Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Fishing Gear

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > DIY Dads
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2017, 12:21 PM
Just Dad

Looks good, man.

"Just smile and wave, boys, smile and wave"--The Penguins, Madagascar
Old 03-01-2017, 01:27 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

I like it too.
Problem with Titanic water heater.
Showers run cold on an 85 gallon tank? No way?
Well the plumber/ installer ran off with the owners manual.
Said he was mailing it to home owner.
I surfed the web, found it online, PDF, and investigated.
Couple problems:
The lower element- the primary temperature setting was at lowest possible setting. All the way left. 110.
The upper element - factory setting of 120. Too darn cold. It's like put your face under it and it feels good.
So I followed the instructions and turned both up to make Momma happy.
Now at 150 but out of the ground water is colder than city water temperature. Dialing for 150 but I bet it's lower.
Hot water don't last long. I bet we scooping off the top. Lower element not working. Water heater got banged all the way down the stairs. Plumber coming tomorrow. I'm gonna reset the thermostats to where they were and play dumbass.
Old 03-01-2017, 02:53 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B. View Post
Kwak, be advised, that does not look like Nitany Blue online. It looks like Mets blue and this guy loves it! Looking good.
Well, if the Bucs screw up this year then I'll at least be able to root for the Pittsburgh tie-in Neil Walker who got the contract extension.

I'd touched up some of the walls in the family room with joint compound in recent weeks but got sick of looking a white patches so yesterday I painted 2/3 of the room/kitchen where the paint was looking a little dirty. It looks good and seems to be holding after I mixed it all up but the can was really old and the paint was probably past its shelf life. The smell is a bit "off." I may have to put up another coat on top of it.

BTW, I love those little paint edgers. I haven't been taping edges and have belted out rooms in record time with minimal mess. They are a GODSEND in my book.

Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 03-03-2017, 11:45 AM
Homeschooling soccer dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by irie feeling View Post
I like it too.
Problem with Titanic water heater.
Showers run cold on an 85 gallon tank? No way?
Well the plumber/ installer ran off with the owners manual.
Said he was mailing it to home owner.
I surfed the web, found it online, PDF, and investigated.
Couple problems:
The lower element- the primary temperature setting was at lowest possible setting. All the way left. 110.
The upper element - factory setting of 120. Too darn cold. It's like put your face under it and it feels good.
So I followed the instructions and turned both up to make Momma happy.
Now at 150 but out of the ground water is colder than city water temperature. Dialing for 150 but I bet it's lower.
Hot water don't last long. I bet we scooping off the top. Lower element not working. Water heater got banged all the way down the stairs. Plumber coming tomorrow. I'm gonna reset the thermostats to where they were and play dumbass.
Plumber blamed us for being water hogs and added a 50 gallon tank to the setup. We now got 80 and 50 gal tank. He turned them up a bit to 140. But not like it says in owners manual ( I view online) bottom element should be hotter. He did opposite. That's 30 years experience for you. No time to look at a book. He knows what he's doing.
I'm not touching it. Not my house. He said his cost on the water heater was $1700.
Old 03-03-2017, 01:07 PM
Trophy Husband

80 AND 50 gallon tanks?!! WOW. 80 should be way more than enough. We have a 75 gallon. I learned that thanks to the good old EPA you cant buy anything bigger than a 50 gallon tank anymore. Even for multiple dwellings. I had my tank looked at this week and my plumber told me all this along with telling me that with my gas tank there really isn't much to do to it until is starts to falter then you replace it. He was here for 30 minutes and did not charge me a nickle. He did quote me $1500 to install a new tank when needed and told me to install a $25 leak detector alarm for it that you can get at HD.
Old 03-03-2017, 01:11 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Send a message via AIM to gduck Send a message via Yahoo to gduck

Quote:
He was here for 30 minutes and did not charge me a nickle. He did quote me $1500 to install a new tank when needed and told me to install a $25 leak detector alarm for it that you can get at HD.
Sounds like you've got yourself a good plumber there. Ours was pretty decent, but I doubt that would have spent time here and not charged us anything, even some nominal consulting fee.
Old 03-03-2017, 02:20 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Send a message via AIM to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Skype™ to Captain Tuttle

Quote:
80 AND 50 gallon tanks?!! WOW. 80 should be way more than enough. We have a 75 gallon. I learned that thanks to the good old EPA you cant buy anything bigger than a 50 gallon tank anymore. Even for multiple dwellings. I had my tank looked at this week and my plumber told me all this along with telling me that with my gas tank there really isn't much to do to it until is starts to falter then you replace it. He was here for 30 minutes and did not charge me a nickle. He did quote me $1500 to install a new tank when needed and told me to install a $25 leak detector alarm for it that you can get at HD.
Regarding the 80 gallon EPA thing, not sure that's true

http://m.homedepot.com/b/Plumbing-Wa...e=ShowProducts

That's just Home Depot, they even sell a 90 gallon one.

You sure he just wasn't trying to sell you an instant hot water heater? Lol
Old 03-03-2017, 03:07 PM
Super Daddy

Agree with Tuttle - the big regulatory changes were related to efficiency. While some manufacturers have discontinued larger models there are still plenty out there.

We have an 80 gallon in our house which seems overkill, even for a family of four... can't fathom 80 plus another 50!
Old 03-03-2017, 03:32 PM
Super Duper Daddy

I agree. Is your family into watersports, irie?
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 03-03-2017, 03:52 PM
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
I agree. Is your family into watersports, irie?
Ouch!

He is a really good guy and plumber. I called and left a message yesterday and he called me back within an hour and was in between jobs. He was there pretty quick. He did all the plumbing in our basement finishing project a few years ago. When I asked him if he was sure the was no charge he said "Calling him back for more possible work was payment enough." He will get some money from me eventually. As for the size limitation for the tank, maybe it is and yet another CT regulation. Would not surprise me. I hope I don't have to find out for a while.