Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > DIY Dads
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2019, 08:57 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

I don't know where to start.
Play rehearsal. Lunch. School. Vacuum house, make dessert.
Sib-Finished most of the rigging. Been snapping lines and busting masts. Tension issues, clumsy hands.
Old 04-10-2019, 02:54 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

Rigging is done.
Now we gotta do school.
Have a science project/ demo to do, with data and scientific worksheet to turn in via scanner.
Regular stuff as well. She's groaning over cursive worksheets right now.
Garage door repairman coming later. The locking clippy thing on one side snapped off. I could fix it if I had the part, but its proprietary.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:12 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Send a message via AIM to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Skype™ to Captain Tuttle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
Nothing doing yet, but I have plans. Let's see if they get followed:

1: drop off the bikes at the bike shop for adjustments. I have a ride at the end of the month. I also want to pick up some better degreaser, cleaner and other bits and bobs. Dawn dishwashing detergent and WD-40 are no-nos. I expect to catch hell.

2: go to Home Depot and pick up a new door. I'm thinking hollow core just to save some $$$.

3: load up the old bike along wtih Joey's for an early afternoon bike ride.

4: work on my portfolio. I finished the donut tutorial last night. I was amazed at how the GPU did all the heavy lifting for modeling but with regards to lighting and rendering ... well take a look:

Yeah, the batter looks like Play Doh. Some people find that stuff tasty.
That's fondant! It's supposed to look like that!
Old 04-13-2019, 03:59 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tuttle View Post
That's fondant! It's supposed to look like that!
LOL, I'm not even the Cake Boss in my own house. Waddaya kiddin' me?!?

Anyway, today Joe has a birthday party and my wife is off to the grocery store. I have 3-1/2 hours to myself. What to do, what to do?

1 Kitchen is clean - kinda.
2 I have leaf bags to tackle some late fallen leaves that are spilling over into the neighbor's yard.
3 there's a small tree (Japanese maple) in a mulch bed that hasn't quite budded yet so today would be a good day to lay about 2-3 bags underneath it.
4 the other night I "closed the box" on my second acoustic guitar build (meaning that I completely assembly of the body) and took it out of the clamps. Now I need to trim some overhang and rout out a shelf for decorative wood binding later. To do that I need to make a jig for my laminate trimmer to get the right sized cut and make it pretty.
5 there's also laundry to do AND
6 the floors need done.

I'll get to the last two after supper because I'm going to get sweaty and dirty doing #s 2-4. I don't expect I'll get any help on #s 5-6 from the other people who toss their stuff about in this house. I'm sure my efforts on item 1 have gone unnoticed. I gotta sell up #s 2 & 3 if I want to justify myself. Anybody pay for landscaping? It ain't cheap!
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007

Last edited by Kwak; 04-13-2019 at 04:08 PM.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:24 PM
Super Duper Daddy

I raked leaves this weekend and put them out on the curb for a non-recyclable weekend. Too bad. I don't have a problem with putting organic material in the landfill.

I met the new neighbors and talked with the husband for several minutes. Even though he's a cop I see that he and his crowd are very young. When did I get old?

This weekend I closed the box on my second acoustic guitar build. Yesterday I routed off the overhang and started refining the shape of the neck at the heel, even going so far as to fit it to the body and work on the preliminary angles. Before I can do that all the way I have to add decorative binding and true up the sides. I am also looking for a design to build a jig to rout in shelves for the wood binding - which also needs to be laminated with decorative strips and bent to shape over a hot pipe that I plan to heat with a propane torch. Building the jigs is half the fun for me; it allows me to think through the process and understand why I need to do what needs to be done.

Meanwhile, #3 is waiting for me to get started. I'll need to hone my planes again to get started on working with the walnut and additional spruce that I purchases over the winter. It should go much quicker since it's more of a kit build and I'm shaking off the cobwebs and rust on #2.
Old 04-15-2019, 02:21 PM
Trophy Husband

The day is young but I started the wash and decided to swap out the cabin filter in my wife's car. I was told last week when I was in for an oil change that it was due to be changed. I told them I would do it, I Know they can be finicky but I have done a few other cars. The entire glove box had to be removed and when I got to the part where I was instructed to "pull firmly but don't break anything" and had little success I packed it and am now sitting at the dealership watching a pro do it.
Old 04-17-2019, 02:52 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

Yesterday I finished carving and sanding the lighthouse. Last night I painted it.
This morning I blended green paint into some white clay to make the grass for the lighthouse.
Other than that, regular Sahd stuff. Somewhere in there was a mid afternoon father-daughter dance party.
Old 04-17-2019, 08:30 PM
Super Duper Daddy

I rode 47 miles on my bike. I'm wiped, but it was worth it.
Old 04-17-2019, 09:23 PM
Trophy Husband

Wednesday = Work Day. Beautiful day outside. Drove a bucket load of nice cars. For the first time since I started this gig the wife was home and saw how I get everything doe with our daughter getting out the door and me shortly after . Dealing with 2 dogs in the AM on top of that.