Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Fishing Gear

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > General Posts
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1501  
Old 03-17-2017, 05:54 PM
GBDad GBDad is offline
Diaper Jockey
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Titletown, USA
Posts: 266
Default

Good day fellas! And Happy St. Patrick's Day. St. Patrick's Day doesn't excite me too much and I intentionally don't wear green to see how many comments I get about not wearing green. It was fun for like 2 years in college. It's actually my dad's birthday, who passed away 17 years ago. So while Guinness sales pick up for one day in the USA, it's my one day a year to pick up a 12er of Blatz. That was his beer so I have a couple on St. Paddy's in his honor. At $5.89 a 12 pack you know it's some pretty good stuff. It actually tastes a lot like Heineken on the front end, but leaves a pretty funky aftertaste.
__________________
"Baseball is a dull game only for those with dull minds."

"Ninety feet between bases is the nearest thing to perfection that man has yet achieved."

Red Smith
Reply With Quote
  #1502  
Old 03-17-2017, 06:15 PM
Kwak's Avatar
Kwak Kwak is offline
Super Duper Daddy
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Off the deep end
Posts: 9,460
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBDad View Post
Good day fellas! And Happy St. Patrick's Day. St. Patrick's Day doesn't excite me too much and I intentionally don't wear green to see how many comments I get about not wearing green. It was fun for like 2 years in college. It's actually my dad's birthday, who passed away 17 years ago. So while Guinness sales pick up for one day in the USA, it's my one day a year to pick up a 12er of Blatz. That was his beer so I have a couple on St. Paddy's in his honor. At $5.89 a 12 pack you know it's some pretty good stuff. It actually tastes a lot like Heineken on the front end, but leaves a pretty funky aftertaste.
Blatz beer? That sounds like a comic book word for flatulance, especially if you use it to wash down buffalo wings!
__________________
Married to Kelly, 6/19/1999
SAHD since August, 2004
Father to Justin, 2/27/2004
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Reply With Quote
  #1503  
Old 03-17-2017, 06:20 PM
tt3's Avatar
tt3 tt3 is offline
Beer me!
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: MSP
Posts: 13,427
Send a message via Yahoo to tt3
Default

No that's Schlitz
;)
__________________
Lord Anton Treml III
Reply With Quote
  #1504  
Old 03-17-2017, 07:05 PM
GBDad GBDad is offline
Diaper Jockey
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Titletown, USA
Posts: 266
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt3 View Post
No that's Schlitz
;)
HA! I saw a T-shirt in a beer novelty store in Milwaukee one time that said something to the effect of "Milwaukee, WI Drink the Blatz And Get the Schlitz"

Schlitz is actually pretty good again. After the brewery's demise in the 80s they went to making a malt liquor version of it which was nasty. About 5 years or so ago they went back to the original 1960s recipe when Schlitz was the most popular beer in the country and it really is pretty good.

Far as I can tell, Blatz is only sold in Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, and Minnesota. So if you're ever passing through, make sure to pick some up!
__________________
"Baseball is a dull game only for those with dull minds."

"Ninety feet between bases is the nearest thing to perfection that man has yet achieved."

Red Smith
Reply With Quote
  #1505  
Old 03-17-2017, 09:29 PM
Mark B.'s Avatar
Mark B. Mark B. is offline
Trophy Husband
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Central Connecticant
Posts: 16,248
Default

Blatz beer! What a blast from the past. Is it still in the white can with maroon lettering? It might have been written in script. Nice tribute to your Dad GBdad. My in laws always have a 12 pack of Shaefers on hand at family parties to toast Grandma with, RIP.
__________________
Sent From My PC or My 4G Droid With Best In Breed Voice Recognition Software!
Reply With Quote
  #1506  
Old 03-17-2017, 10:06 PM
Kwak's Avatar
Kwak Kwak is offline
Super Duper Daddy
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Off the deep end
Posts: 9,460
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt3 View Post
No that's Schlitz
;)
That comes out the other end. Blatzes come up, Schiltzes fall out.
__________________
Married to Kelly, 6/19/1999
SAHD since August, 2004
Father to Justin, 2/27/2004
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Reply With Quote
  #1507  
Old 03-17-2017, 11:41 PM
Captain Tuttle's Avatar
Captain Tuttle Captain Tuttle is offline
Super Duper Daddy
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Main Line
Posts: 9,468
Send a message via AIM to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Skype™ to Captain Tuttle
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
That comes out the other end. Blatzes come up, Schiltzes fall out.
Reply With Quote
  #1508  
Old 03-18-2017, 02:43 PM
GBDad GBDad is offline
Diaper Jockey
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Titletown, USA
Posts: 266
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B. View Post
Blatz beer! What a blast from the past. Is it still in the white can with maroon lettering? It might have been written in script. Nice tribute to your Dad GBdad. My in laws always have a 12 pack of Shaefers on hand at family parties to toast Grandma with, RIP.
The can is silver these days:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3301/3...4f66505736.jpg

Other than that it looks pretty much the same. I remember the old white cans though. I suppose if you can save a tenth of a cent per can by eliminating that white paint it all adds to the bottom line!
__________________
"Baseball is a dull game only for those with dull minds."

"Ninety feet between bases is the nearest thing to perfection that man has yet achieved."

Red Smith
Reply With Quote
  #1509  
Old 03-20-2017, 11:59 AM
757dad 757dad is offline
Beach Daddy
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Va Beach
Posts: 1,018
Default

Ran my second marathon yesterday. Weather has been unseasonably warm for most of the winter. Yesterday was the opposite. Temps hovered around 40 with wind chills in the low 30's. Winds out of the north in the 15-20 with 30 mph gusts. The course is at the ocean front so not a whole lot of protection from the wind. It rained / sleeted / snowed for most of the 4 hours that I was out there. I have run a lot of races but have never been as miserable as that one yesterday. I could barely feel my fingers.
Reply With Quote
  #1510  
Old 03-20-2017, 12:21 PM
Mark B.'s Avatar
Mark B. Mark B. is offline
Trophy Husband
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Central Connecticant
Posts: 16,248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBDad View Post
The can is silver these days:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3301/3...4f66505736.jpg

Other than that it looks pretty much the same. I remember the old white cans though. I suppose if you can save a tenth of a cent per can by eliminating that white paint it all adds to the bottom line!
Classic! Back in 8th-9th grade I had a beer can collection (yep, and yes they were found empty) and that can was in my collection that was displayed in my bedroom. This was back in the day when there were no deposit fees so people would just toss cans into the woods as they drove down the road (DWI laws were pretty much non existent then as well). At the peak I had close to 200 different brands of beer cans.
__________________
Sent From My PC or My 4G Droid With Best In Breed Voice Recognition Software!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.