Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Fishing Gear

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Other Stuff > Recipes
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2015, 09:22 PM
Diaper Jockey

Default Chili Secrets?

I mentioned that my daughter started 3K last week. It's at a Catholic school, therefore, tuition and a lot of volunteer hours. Well....to take care of two of our required 10 (since she only goes 2 half days a week, guess it's more like 50 hours if you're enrolled full time) my wife entered me in the Chili Cookoff for this Sunday. Conveniently occurring during the Packers opener against the Bears I might add. They claim there will be "many TVs" to watch the game. We'll see.

I really like my chili. Usually use ground buffalo, but it's hit or miss if you can find it any given day around here. If it's not available I use ground sirloin. Tomato puree, beef broth, onion, red peppers, jalapenos, garlic, chili powder, cumin, light red kidney beans, and a touch of cinnamon.

While I really like my recipe I'm looking for something to jazz up the flavor a little bit to set it apart. Not necessarily heat, but a bit more bold flavor. I picked up a chili seasoning blend today that I may go half/half with my normal chili powder to see what that does.

Anybody have any other tips/tricks they'd be willing to share?
Old 09-11-2015, 11:18 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Send a message via AIM to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Skype™ to Captain Tuttle

I'm pretty sure Costco has buffalo meat pretty regularly, at least mine does.

I put hominy in my chicken chili, think I got the recipe on here as matter of fact. My red chili isn't very good, would love your recipe
Old 09-12-2015, 12:40 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

Carrol Shelbys Texas chili seasoning kit. I add kidney beans at the end. I don't use the hot pepper spice in the kit. I pour it into my seasoning shaker , it's just too hot. Can't save the leftovers. It gets hotter.
Old 09-12-2015, 02:27 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Send a message via AIM to gduck Send a message via Yahoo to gduck

I like using a little smoked paprika in my chili. Gives it a little smokey something in the background - works especially well if you roast a pepper or two and toss them in there.

Man, now I think I'm going to have to make chili tomorrow.
Old 09-14-2015, 01:36 PM
Diaper Jockey

The Chili went over well. I made about 4.5 gallons and there was almost nothing left. That said, I didn't make the top 3 out of 16 entries, which is all they announced. After getting there I found that it was a "cookoff/contest" in name only. I thought there would be a handful of official judges and then the chilis would just be out for everyone to try. Turns out you just put your ticket in the bucket next to your favorite. Knew I had no chance when I saw a lady take a stack of tickets from the large group she was with and threw them in one bucket - and they had just arrived.

Oh well. Was still fun, was for a good cause, and heard some good comments on my chili. And the Packers won!

Last edited by GBDad; 09-14-2015 at 01:44 PM.
Old 09-16-2015, 03:25 AM
Super Nice Dad

My grandma used v-8 and a a nine bean mix, man I wish i knew her entire recipe, that was some good chili.

HockeySave.com
Old 10-22-2015, 12:50 AM
Homeschooling soccer dad

Hormel country home style. Quick and easy.