Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Fishing Gear

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > DIY Dads
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2017, 09:17 PM
Beach Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B. View Post
She suggested hiring a local guy we know to put up sheet rock and Spackle. It will probably cost me and extra $200-$300 or so but it will be kicked out in a couple of days and look better than I could do it.
This is basically what pushed us to hire out the painting. 6 Guys knocked out the ceilings in one day and 2 guys are knocking out the walls in 3-4 days. Would have taken me at least a month to do. We are up to 40 Gallons of paint on the walls. Ceilings took 22.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:28 PM
Super Duper Daddy

i admit it's tedious, but money's tight. I'm having trouble trying to put joint compound over the metal flashing around the windows.
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 01-23-2017, 01:00 AM
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
i admit it's tedious, but money's tight. I'm having trouble trying to put joint compound over the metal flashing around the windows.
I was wondering about that flashing in the earlier pics. Good luck.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:05 PM
Just Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757dad View Post
This is basically what pushed us to hire out the painting. 6 Guys knocked out the ceilings in one day and 2 guys are knocking out the walls in 3-4 days. Would have taken me at least a month to do. We are up to 40 Gallons of paint on the walls. Ceilings took 22.
That's with the house mostly empty, right? If you don't mind telling(PM me otherwise or not), what was the cost? Did that include trim? We're looking at having the interior painted in maybe a year or two.

"Just smile and wave, boys, smile and wave"--The Penguins, Madagascar
Old 01-24-2017, 01:33 AM
Beach Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCubs View Post
That's with the house mostly empty, right? If you don't mind telling(PM me otherwise or not), what was the cost? Did that include trim? We're looking at having the interior painted in maybe a year or two.
Yeah the house is mostly empty. I sold off most of the furniture once we decided we weren't going to rent it this summer (it was a vacation rental).

Ceilings were @ $2500 (included paint and labor).
Walls were $2400 (straight labor). We have spent about $1300 in paint. We chose to go with the Behr Premium Ultra. Could have gone with a lower priced paint but honestly didn't expect it to be this much paint. If we would have went with the Behr Premium we would have saved $400 (ballpark).
He quotes us $2000 labor to do the trim. I might regret this but I am going to do the trim myself. Have to save some money somewhere. We still have to buy washer / dryer, bedding, and a bunch of other odds and ends.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-25-2017, 12:14 PM
Just Dad

Quote:
Yeah the house is mostly empty. I sold off most of the furniture once we decided we weren't going to rent it this summer (it was a vacation rental).

Ceilings were @ $2500 (included paint and labor).
Walls were $2400 (straight labor). We have spent about $1300 in paint. We chose to go with the Behr Premium Ultra. Could have gone with a lower priced paint but honestly didn't expect it to be this much paint. If we would have went with the Behr Premium we would have saved $400 (ballpark).
He quotes us $2000 labor to do the trim. I might regret this but I am going to do the trim myself. Have to save some money somewhere. We still have to buy washer / dryer, bedding, and a bunch of other odds and ends.

Hope this helps.
We've got 9 and 11-foot ceilings with crown molding, so trim would be the main reason to hire someone to paint. That, and I hate painting trim. Tedious.

Spending extra on the paint was a good choice. The labor is always more costly. "Parts" are some of the last places that you want to try and save money sometimes. Who wants to have to do it twice?

"Just smile and wave, boys, smile and wave"--The Penguins, Madagascar
Old 01-30-2017, 07:01 PM
Beach Daddy

So I am painting all the trim and doors myself. No Crown molding so its just baseboards, doors, and windows. Slow and tedious.
We have to rooms with vaulted ceilings- which is what got us looking at having someone paint in the first place. I didn't want to mess with the ceilings.
The final count for our walls was 47 gallons.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:27 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

Unhappy

Quote:
So I am painting all the trim and doors myself. No Crown molding so its just baseboards, doors, and windows. Slow and tedious.
We have to rooms with vaulted ceilings- which is what got us looking at having someone paint in the first place. I didn't want to mess with the ceilings.
The final count for our walls was 47 gallons.
Oyyy. What you live in a castle?
Old 01-30-2017, 09:54 PM
Beach Daddy

House is about 3000 sq feet and we painted the whole interior. Walls are textured plaster and hadn't been painted since the house was built in 1999. So needless to say the walls were soaking the paint up. WAY more paint than I thought it would take which made me really happy we paid painters.
Old 02-18-2017, 12:33 AM
Super Duper Daddy

I have a couple of questions for you guys:

1: Regarding those of you who put in wainscoting that was more functional than decorative, what thickness backing board did you use? Originally I was going to use 1/8" thick fiberboard with a white face but upon inspecting the paneling that his RTF used to cover up their many holes in the walls I see that they used a thinner textured veneer. HD has something similar in stock but it's twice as much $$$.

2: I bought a replacement door but need to rout recesses for the bing places. I have a Dremel that could do the job but I don't want to burn it out. Do I need to invest in a full 1/4" router or can I get away with using a laminate/edge trimmer? The latter is about $50 cheaper and what I could use for my guitar project later on.
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007