Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Fishing Gear

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Other Stuff > Daddy Deals
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2012, 12:37 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Send a message via AIM to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Skype™ to Captain Tuttle
Default 32 gig Google Nexus 7 Tablet

$216.99, cheapest I've seen for the 32 gig version.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Asus-Google-...-/190771024123
Old 12-15-2012, 02:52 PM
"Not Willsdad"

Looks like my son is joining "The Dark Side".

(someguy) "I'd absolutely recommend teabags."(someguy)

I AM a Southern-fried Maple Leaf.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:04 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Send a message via AIM to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Skype™ to Captain Tuttle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan View Post
Looks like my son is joining "The Dark Side".

Old 12-15-2012, 03:19 PM
"Not Willsdad"

LOL. You are too much. He's a kid. He don't know any better.

It does look like a great tablet. Was thinking about the 16, but also thought about the 32 for $250. So much storage for only $50 more. $ is tight here lately though so this deal was worth it. Thanks again. Hope it's awesome. If you have any apps for kids as far as keeping them on good sites and what not I'd love to hear. I want it to turn into the nabi 2 that I was thinking of getting.

Old 12-15-2012, 03:29 PM
Super Duper Daddy

The only advice that I could give about apps is to stick to the Google Play store. Android can be a bit more like the wild west when compared to Apple's ecosystem. My kids like the Angry Bird stuff, my daughter has some horse game she likes, World of Goo is excellent. Alot of the big games on iTunes are on Google Play. Mess around with it, Android is nice and that tablet has the very latest OS. Customization is a really nice feature, you won't realize how nice until you start messing around with it. Try some widgets etc.

Have fun with.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:46 PM
"Not Willsdad"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tuttle View Post
The only advice that I could give about apps is to stick to the Google Play store. Android can be a bit more like the wild west when compared to Apple's ecosystem. My kids like the Angry Bird stuff, my daughter has some horse game she likes, World of Goo is excellent. Alot of the big games on iTunes are on Google Play. Mess around with it, Android is nice and that tablet has the very latest OS. Customization is a really nice feature, you won't realize how nice until you start messing around with it. Try some widgets etc.

Have fun with.
Well, it is going to be his. So he'll have to learn to mess with it. I just want stuff on it that will enable more parental control. That is what I'm looking for. I know he'll find games he wants. That is the other downside . I have alot of good games already paid for on my apple account. We will be starting from scratch. STill, I think this tablet is pretty good from everything I've read and yours and other people's recommendations. Just need to find some tools to make it more restrictive for his purchases in the google store and website searches. He's pretty good about that and even got me to add "safe search for kids" on the iMacs and MacBooks so he can use it. It's a google search that has supposedly been screened to make it safe for kids.

If you know of any apps or whatever they are called on this device that add parental controls I'd love to hear it. He's a good kid and I want to keep it that way. LOL.

Old 12-15-2012, 05:07 PM
Super Duper Daddy

A quick search turned up this
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...idsplace&hl=en

It's free and has almost 1500 reviews, gets 4 1/2 stars. I'd start with that. If you're worried about him accessing the internet you could remove the internet icon from the front page, Android has an "apps" file that holds all of the applications and they don't have to show up on the main screens, you have to dig a little deeper for them. Let me go ask on some more technically minded forums that I haunt

You're going to need a google e-mail account for this if you don't already have one.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:48 PM
"Not Willsdad"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tuttle View Post
A quick search turned up this
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...idsplace&hl=en

It's free and has almost 1500 reviews, gets 4 1/2 stars. I'd start with that. If you're worried about him accessing the internet you could remove the internet icon from the front page, Android has an "apps" file that holds all of the applications and they don't have to show up on the main screens, you have to dig a little deeper for them. Let me go ask on some more technically minded forums that I haunt

You're going to need a google e-mail account for this if you don't already have one.
You really need a google email? I don't have one. Is that for the app store google store or whatever? Thanks for checking. I'll look at that app and may pre-load it prior to giving it to him.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:03 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan View Post
You really need a google email? I don't have one. Is that for the app store google store or whatever? Thanks for checking. I'll look at that app and may pre-load it prior to giving it to him.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure you need a Google e-mail. I've always had one. I know that you don't need one if you want to use the Amazon app store though, just an Amazon account. The Google/Android equivalent of iTunes is called "Google Play". It's got movies, books and apps. If you have any questions let me know, it's pretty seamless once you get it set up, everything downloads to your device wirelessly, no need to hook up to your computer (I think my wife's 4s does this as well now though).
Old 12-15-2012, 09:12 PM
Super Duper Daddy

I just learned that there's a way to set a PIN for store purchases
http://support.google.com/googleplay...answer=1626831