pay the tax if they feel it gives them a good shot at a championship. But coming off an 84 win, 3rd place season, with no path to get better with their current roster/payroll, Boston isn’t going to continue paying that tax, especially at 50%, plus a surtax.

The bigger issue is that the Los Angeles Dodgers have a 25 year, $8.5B TV contract that pays them $340M a year, the largest in baseball. The Milwaukee Brewers have one of the smallest at $21M per year. There’s no floor/cap combination that is going to close that gap. Where can you set a floor in the name of fielding a competitive team that doesn’t have the potential of bankrupting a small market team with low attendance, a la Tampa? Where can you set a cap in the name of allowing all to compete where the revenue of a large market team doesn’t obscenely outweigh what is spent on salary...enraging the players union? We know a $90M team can’t compete with a $250M team. So does it have to be $125M/$200M? Brewers spent $125M last year, the largest payroll in franchise history, but it was a one shot deal to “go for it” one year after making it a game from the World Series. This year they’ll be back under $90M, which honestly is probably what they can realistically sustain. Right now no one is telling the Dodgers they can’t spend $250M. But if they do the tax is going to make it more like $300M - the excess essentially going to pay other teams to beat you. So what do you do as a large market team? Build a team that is going to hopefully win it and then dump salary to get below $208 so you reset the tax. Players union hates it! But the formula works. The Cubs and Red Sox won championships in the last 4 years and the Dodgers and Yankees are knocking on the door. One thing is certain, the next Collective Bargaining Agreement negotiation is going to get ugly!

Red Smith
Old 02-11-2020, 01:21 AM
Super Duper Daddy

It makes my head hurt, but then I look at the NFL and wonder why it's completely different? I mean, is Kansas City a big market? If so, why doesn't LA compete and franchises come and go from that city? It seems like the opposite is true.
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 02-11-2020, 03:14 PM
Diaper Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
It makes my head hurt, but then I look at the NFL and wonder why it's completely different? I mean, is Kansas City a big market? If so, why doesn't LA compete and franchises come and go from that city? It seems like the opposite is true.
The major difference with the NFL is that all teams receive an equal share of television revenue from a contract negotiated by the league. Each NFL team receives $225M/yr from the current TV contract and the salary cap for the upcoming year will be in the $200M range. TV revenue essentially pays the player salaries for all teams. But remember, you still have the New England Patriots and Cleveland Browns. But why can’t they do that in baseball? Well, the NFL has a national TV contract with most games available on free over the air network TV. Meanwhile, each MLB team negotiates their own contract with local/regional sports networks available only on pay TV.

On a typical Sunday you’re going to get the game of your local team on either CBS or Fox - and then an alternate game on the other, a “Game of the Week” in the late afternoon time slot on CBS or Fox, and the Sunday Night Football game on NBC. Monday night you get another game on ESPN and Thursday night another game on NFL Network/Fox. So every week, from coast to coast, everyone in America has access to at least 6 of 16 games being played featuring 12 teams. And the NFL through flex scheduling makes sure that the most intriguing games are in prime time on free TV. More eyeballs, higher advertising rates paid by national advertisers (Bud Light, Ford, Microsoft, Pepsi, etc.), more money for the networks, more money for the NFL. But football is played only 16 games a year, then three rounds of sudden death playoffs.

Completely the opposite in baseball. Played 162 games a year with postseason series play. Mostly night games and all 15 games are essentially played at the same time with a little overlap because of time zones. Football is appointment TV - you know when your team is playing and you make it a point to watch. And when it’s over, watch more football. People consume baseball differently. I “follow” all 162 Brewers games every year. But I don’t sit down from 1st pitch to last out and watch the whole game. I get score change alerts on my phone. I listen to the start of the game on the radio while playing with kids in the back yard and grilling burgers for supper. Time to get the kids ready for bed - back to phone alerts - phone chimed, what happened? Kids are in bed...Now, sit and relax and catch the last 2 or 3 innings on TV. Advertisers know this. While every NFL game has advertisements from the national big boys, Brewers games get local ads from “Gruber Law Offices - One Call! That’s All!”, “Allis Awnings, Windows, Doors, and More!” (You know the jingle. Oh wait, you don’t.), and Mill’s Fleet Farm. So why is L.A.’s TV contract $340M/yr and Milwaukee’s $21M? Greater L.A. is 13 times bigger than Milwaukee. (21X13=273) Pretty close approximation. The Dodgers are also a premium brand in the sport which adds a premium to that contract.

So long story short, the NFL is one large TV product targeted to a national audience that people get for free. MLB is 30 individual TV products sold to 30 different markets of vastly different sizes, that for the most part is not on free TV, and viewership is erratic. Eleven of the top 20 highest rated primetime television programs of 2019 were NFL football games. The national TV networks literally fight to get a piece of the NFL pie. They’re not fighting to show a Brewers/Pirates game on a Tuesday night in June. That’s why market size matters so greatly in baseball and isn’t much of a factor in football.

Red Smith