Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Other Stuff > Book Club
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2009, 08:13 PM
Super Duper Daddy

I loved it. I've read a few road/adventure books, especially back when I taught kids, and this exceeded those -- painted the picture of the land very well, and didn't fall give into easy suspense by creating a danger around every corner. I didn't get the ending all the way, but that's about it.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:22 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Flight From the City......Ralph Borsodi

A short book, eversion in a link I provided in another post.

For someone leaving a depressed urban environment, and heading to a rural selfsubsistency type of lifestyle, its the outline autobiography of one family, with enough information to build from.

The insight to homeschooling is worth the time for a parent or educator to read through, and implement. For the rest of the populace, it provides what we should be doing during after school and especially summer break as parents/truest educators.

It's quite fitting for our times.

The list of readings and materials in the index at the end give all the breadcrumbs to find a way for any willing family to make a way.

Last edited by woodchuck; 07-29-2009 at 08:25 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:46 PM
Beer me!

Send a message via Yahoo to tt3

How to Talk to a Liberal (If You Must)

It was a dollar store buy. I'll let you know how it is when I finish it.

Old 07-30-2009, 01:14 AM
It's beer:30!

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Country Dad View Post
Thanks for the leads. Did you like Splendid Suns?
Yes I liked it. For me, it was a great read. I like any book, movie, etc., that can give a meaningful insight to a region, culture, people.

Ive read a lot of reviews where people said they liked it but didnt love it. Or that The Kite Runner was better.... My opinion is that the book is well written, the guy is a great writer. But it was indeed difficult to see the heroine(s) endure tragedy after tragedy after tragedy. Afterall, everyone loves a happy ending. My wive kept saying, it so depressing....

I recommend it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTDon View Post
If you get it back by the WCA Throwdown, could you bring it with you?
Nah.

Last edited by Cubfan; 07-30-2009 at 01:26 AM.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:48 AM
aka KlugeDaddy, Ben

I'm finishing up book four of the Wheel of Time and I think I'll interlude with Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry and The Scythe Book by some scythe expert.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:04 PM
aka KlugeDaddy, Ben

Finished the fourth Wheel of Time book and took up the Scythe Book. I got a little past halfway and the index begins. That was odd and then it starts back up again. Apparently, the guy who republished this wanted to correct some of the details but respected the author enough to print it without edits. Then he goes on to do the whole thing over again but in a much more concise and understandable way. Still, at 11:30 last night, I wasn't ready for an index to show up in the middle. Kept me awake for a while.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:24 PM
Trophy Husband

Secrets and Lies - The history of CIA torture and bio-weapons experiments by Gordon Thomas. The book details the relationship between the CIA and Doctors around the world hell bent on finding the link to mind control and germ warfare. The book includes a lot of newly released information about the programs that had/have been going on for decades. Shock therapy, weeks of drug induced sleep and lobotomies were all the rage. I always wondered why countries did not release all the POW's after wars had ended and why so many MIA's were unaccounted for. It looks like many had been used by their captures as expendable lab rats for their experiments. And all of the countries involved have done it. When I was about half way through the book I happened upon a National Geographic episode about the story. It is always good to see the real faces of the people in the story.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:01 PM
Official Site Hatemonger

I just finished Ayn Rand's "Anthem" and I am working on "The Fountainhead."

"If any of you need anything at all, too bad. Deal with your problems yourselves like adults." Ron Swanson
Old 08-18-2009, 06:01 PM
Just glad to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57plymouth View Post
I just finished Ayn Rand's "Anthem" and I am working on "The Fountainhead."
Care to let us know what you thought of it?
Old 08-18-2009, 06:23 PM
Official Site Hatemonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Country Dad View Post
Care to let us know what you thought of it?
It is clear that "Anthem" was the genesis of the Objectivist concept that she developed over her life. The book bears little plot, and much philosophy. It is almost like a primer to "The Fountainhead" and "Atlas Shrugged." All are commentaries against enfranchised slavery driven by a foolish and absent minded governing force. All three sing the praises of a self-actualized individual who depends not on society, but wholly upon self.

It is a short read. I finished it in an hour or so. It is quite like science fiction, where you must leave your pretense of reality at the door, only to find that the reality presented is in fact your own reality presented from a differing viewpoint. From the simplest of key features we see reality; people are named in a manner that replicates early twentieth century telephone numbers. Thereby, your name is your number as assigned to you by the Social Security, er, the government.

Shocking, starkly bleak, beautiful and thought provoking. It should be required reading. If for no other reason, it shows the clear development of the concepts that are fully matured in "Atlas Shrugged." Of course, no one should be allowed to vote or hold a job without first reading "Atlas Shrugged."

"If any of you need anything at all, too bad. Deal with your problems yourselves like adults." Ron Swanson