Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Other Stuff > Sports Talk
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2020, 12:32 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

Default No sports?

I passed by a virtual Formula 1 race a few nights ago. Not kidding.
Old 04-29-2020, 06:34 PM
Diaper Jockey

Oh, absolutely! Latest craze. There was a virtual NASCAR race on Fox a couple Sundays ago. I came across actual baseball players playing each other in MLB The Show 2020 on MLB Network. I know a lot of people are into it but I just can't bring myself to tune in to other people playing video games.

"Ninety feet between bases is the nearest thing to perfection that man has yet achieved."

Red Smith
Old 04-29-2020, 09:09 PM
Trophy Husband

I don't mind watching replays of old sporting events (that are well edited for time btw) and such. I ain't watching gaming or virtual anything.
Old 05-29-2020, 02:25 PM
Super Duper Daddy

I'd rather participate in online gaming than watch - but even then I don't like the sports. I'd like to see some of these pro athletes playing virtual dodgeball with hand grenades.

To be honest, I never thought of NASCAR or golf as sports. Any schmuck with money can do either. Baseball kind of hovers over the line since it's so slow paced and low impact. The NFL seems to be the most video game-like product but if they ever come up with a similar product with robots it's Game Over.

Then there's the NHL. Gary Betteman just ended the 2019-2020 season and they're exploring having an expanded playoff season of 24 teams quarantined in two host cities which will essentially be hosting their respective conferences. Pittsburgh is vying for one of the host city spots. Play could pick up in July.
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 05-30-2020, 01:45 AM
Trophy Husband

Who needs sports on TV when you can watch live riots across the country? Like 70's NHL games!
Old 06-03-2020, 12:03 AM
Homeschooling soccer dad

I've been watching Lance on 30 for 30.
F bombs left and right.
He's still pissed.
Everybody was doping.
Landis was busted. He ratted everybody out. They focused on Lance as the Target. Investigators offered immunity for written testimony for all the others Landis accused.

Do your remember where you were when you saw the "Exclusive Oprah interview?" Did you throw out your yellow wristband the next day?
Old 06-04-2020, 05:22 PM
Diaper Jockey

I saw about 2/3rds of the second part. Never had the wristband, but had a couple of Livestrong shirts. Not that I was a huge Lance fan but they were everywhere, and what the heck, I had a couple brightly colored ones for biking.

Had Armstrong said, "Yeah, I did it. It's not an excuse but it was just the culture of the sport at the time. I'm not going to point fingers at my fellow cyclists and try to justify it by saying everyone else was doing it too. I did it. It was wrong. I apologize. I hope in time people can forgive me," all would be forgotten. But he went on attack mode. Lawsuits, personal attacks, intimidation.

Alex Rodriguez is an interesting juxtaposition. He never really went on the attack. Never really apologized. Admitted very little. But somehow he's worked his way back into the good graces of sports and the general public. Ultimately, he's a pretty likable guy. Armstrong is just an @$$! He basically says he is and makes no bones about it. Interesting character in sports history.

"Ninety feet between bases is the nearest thing to perfection that man has yet achieved."

Red Smith
Old 06-08-2020, 01:48 PM
Super Duper Daddy

It's looking like baseball is not gonna happen. The latest proposition from the owners is a 48 game season. I can only wonder if that means they're going to waive the hangnail as a valid reason to put a player on the 14 day DL.

I begs the question: what will you watch over the summer? American Ninja Warrior?

It also begs another question: why hasn't another knockoff baseball league popped up? I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet after 2 years of failed off-league professional football and people experimenting with soccer.

That begs a final question: beside you guys who have memories of going to baseball games with your dads and buying peanuts and Cracker Jacks and all that rot, who really cares if baseball dies?

It's been dead since the 1990s for me. Since then it's been like watching NASCAR; just waiting for the next wreck to make it interesting.

PS: hockey physicals are today.
Old 06-10-2020, 03:17 PM
Diaper Jockey

They'll play. Even at a reduced amount the players have way to much money on the line to just walk away and say "We're not playing at all." Sides are getting closer.

My daughter loves American Ninja Warrior. PGA going to be up and running. I'll admit, I've tuned in to some German soccer - can't watch long, but I check it out every once in a while. Watched some Korean baseball. Baseball will be back. And word is the Northwoods League (summer collegiate baseball) is planning on getting going in July and we have a team.

I think three failed experiments with secondary football leagues have shown that there is no appetite for "less than" sports leagues.

Same could be said for any sport. I never paid any attention to hockey really. They cancelled a whole season a few years ago over a labor dispute and I didn't even notice. Because I don't care. But it is funny how baseball bares the brunt of society's angst toward professional sports. Hockey cancels a whole season, NBA had a lockout and shortened season recently, NFL had a dispute that locked out training camps a couple years ago and used replacement players in the 80's......No one cares. But did you know that baseball cancelled the WS in 1994? Those bastards. I'm never watching baseball again!!! MLB players use steroids. Dirty game. NFL players use steroids..."Will he be back from suspension in time for the Patriots game?" It's an interesting double standard.

PS: MLB Draft Tonight!

Red Smith
Old 06-10-2020, 03:57 PM
Super Duper Daddy

I dunno. The world is changing. Even NASCAR isn't getting a pass - even though I see people driving with windows open and no masks on. There are female and drivers with other than red necks in the mix now and there's a push to get the Confederate flag banned from events. I'm sure the people in southern Michigan will be outraged.

MLB with it's "soft cap and floor" system has become little more than a dog and pony show that drags on and has a pageant in the middle of the season. I would love to see the MLB enact an NHL like playoff structure of 16 teams in each "league." Today's player's counter seemed to sink pretty quickly.

Here's the way I see it: if you're not playing a full season you get paid for the percentage of the season you played. Otherwise they can shaddup and live off their stimulus checks. If your team gets in the playoffs then it's all gravy and it should be based on how far the team goes.

OTOH if there's some eligibility issue then IMO that's a a player-centric issue because it spans careers, not seasons so that's where they can get some sort of bye as far as I'm concerned.

I think they should also introduce the concept of Physically Unable to Perform stipulations and check for PEDs as aggressively as they claim to want to check for COVID-19 infections. It kills me to watch people sitting on a bench laughing and BS'ing while spitting on the floors like dock workers and earning not even tens (or even hundreds) of millions but 6 figures. I'd take a "job" like that if it even paid $40K.