Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Other Stuff > Sports Talk
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2018, 02:24 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBDad View Post
Trade deadline looms 8 days away. A week and a half ago you would have said that the Brewers need to be buyers. Go get a starter (J.A. Happ), maybe a middle infielder (Brian Dozier). Now having lost 8 of 10 and going from 2.5 games up in the division to 3.5 down it's looking like another stand-pat trade season for the Crew.

When you have a stretch like this, get blown out 11-2 yesterday, where position players pitched 3 innings, you're more than one arm and/or big bat away from running down the Cubs. Do you sell the farm for a shot at a 1 game playoff? Thinking not.
Andrew McCutchen is apparently being shopped by the Giants. Perhaps the Brewer's GM is not bothered by the irony. Stranger things have happened; ex-Pirate Aramis Ramirez was once traded away by the Buccos to another in-division rival only to end up coming back to retire as a Pirate.

Speaking of the Pirates and the trade deadline, it looks like they acquired a new closer from the Rangers but might otherwise be standing pat even though they're 4 games out of the second wild card. I hate to say it, but they don't need another outfielder so Cutch might indeed end up someplace else now that the Giants are pretty much out of it.
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 08-02-2018, 07:03 PM
Diaper Jockey

The Brewers are going to try and do it by scoring runs, hopefully getting 4 or 5 innings out of their starters, and running the bullpen arms out there. Worked for the 2015 Royals. But man...with a lineup of Cain, Yelich, Braun, Aguilar, Moustakas, Shaw, Schoop, and Pina - youza!!! Should score some runs!

"Ninety feet between bases is the nearest thing to perfection that man has yet achieved."

Red Smith
Old 08-04-2018, 09:07 PM
Diaper Jockey

Okay! I had to rush to the computer to report on this one. Just finished watching the Cubs beat the Padres 5-4. Two outs in the top of the 9th. They throw the stats up that the Cubs are 54-2 when leading in the 9th inning. Fine. That's going to be the case for most good teams. But rather than leaving it at that the announcer make the comment, "I'd bet the '27 Yankees were about the same in the 9th!" Really? We're comparing the 2018 Cubs to the 1927 Yankees? All of the sudden Baez, Bryant, and Rizzo are Murderers Row? Typical Chicago!

"Ninety feet between bases is the nearest thing to perfection that man has yet achieved."

Red Smith
Old 08-04-2018, 10:15 PM
Trophy Husband

Funny stuff GBDad. I appreciate your disdain of other local sport teams. Being a Mets and Jets fan I get tired of other local orgs. crapping down my throat. That being said, I am enjoying the Yanks getting way outclassed again today by the Red Sox.
Old Yesterday, 02:45 AM
Trophy Husband

Wanna send a BIG F U to Kieth Olberman , ESPN's announcer for tonight's Mets vs Yankees game on ESPN. The guy, an admitted life long Yankees season ticket holder thanks to his parents has been fired many times from many sports outlets. Being the typical douche (beyond Liberal but he thinks he knows sports so he must know real world stuff right?) he could not help himself from ragging on the Mets Organization while the Mets Bitch slapped the Yankees with the Yankees Ace starting the game. Just when I thought he could not be a bigger dick he proves me wrong

Last edited by Mark B.; Yesterday at 02:53 AM.
Old Yesterday, 03:08 PM
Diaper Jockey

Yeah, Olbermann is pretty tiresome. I rarely watch ESPN anymore. Get my baseball from MLB Network, football from NFL Network, basketball on NBA TV, and so on. Since the Brewers are never on national TV I don't even need to tune them in for that. Although I think they're on ESPN tomorrow, but only because they're playing the Cubs. If there's a good game on Sunday Night Baseball or Monday Night Football I'll watch. Dodgers/Giants was a great game last night - other than that I don't have much reason to watch their sports/political commentary programming.

Brewers have a huge, must win, 2 game set against the Cubs starting today. Get swept? Seven games back in the loss column and could get leaped by the Cardinals, who are hot, if they win their next 2. That's nearly impossible to overcome in the last month. Realistically have to sweep this set and/or win at least 6 of the last 8 they have head-to-head with the Cubs to have a chance. Even then, need some help. At the point in the season where you can no longer say "There's no such thing as a 'must win' in....." This is a must win!

Red Smith
Old Yesterday, 04:05 PM
Trophy Husband

Agree about ESPN GBDad. The headquarters is about 20 minutes from my house. I even took the tour a few years ago. I only watch ESPN when I Have to because my team is on it or if I care to watch Monday night football. They are all asshats on that station. I even have neighbors who work there.
Old Yesterday, 04:21 PM
Trophy Husband

Hmmmm.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...Rra?li=BBnb7Kz