Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Other Stuff > Sports Talk
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2019, 12:10 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Steelers at Jets this Sunday, Mark. What are your thoughts? I hear Bell is a bust this year. The Steelers are pretty much putting the practice squad on the field because of injuries. The fact that they’re still in the hunt for the second wild card is a testament to how awful the AFC has been this year.
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 12-20-2019, 01:27 AM
Trophy Husband

We shall see about Sunday Kwak. Do not expect much for the Jets. Tomlin has done a nice job with all the injuries in Steel Town.
Old 04-24-2020, 01:31 PM
Diaper Jockey

The Packers shock the Green and Gold world and draft Aaron Rodgers' replacement!? Jordan Love, Utah State. Well...Aaron Rodgers was quoted in 2005 something to the effect that, "Everyone knows what it means when you draft a QB in the first round, eventually he has to play." Let's see how A-Rodg handles this. Clock is ticking 12!

"Ninety feet between bases is the nearest thing to perfection that man has yet achieved."

Red Smith
Old 06-29-2020, 02:22 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

I think Brett got hit in the head too many times.
When are these athletes and so called entertainers going to learn to shut up?

Last edited by irie feeling; 06-29-2020 at 02:29 PM.
Old 07-13-2020, 05:22 PM
Diaper Jockey

The "Washington Football Franchise" is officially searching for a new name. I'm not usually for the political correctness game, but it was probably time, long overdue, for this one to go. Would imagine the Cleveland Indians will be soon to follow suit, but might be too late for this season. As for the Chiefs and the Braves, they could probably get away with keeping their names while dropping any Native American references/images. Just put KC on the helmets, drop the Tomahawk chop. Could reference fire chiefs or whatever, and they don't necessarily need to associate it with anything in particular. Same with Braves. Take the hatchet off the uniforms - ditch the Tomahawk chop, which is annoying anyway. Could reference any type of bravery. Military. Probably can't reference the police these days. America in general, "home of the Brave." Of course honoring American is no longer cool either.

Washington Revolution, perhaps?

Naming a team is tricky. Especially when the current name has been ingrained for almost a century. Some of the ones the supposed professional sports writers have suggested for the Indians are just stupid. Spiders. Naps (after Nap Lajoie - and they were referred to the Naps before). Lakers. The Cleveland Rocks! (Go Drew Carey!) All just bad. Someone even said "Fellers" after Bob Feller. Huh?

Maybe we should just do what they do in Korea? Teams are named after corporate sponsors. Today it's the Minnesota Target vs. the Cleveland Progressive. Milwaukee AmFams, anyone!? Of course every time someone is offended by one of these companies (maybe Flo makes a bad commercial) we'd have to change sponsors. Good thing we didn't have any teams named after Goya Foods!

Why even have names? It's Washington vs. Green Bay. That's it. Play it safe.
The meat packing industry has come under fire recently for working conditions. We probably shouldn't be giving recognition to the industry with the name Packers anyway.

Go the Soccer route. Just add "United" after every city name and be done with it. Washington United Football Club.

"Ninety feet between bases is the nearest thing to perfection that man has yet achieved."

Red Smith
Old 07-14-2020, 12:53 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

Washington Kneelers?
Old 07-15-2020, 02:54 PM
Diaper Jockey

Read this morning that some guy trademarked like 10 or so possible names that the Redskins could possibly become in hopes that the team ownership would then have to buy or license the name from him.

In a case like this I think that substance would take precedence over form and a Federal Court would tell the guy to go pound sand.

Red Smith
Old 07-15-2020, 04:44 PM
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by irie feeling View Post
Washington Kneelers?

Washington Swamp Things

Btw, that guy copywriting names will probably work. When companies change names they usually keep it hush hush due to situations like this.
Old 07-16-2020, 02:49 PM
Diaper Jockey

I remember some guy tried it with "Harbowl" when the coaching Harbaugh brothers faced off in the Super Bowl a few years ago. The NFL squashed him like a cockroach with threatened legal proceedings, litigation, proof of purpose (in this case - extortion), and an ocean of paper work and told him that when he lost he'd have to pay the NFL's legal fees. The NFL got to use the term "Harbowl."

Red Smith
Old 07-16-2020, 10:47 PM
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBDad View Post
I remember some guy tried it with "Harbowl" when the coaching Harbaugh brothers faced off in the Super Bowl a few years ago. The NFL squashed him like a cockroach with threatened legal proceedings, litigation, proof of purpose (in this case - extortion), and an ocean of paper work and told him that when he lost he'd have to pay the NFL's legal fees. The NFL got to use the term "Harbowl."

That dude needs a better lawyer.

https://www.espn.com/nba/truehoop/mi...ts-memorabilia