Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > General Posts
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2020, 12:38 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Day 1 of in person school for my 13yo. Busing is tight but I voluntarily drove him in. His allergies are bugging him so I'm expecting at some point somebody is going to give me a call to go get him.

There were lots of people driving their kids in so there was a long line of cars all jockeying for position and trying to go around others once their kid was out. It wasn't quite a charlie foxtrot though.
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 10-06-2020, 11:37 AM
Super Duper Daddy

Well, this is weird: two of Joe's teachers were no-shows. One (his reading teacher) was permanent, the other (his geometry teacher) we never received an explanation.

I'm waiting for them to pull the plug soon. Our school is the kind that calls a day at a mere "good chance" of inclement weather.
Old 10-16-2020, 03:13 PM
Super Duper Daddy

The first grading period is almost over and Joe's grades have slid considerably. I don't know if it's puberty or virtual schooling that is torpedoing his grade but his mother is putting my feet to the fire to keep up on him via the school website.

She's absolutely right, but it's really hard to motivate somebody who locks himself in his room 20+ hours a day and gives attitude when you knock. Puberty is a wonderful thing.
Old 10-27-2020, 11:35 AM
Super Duper Daddy

We got the notification from Justin's school that one of the students in a neighboring classroom tested positive for COVID-19 so they shut school down for 2 weeks. Bear in mind that many of these special needs kids are all high risk and cannot tolerate masks for long.

Meanwhile, yesterday Joe got a nervous stomach as I pulled up to the dropoff so he asked to come home and do virtual schooling. Yes, it sucks that he couldn't go to school but he didn't get marked as absent because he was still able to log on. It's not ideal but things aren't ideal right now and the world is changing.
Old 10-30-2020, 01:28 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Our public school district was planning on going full in person on November 9th but with COVID numbers on the rise, teachers quitting, no substitutes to be found and one of the elementary schools having to be shut down for several cases they opted to stick with the A/B hybrid model for the foreseeable future.

Justin's school is also closed for another week for a single case in a classroom that is right off the main entrance. He's doing virtual sessions on his iPad again and I'm sure he's not getting the full benefit. Why can't we do holograms like they have in Star Trek? I say that from the visual interaction, not the tactile. There was a rudimentary technology for it 25 years ago involving overhead lighting and glass prisms that looked like fish tanks. It wasn't quite like Star Trek because it was blurry and the colors were off but it was true 3D projection along the lines of those "moving" stickers they used to have. It's sufficiently different from having to look at a flat screen that it could at least grab the shorter attention spans.
Old 11-10-2020, 06:45 PM
Diaper Jockey

A number of schools in our area remain defiant in the face ballooning COVID cases. Our district with their "gaiting" criteria has basically said that our kids will not be going to school all year. Which I'm fine with. They said that to go to a blended model the county's burden rate needs to go below 100 per 100K residents. Right now we're just under 1,400/100K.

"Ninety feet between bases is the nearest thing to perfection that man has yet achieved."

Red Smith
Old 11-20-2020, 02:46 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Our county went from "moderate risk" to "high risk" for COVID diagnosis rates this week after we had a couple of days of over 500 diagnoses. In our school districts, we would get reports almost daily about how a single case reported by a staff member would prompt them to close that building for a day and that people in contact with that individual would be contacted offline.

It only seemed to serve to appease parents who Kelly told me were very vocal on Facebook about how it was "unfair" to have the kids stay home. I can only imagine the bellyaching now that they decided to pull the plug on the hybrid model and take two weeks off to see if things would calm down.

Meanwhile, I'm watching our county dashboard and it appears that the curve is flattening but the spike was just a week ago - and it was the biggest yet. I'm thinking it was probably all the election activity that caused it.

Regardless, it didn't really hit home for us until Joe's social studies teacher tested positive. We asked him how close he got to his teacher and he told us 10 feet but never without a mask. We haven't received any direct notification from the school district regarding contact tracing. I strongly feel we need to get tested.

For now, I'm logging into both of the school's virtual classroom dashboards and trying to keep up on his grades. His teachers are not consistently posting the status of assignments and I continue to be frustrated by it. Joe tells me he did them but without proof I cannot believe him.
Old 11-21-2020, 07:20 PM
Super Duper Daddy

We're still seeing lots of assignments not being turned in, so my wife took away his personal laptop and scheduled an IEP with the principle next Wednesday. The child is not happy. It's not fair, it's not his fault, it's fake news. He's holed up in his room and only comes out to eat fast food. I can't even tell him that that kind of behavior will hold him back in life.