Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Other Stuff > Book Club
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2009, 07:06 PM
Trophy Husband

Just finished "The Baby Thief" by Barbara Raymond. It is the true story of a woman named Georgia Tann and her 25 year career (1925-1950) of setting up adoptions for about 5000 kids. Most of them were either taken from duped parents or stolen outright. Most were placed in homes without proper background checks on the adoptive parents. She amassed enough power in the State of Tennesee to pretty much do whatever she wanted during her reign of terror which netted her about $1,000,000. Her power is still in effect today and is the backbone of why most adoptions are called closed adoptions where the identities of all parents involved are kept sealed. Her excuse was that nobody wants their privacy given up when in reality the truth would have been the end of her. This issue has been changing but still has a long way to go.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:34 PM
Trophy Husband

After reading the previous book I posted about above I needed a little something to cheer me up. Just finished "The Rocket That Fell To The Earth" By Jeff Pearlman. It is the story of Roger Clemen's "Rage For Baseball Immortality". It is a well documented story of Roger's life. It detailed his life growing up in OHIO (WTF!?) and his move later on to Texas where he worked his as off to be one of the greatest pitchers in MLB history. He, like most sports superstars, lived in a very self centered world. The book detailed the time line of his steroid use as a means to come back and win 4 Cy Young awards after the Red Sox left him for dead. Dan Duquette the Sox GM was right. In the end he is now a shunned man in Texas (He attended 1 Astros game last year and had to buy his own ticket) and is waiting to be served with papers for lying under oath to Congress and will likely do jail time. The MLB Hall Of Fame is out of the question also. What a shame.

Last edited by Mark B.; 09-08-2009 at 09:25 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:35 PM
Super Duper Daddy

I've just started reading "Raising a Sensory Smart Child: The Definitive Handbook for Helping Your Child with Sensory Integration Issues" and it's been shedding some light on some of my son's puzzling behaviors.
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 09-09-2009, 04:52 AM
Super Duper Daddy

I read Olive Kittridge, really good stuff. A series of short stories, all loosely centered around the title character. Really well written, though a touch on the depressing side.

On deck is The Family, about a group of Washington religious nutjobs that have a shockingly strong grip on American politics today. Scary stuff.

Oh, and I bought a soup book off the sale rake at Border's. I've not made soup much before, looking forward to it.
Old 09-21-2009, 02:36 AM
aka KlugeDaddy, Ben

Finished Book 5 of the Wheel of Time. Got in a mild argument between four adults who range from loving every word of this multi-million word tripe and me, obviously thinking it's over-rated, last weekend. I was happy when the author died because I knew I could start reading it again. As it is, the "last book" as directed by the author turned into three books, equating to increasing the word and page counts by 30%, after 11 books, already.

Also read Pacify Me, a New To Fatherhood book. It was actually pretty humorous. Light on fact, but good stories.

Will pick up #6 in the WoT and Daddy Shift tomorrow or maybe even later tonight.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:26 PM
Super Daddy

I've been reading The 7 Habits..., by Stephen Covey. My wife's recommendation after reading it for a class through work. I'm about half way through, and have found a bunch of insightful and useful stuff, both professionally and personally. I've never read any self-described 'life-changing' or 'self-help' books, and this one blows away any preconceptions I had.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:10 PM
Guy

I'm currently reading The Forever War. Sci-Fi book about a guy who goes off to fight an interstellar war, and the world he comes back to. Very good so far.

I am also listening to the audio version of No More Monday's by Dan Miller. That is very good. Miller reads the book, which is nice but has its drawbacks (he knows exactly what he means to convey, but he's not setting the world on fire with his reading).
Old 09-28-2009, 04:58 PM
Huh?

Listening to "Without Warning" by John Birmingham. Fiction about the sudden disappearance of most of the population in North America. It's OK, I've definitely read worse.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:04 PM
Super Duper Daddy

I'm reading Toni Morrison's A Mercy. If you like Morrison, this is some of her finest work.

"The world is full of guys. Don't be a guy; be a man."

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop to look around once in a while, you could miss it."

"Don't think, it can only hurt the ball club."
Old 10-20-2009, 02:43 PM
Trophy Husband

Just finished "Fordlandia" by Greg Grandin. It is the true but little known story of Henry Ford's effort to build a self sustaining American type town in the Amazon rain forest in an effort to supply Ford Motor Company with its own supply of rubber for their cars. After about 10 years and millions of dollars from the late 1920's to 1930's they walked away. I still do know whether to be amazed by Ford's effort or amazed by the stupidity of it all. Don't fool with Mother Nature seemed to be the nature of the story.