Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Fishing Gear

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Other Stuff > Tech Tips
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2015, 09:51 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Default Water damaged iPhone 5S

You guys know the story: autistic kid loves iPhones. Autistic kid also looooooves water. Putting together should be AWESOME, right?

Yup. It got wet. Actually, it got dunked. In the laundry. During the wash phase so the water was nice and soapy. I admit I was caught off guard and didn't know what had happened until it was too late. Once I heard him reach the top of the steps the running washing machine is 3 steps away.

2 days in rice and my year old white iPhone 5S 16GB is unresponsive. Only when plugged in is there any sign of life. Even then it's just the boot screen. Unplugged? Nothing. I'm assuming the battery and the logic board are both fried. No idea about the camera or speaker but at least the display is intact.

So what's next? There's no insurance on this and I'm only halfway through my 2 year plan. Do I take it to the Apple store and go through the usual song and dance of "sorry, we can't fix it but we can sell you a new one for $600" or should I take it to one of the other "You Break It I Fix It" places?

What say you gents?

Oh and BTW, pls recommend a case. I had an Otterbox Defender on it which protects the phone from being thrown but not being dunked. If the cost of the repair + cost of case < cost of all out replacement + cost of case I call it a win. I'm already paying the price of my wife saying "I told you so" but I got points for confessing.
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 01-30-2015, 10:53 PM
Trophy Husband

From my experience water damage is not covered under most cell phone insurance policies so.....
There is a waterproof case for the iPhone. My neighbor has one. She even was daring enough to try it out. Guts I tell ya. Good luck Kwak.
Old 01-31-2015, 01:46 AM
Homeschooling soccer dad

I got the waterproof case. Costed $80. Our theory, if I get around water, I'll prolly fall in...with my phone.
Old 01-31-2015, 01:50 AM
Beer me!

Send a message via Yahoo to tt3

We bought the $40 replacement insurance on Val's Galaxy s3, not even six months and we're replacing it. Keep your phone in your pocket, no problem.

Good luck.
Old 01-31-2015, 04:24 AM
Super Duper Daddy

Well, I didn't get any extra insurance so that would be after the fact. I'm not a big fan of those policies anyway. IMO the manufacturer should stand behind their product but Apple is notorious for their schemes on how to get more money out of their customers. I'm not saying that their products aren't of good quality, just that they'd rather sell a new one at cost (and refurbish your old stuff) than to do even the simplest of repairs.

I'm thinking I'll have a "genius" look at the phone but if they try the same old sales pitch I'll take the phone elsewhere.
Old 01-31-2015, 01:33 PM
Beer me!

Yeah, I just mentioned it because we bought the phone outright. This was probably the first time in a long time that we bought a policy like that. This one made sense. $25 to replace a $200 phone owned by a known careless person.
Old 01-31-2015, 04:32 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Send a message via AIM to gduck Send a message via Yahoo to gduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
Oh and BTW, pls recommend a case. I had an Otterbox Defender on it which protects the phone from being thrown but not being dunked. If the cost of the repair + cost of case < cost of all out replacement + cost of case I call it a win. I'm already paying the price of my wife saying "I told you so" but I got points for confessing.
The Lifeproof cases are pretty damn durable. Shockproof and waterproof. They're pricey, but they do a good job. One of my wife's coworkers dropped his iPhone in a pond. He was able to fish it out and the thing still worked just fine.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:01 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Send a message via AIM to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Skype™ to Captain Tuttle

I lost my Galaxy S5 and it turned out I had "insurance". $200 deductible and the replacement phone wasn't as good. I ended up buying a Moto G for $200 outright and I love it more than my Galaxy.
Old 02-03-2015, 04:19 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Yeah. I walked into the Verizon store and they told me a replacement would be $200 as well and they weren't allowed to even open up the case. Typical Apple B#LL$#!T IMO.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:17 PM
Beer me!

Hey, our insurance policy on Val's will cut a check and send the $$ after we pay the $25 replacement fee. If she wanted she could pick another one. Better than having to buy a whole new one, I guess. Good luck Kwak.