Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > General Posts
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2019, 06:17 PM
Diaper Jockey

Default College Entrance Scam

So I guess the kids of the rich, famous, and powerful have gotten preferential treatment in being admitted to elite colleges because of connections, bribes, and falsifying tests/records. My initial response........NO CRAP!

Sure most of you have seen news or read articles about it already so I won't post an article. Easy enough to find if you have no idea what I'm talking about.
The highest profile celebs involved are spouses Felicity Huffman/William H. Macy and Lori Laughlin (Aunt Becky from Full House) and her fashion designer husband. Guess this scam went as well for Macy as the one he tried to run in Fargo. Although his wife was charged and he wasn't. So maybe.

On one hand, sure, if these undeserving kids of the rich and famous get in it takes a spot away from perhaps a hard working and honest student who always dreamed of going wherever. But my moral outrage over this is tempered by knowing that of course stuff like this goes on and has forever. And it will continue. Like the lawyer for one of the accused said - what's the difference between what they did and and the undeserving kid who gets in because his/her great-grandfather gave $2M to the university's endowment? Thin line.

On the other hand, if they broke the law they should be prosecuted to the fullest extent and made an example of. Once again, not that it's going to stop anyone who has the means and connections from "greasing the wheels" or taking a shortcut if their nitwit offspring can't get in on their own merits.

"Ninety feet between bases is the nearest thing to perfection that man has yet achieved."

Red Smith
Old 03-13-2019, 08:48 PM
Trophy Husband

I agree that nobody should be surprised.. This stuff goes on all the time and it ain't gonna stop any time soon. My wife went to High school with Laughlin. Let's just say she was not a fan of her then and even more so not now. Greg Gutfeld, one of the funniest people on TV IMO, said the good news is that when they make the movie about the scandal everyone can play themselves in the movie. Brilliant!
Old 03-14-2019, 12:17 PM
Trophy Husband

Ya can't make this shit up!

https://pagesix.com/2019/03/13/lori-...698.1547512087
Old 03-14-2019, 04:30 PM
Diaper Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B. View Post
Move along....Nothing to see here! Bad look that she was on a yacht owned by a board of trustees member the day her mom is arrested for bribing her way into school. What? The school president's private jet wasn't available?

Too funny!

"Ninety feet between bases is the nearest thing to perfection that man has yet achieved."

Red Smith
Old 03-15-2019, 11:40 AM
Trophy Husband

Now I hear Laughlin got booted from The Hallmark channel. Oh the humanity! I told my wife we should boycott The Hallmark channel for that decision. I think Laughlin's daughters have a better chance of getting a free ride to MIT before that happens.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:02 PM
Super Duper Daddy

College is about networking, really. The kids would be better-served getting into 4-H or going on a church mission to some third world country than in some frat or sorority IMO. Don't even get me started on the useless coursework or lazy professors.

As for people getting thrown in jail over this. Good for them. Sometimes when you gamble you bust. The house always wins.
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007