Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Fishing Gear

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > DIY Dads
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2017, 11:37 AM
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnydaddy View Post
Sorting out the logistics prior flying to France for a few weeks, we rented an awesome villa. Looking forward to some quality time with the fam!
You do realize that this is a "Dadstayshome" site, yes...or Si'....or Oui?
Old 06-07-2017, 04:00 PM
Super Duper Daddy

We've gone international, Mark. Don't tell the Donald.

Pictures are required in order for us to withhold any calls if shenanigans. ;-)
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 07-19-2017, 01:10 PM
Just Dad

So, not today, but earlier in the last month, a slow leak in the low pressure hose on my wife's jeep's a/c became a larger one, and the a/c went out during 90 degree days with 70%+ humidity. It cost me about $120, but I fixed it.

The riding mower decided to quit a couple weeks ago. With it being like the rainforest out here lately, two days after you mow, it looks like you didn't. I thought a piston rod had broken (on b&s, they seem to), but fortunately it was only a rocker arm off a valve. The silly engine has valve caps between the valve and the rocker arm, and one of them came off (probably lost in the block/oil sump). I'm waiting for new caps to come in the mail, but until then I gapped the rockers straight onto the valves. A little louder but it runs.

The 2.5 year-old dryer (Samsung) has been acting up lately. Every so often, I'd go to start it and would get a hum instead of the drum turning. If I gave the drum a little turn and then tried again it would start. So, I've got a dead spot in the start windings of the motor. Well, this weekend (with many loads of laundry ready to go, of course) that intermittent problem became a constant problem. Now, I have to hold the door button and spin the drum to get the thing started. It runs fine after that, I just have to kick-start each load. So, almost $200 with taxes and shipping to order a new motor assembly (or about $150 for just the motor). That will be my tomorrow after the part comes-in.

So, yesterday morning my pc starts doing some funny tricks while I'm surfing. Turns out the power supply cord was bad and had a bad connection with the pc power supply. Part of the cord connector is charred and the pin in the pc power supply is about half burnt away. WTH? So another power supply for the pc is on order. Only $40, but like I said, nickel and diming me to death.

I still need to change the oil in all three vehicles at some point as well.

"Just smile and wave, boys, smile and wave"--The Penguins, Madagascar
Old 07-19-2017, 02:05 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Send a message via AIM to gduck Send a message via Yahoo to gduck

Man, that sucks all those things falling apart on you at once. When it rains, it pours I guess.

I keep waiting for my wife's car to give up the ghost. We keep replacing little things here and there on it, but so far nothing big has gone. We're hoping to get at least another year out of it so that we'll have the money to get something nice rather than yet another stop gap vehicle.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:56 AM
Just Dad

More of the same. The van (kid carrier) had been having a tough time starting over the last few weeks. I finally tested the battery, and it was bad. Another $110 into the van. Now, at least it has a good battery. I'm just afraid to see the CC bill for the last month.

"Just smile and wave, boys, smile and wave"--The Penguins, Madagascar
Old 08-03-2017, 01:44 AM
Super Duper Daddy

Our friends lent us their electric nail gun and folding table saw. I'm loving having the table saw because using a circular saw and a 7" chop saw is still very limiting. I've had to learn how to use the table saw on the fly but I've picked up a bit and was able to rip cut some miters and angles I couldn't have done as easily with a circular saw and a jury rigged DIY fence.

In the past couple of days I've put up all the backing boards and mounted the rails and slats over them. I've been doing a LOT of measuring and got the basic structure of the stair wall done. I just need to measure to put the slats in at regular intervals and then cut the backing panels to fit.

(EDIT: I uploaded the image to Flickr but their mobile app doesn't have a "save as" preview so I had to go back and edit the tags/url)

Last edited by Kwak; 08-03-2017 at 02:44 PM.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:13 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Default Details, details...

I found the right type of picture frame molding and bought a whole bunch. It took a little thinking, but I figured out how to cut it so that the miters are meet up cleanly. My chop saw blade isn't the best but if I go slow it doesn't chew things up.

Old 08-10-2017, 11:17 PM
Trophy Husband

Nice detail kwakster. There is a trim work or finishing blade that works great on the more ornate trim. No carbide tips.

I am installing my first drop ceiling in the gym project I am wrapping up. 9' plus ceiling. Nice humping a ladder around a 12 x 12 room all day.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:23 AM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B. View Post
Nice detail kwakster. There is a trim work or finishing blade that works great on the more ornate trim. No carbide tips.

I am installing my first drop ceiling in the gym project I am wrapping up. 9' plus ceiling. Nice humping a ladder around a 12 x 12 room all day.
That's definitely an option, Mark. Power tools require a certain touch I don't yet have though. In the meantime I have a miter box with fine tooth Japanese pull saw. It's tedious but fine detail work is nice and mind numbing.