Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Fishing Gear

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > DIY Dads
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2016, 01:06 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757dad View Post
Hijack away if needed. You sound like you are about to be knee deep in your project. I am still in the early early planning phase.
Technically I've been knee deep in this project for about 5 years. Now I'm afforded the luxury of thinking ahead.

Regarding this project in Justin's room, I have the drywall. It only took 7 years but I looked up how to remove the center row captain's chairs out of the Odyssey but it was a hassle loading the sheets inside - and I had help. I need to get them out, up two flights of stairs and into the room by myself, and my back is not up to it. There's also the matter of removing the paneling and busted up drywall - not to mention that the studs are not up to code and are too far apart, which is how we got into this mess in the first place. One thing's for sure, it's going to be COLD - and noisier - in that room without that extra layer of material acting as insulation.

As for the move, I'm wavering back and forth. As it becomes more and more apparent that Justin will likely be away for over a year it doesn't make sense to rush things. I'm trying to justify it financially of course, but really I just don't the idea of making a jump into an unknown. Meanwhile, that house up the street hasn't listed yet.

PS: Home Depot doesn't give employee discounts. I asked. A former coworker works at one out by the interstate.
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 11-22-2016, 01:16 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCubs View Post
The oscillating saws are fun, too. I bought one earlier this year and wish that I had one long before now.
Those things scare me, but a table saw would be a nice thing to have so that I can cut paneling to size.
Old 11-22-2016, 06:20 PM
Super Duper Daddy

OK, this is manageable just doing one wall at a time. I took off the baseboard and trim around the top and lugged all the new drywall upstairs.
Old 11-23-2016, 12:47 PM
Just Dad

Are the studs more than 16" on center? Insulation?

Don't skimp on the table saw. You can usually find a good name brand on sale on black Friday. The portable or "jobsite" ones are nice for moving and storing in between uses.

"Just smile and wave, boys, smile and wave"--The Penguins, Madagascar
Old 11-27-2016, 03:41 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Are the studs more than 16" on center? Insulation?

Don't skimp on the table saw. You can usually find a good name brand on sale on black Friday. The portable or "jobsite" ones are nice for moving and storing in between uses.
That's a good idea. Storage space is at a premium; I'm competing with the cat for little box space under the workbench.

A table saw would come in handy for the half wall. I've removed all the brown fiberboard from the walls in Justin's room and was thinking of recycling them to use as wall panel backing for wainscoting. I already have a chop saw;

BTW, cutting drywall is easy. Almost as easy as pounding holes in it. On Tuesday I'll be venting out my angst like Justin has done - but with a more constructive goal. The biggest obstacle for me here is lifting the 4'x8' boards in place. I need to measure out where those studs and outlets will fall behind the board and have the screws piloted in. I've seen videos on Youtube where a single person (albeit a professional) did a wall that size in 10 minutes - not counting mudding.

Last edited by Kwak; 11-27-2016 at 03:48 PM.
Old 11-30-2016, 03:50 AM
Super Duper Daddy

Justin's room is half gutted. I'd originally intended to install the drywall in phases, but it's such a mess that I've opted to just rip out everything first - including the carpet.

Old 11-30-2016, 11:19 AM
Just Dad

Looking good. My dad said that they would put lipstick on the outer rim of the electrical boxes, tilt the drywall into place, and then use the resulting mark on the back to cut out the box.

"Just smile and wave, boys, smile and wave"--The Penguins, Madagascar

Last edited by TwoCubs; 11-30-2016 at 11:21 AM.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:23 AM
Trophy Husband

Better off dealing with the dust of removal only once. From what I can see those insulation bats look to be normal size and the studs look to be 16" on center.
Old 11-30-2016, 12:38 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Looking good. My dad said that they would put lipstick on the outer rim of the electrical boxes, tilt the drywall into place, and then use the resulting mark on the back to cut out the box.
That's a good idea. I can only imagine how pissed my wife would be if I used her lipstick. I need to ask her which one is her favorite.
Old 11-30-2016, 02:32 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B. View Post
Better off dealing with the dust of removal only once. From what I can see those insulation bats look to be normal size and the studs look to be 16" on center.
Yeah, that wall is pretty much up to code. It still had four patches in it. The front wall is similarly battered.

My wife is complaining about how everything in the room is cluttering up the rest of the house. I asked her "what did you expect?" since we were going to hire a contractor - but that ship has sailed. It would have cost us about $100K to do everything she wanted - and then she'd still want to move. With logic like that I refuse to even be baited into an argument. I simply say, "we're not moving - yet."

Just to go on the record, I'm marching to the beat of my own drummer here. If Justin is going to be in the home for at least a year then we have to use that time constructively.

This is the beginning of phase 1. I'm calling it "rehabilitation and renovation" and it transcends just home repairs. I'm also trying to increase my self worth - and hopefully her opinion of me as well.

My short term goal is to get the bones of the house mended so that we can entertain for the holidays. The walls in general - and this room in particular - are priority number one. I've already painted the ceilings - apart from a patch below the upstairs bathroom. With regards to Justin's room though, once the walls are torn out the carpeting is coming out too. To appease Her Majesty I'll be using the garage as staging space for what is going to be some HUGE trash days - so I hope the trash man is stocked up on Icy Hot. I'm repurposing the brown fiberboard (if it can be painted) to use as a half wall in the hallways and foyer and have already begun purchasing new baseboards. Next is painting before finishing up with flooring. That has been her hot button for years - and I admit I've put it off for too long.

Phase 2 (after the holidays) is the proper "love it or list it" phase. The idea is to get the house appraised once it's all done so we see what kind of equity we have so that we can start looking in the spring. The windows, furnace, roof and water heater have all been replaced within the last 10 years but the front porch and siding need attention for curb appeal. We could also stand to get a new garage door. Those are just items for down the road. We at least need a new opener that is Bluetooth compatible. We're currently running a 30 year old Stanley with a failing receiver.

If she wants to get another house, then I'm pushing to look into a VA loan. You guys know my thinking on this: it HAS to be an upgrade - and not because of more space. I already cannot keep up on maintaining this 3br/2.5 bath 2000 sq ft home and the mid-term goal (within the next 1-2 years) is for Justin to return home. His future is still uncertain.

OTOH If she wants to remodel the kitchen and/or bathroom, then I'll get a job to finance it. Lowe's gives employees a 10% discount, Home Depot doesn't. That should also appease Ms. Moneybags.