Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > DIY Dads
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2018, 04:24 PM
Super Duper Daddy

It's two weeks before the in-laws come to stay for a long weekend. I was hoping to get some work done in anticipation but my wife had some thoughts regarding the hall bath renovation that have me scratching my head.

1: I want to do the vanity/sinks first because one is rusting out. She wants to prioritize the tub first - which is a MUCH bigger job. Her rationale is that once the tub is out we can lay the flooring before putting anything else in.

2: instead of a new tub with a tile surround she wants to replace the existing single piece beige fiberglass tub/shower unit with a WHITE single piece fiberglass tub/shower unit. I'm screaming WHY?!? inside my head so loud that I can't even consider if I'm going to even be able to fit it in the door; contractors usually install these before the walls are even complete.

Am I missing something here or does this seem backwards?
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 10-22-2018, 04:33 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

I would call a pro.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:42 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Send a message via AIM to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Skype™ to Captain Tuttle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
It's two weeks before the in-laws come to stay for a long weekend. I was hoping to get some work done in anticipation but my wife had some thoughts regarding the hall bath renovation that have me scratching my head.

1: I want to do the vanity/sinks first because one is rusting out. She wants to prioritize the tub first - which is a MUCH bigger job. Her rationale is that once the tub is out we can lay the flooring before putting anything else in.

2: instead of a new tub with a tile surround she wants to replace the existing single piece beige fiberglass tub/shower unit with a WHITE single piece fiberglass tub/shower unit. I'm screaming WHY?!? inside my head so loud that I can't even consider if I'm going to even be able to fit it in the door; contractors usually install these before the walls are even complete.

Am I missing something here or does this seem backwards?
You mean like Bathfitter?. Those things are installed in existing homes so you should be alright.

I'm with Irie though, hire a pro
Old 10-22-2018, 08:45 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

I made cloud bread.
I converted all the "dad can I have..." To "dad may I please have?"
I supered lessons.
Gave a spelling test, explained an easy handout worksheet.
Did meals.
Vacuumed downstairs and the stairs, and dusted with the vacuum. And sucked out under the couch cushions. No money. The vacuum is a handheld duster. How effin awesome!

Washed a load of laundry. Folding now.
Dinner next.
I'm exhausted.
Vacuuming really whoops me. It's good for a man to know his limitations.
Old 10-22-2018, 11:53 PM
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by irie feeling View Post
I would call a pro.

DUCK!

I guess ya had to be there.

Never EVER dabble in plumbing. Sounds like a total gut job is in order. It will take longer than 2 weeks, I know you know that.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:15 AM
Just Dad

Mark's right. That job will take more than two weeks.

I'm with you on the fiberglass enclosure replacement (a color change, really?).

For me, the dryer broke on Sunday. The idler pulley bearing froze and melted the pulley. A common problem with these models, it seems. Luckily someone made a better part, and it's on amazon. Now, I'm just waiting for it to arrive today or tomorrow.

"Just smile and wave, boys, smile and wave"--The Penguins, Madagascar

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
Old 10-23-2018, 12:06 PM
Super Duper Daddy

I hear ya, guys. The tub and surround are what I'm willing to pay a pro for and I know that this will take more than two weeks. I want to just switch out a rusted sink - which is out of order in the grand scheme of things for my wife. She wants the tub done first so that she can do the flooring and then we worry about the sinks and vanity.

As for hiring a pro, I want a $200 deep basin steel tub and tile surround on concrete board. that goes all the way to the ceiling - not fiberglass that just goes up to 80". I know that floor will need to be made level and that it's going to cost money to haul away the demo but for that amount of trouble most professionals I've talked to want to expand the scope of the project to just do the whole bathroom remodel and I don't want that. I don't want a glass door or vent fan or light fixture or custom cabinetry made. That would inflate the cost of the whole project to $10k which doesn't make a whole lot of sense on a 24 square foot hallway bathroom. My frustration is that I tell them that and they continue to press. I HATE that.
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 10-23-2018, 01:01 PM
Trophy Husband

Aside from the usual BS I am waiting on a delivery i have to sign for. Wife ordered some grapes last week when she was in Sonoma. Don't ask me why.

I am also going to be on hand for my neighbor who booked a delivery of a fridge for his basement. He and his wife are working. I am just everyone's bitch.
Old 10-23-2018, 04:57 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B. View Post
I am just everyone's bitch.
Can't stop laughing😄
Old 10-23-2018, 05:21 PM
Trophy Husband

Kwak, the contractors wanting to do the full Monte on your bath is normal. Do they want to make more money? Of course. Also, band aiding issues (especially when plumbing is involved) can get dicey. You could add a glass shower door any time after. But a vent in a crapper is a must IMO.

Glad I made you laugh Irie! Keep on laughing. The wine has not been delivered. Usual Fed Ex delivers signed for packages around 11AM. I am certain Fed Ex will show up as soon as my neighbors basement fridge pulls up 2 houses away. What a waste of a day. I worked out at 9:30 this morning and have yet yo shower at 1:20 PM! Gotta get my Mega Millions tickets too! Lets go people!!!!