Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Other Stuff > Book Club
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2009, 02:36 AM
Fred MacMurray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Skelton View Post
I'm reading The Best of H.P. Lovecraft, I get on a Lovecraft jag once every few years.
Lovecraft is one of my all time favorites. I've been reading his (and his contemporaries) Mythos works for decades.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:50 PM
Trophy Husband

Just finished "Shadows At Dawn" by Karl Jacoby. It tells the story of the beginning of the end for the Apache Indians in the South West which happened at the hands of Americans, Mexicans and O'odham Indians when they attacked and killed 150 unarmed Apache Indians on the morning of April 30th 1871. Most were woman and children. They were supposedly living in the security of Camp Grant which was controlled by the U.S.A. which led to the attack being called the "Camp Grant Massacre". It took many years to bring those who committed the atrocity to trial and in the end all were found not guilty. It was a pretty good lesson on the origins and history of the South West.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:11 PM
Clueless, but charming...

Finished 'Amberville' by Tim (or Mark, or ?) Davys (4 sure!), it was some twisted fiction, kind of like a crime-noir with stuffed animals as characters, once I got immersed in the world he created it was really good, good character development, and some truly sick stuff...brilliant. It was translated from Swedish, which I found out halfway thru, and that made a lot of the place names make more sense. Worth a read if you get tired of the same old stuff...

Now I'm reading 'The Big Both Ways' by John Straley, it's also fiction, kind of a mystery type novel. He lives in Sitka, Alaska, and his novel is set in Washington State and Alaska, by way of the Inside Passage. So far, it's been really good. Set during 1935, so the economic times are similar to today, interesting to read about the day to day for the working ( or non-working) class. I guess he's got another half dozen novels, all based in or around Alaska, I'll be checking them out for sure. He weaves a great picture of Alaska, only served to strengthen my desire to visit some day, though probably not by dory...
Old 04-28-2009, 07:22 PM
My Trike Kicks @$$

Send a message via ICQ to DarthDaddy Send a message via AIM to DarthDaddy Send a message via MSN to DarthDaddy Send a message via Yahoo to DarthDaddy

Just finished the 9 part Star Wars Legacy of the Force series on Audiobook... Not a bad story.

Loaded DUNE on the ipod yesterday...

XBOX LIVE ID: WONKEMTEL

Mmmmmm....Pancakes!!!
Old 04-28-2009, 09:35 PM
Dad in Training

How the hell do you guys find time to read? What is your secret?
Old 04-28-2009, 09:45 PM
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiesco Viduata View Post
I just got back into it the last year or two. It is almost impossible with real little ones. Either you are too busy or more likely too tired to read something longer than the funnies in the paper on the crapper.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:48 PM
Clueless, but charming...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiesco Viduata View Post
Personally, I just figured out that when I'm out driving around on errands and such, if the baby falls asleep I can just go park at the City Beach and read while taking in the scenery.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:53 AM
Just glad to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by taoistfrog View Post
Personally, I just figured out that when I'm out driving around on errands and such, if the baby falls asleep I can just go park at the City Beach and read while taking in the scenery.
I used to do the same. I actually found more time to read when they were young. The toddler demands much more of my time. I have a few books started, but haven't read now for a few weeks. Don't really want to, either, with the nicer weather and some new projects under way.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:38 AM
Super Duper Daddy

I hate to admit it, but I picked the Star Trek pulp novel "Countdown" that's basically the prequel to the upcoming movie. Sure, it's a glorified comic book but at this point my mind's so fried I need the pictures. Besides, it appeals to my dormant graphic artist.
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 05-30-2009, 05:00 PM
aka KlugeDaddy, Ben

I'm working on getting back into the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. Now that he's died, I'm avoiding the prior disappointment that there wouldn't be an unending series (Currently 3.5 million words and 11 books) with the 12th book being sketched out but being finished by another author. I'm about halfway through The Eye of the World.

At the same time, I have started reading the Toddler volume of the series that starts with The Expectant Father. So far they've been better books for dealing with the child than any of the Mom books. Guys just seem to pare it down to the essentials.

And then I ahve the new Harry Dresden book waiting for me at the library.