Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > DIY Dads
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2019, 01:07 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

I finished my prime "free borrow" on reading Egyptian hieroglyphs, lesson 1, returned it, and got another to improve my chess skills.
I'm on a bit of a stay-cation. Painkillers and antibiotics on top of anti-epilepsy, pills seizure pills less effective.
Salivary gland infection swelled up under my jaw like a golf ball.
Old 11-09-2019, 01:28 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

Antibiotics got my gut sick as hell.
Old 11-09-2019, 05:38 PM
Trophy Husband

So far, put away outdoor furniture in shed. Going to blow leaves forvte rest of the afternoon. Yay!
Old 11-14-2019, 05:49 PM
Super Duper Daddy

I spent half the day yesterday in my driveway in the freezing cold using a wet saw to cut tiles and ashamed to say that I have 4 more cuts to make but had to take the saw back because I only rented it for 4 hours. Today I'm having a hard time getting motivated to do a damn thing because I cut my hands up and my right hand still isn't 100%.

It's supposed to be 50 tomorrow. The tiles are all arranged with spacers and shims to correct for lippage (uneven surface) so I'm about ready to actually lay the damn things and be done with it. I'm going to use my hand grinder for the remaining cuts. Wish me luck.
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 11-15-2019, 12:24 AM
Homeschooling soccer dad

Went to Pippa's STEM cooperative school. Hung out with my friend for 4 hrs shooting the breeze, playing chess, just 2 old guy ms being hall monitors, bellowing, "You there- no running, why aren't you in class?"
I have a 2 hr shift, then my friend has a 2hr shift. He visits me for mine, I visit him for his. We are stuck there all day anyways.
We've encroached into a mommies world, and we can tell we aren't 100% welcome. It's like being the one lone Dad at playground with your children, on a Tuesday at 11 am.
Old 11-17-2019, 04:33 PM
Super Duper Daddy

I rented the large wet saw to cut the last few tiles and got things all pieced together. Everything is numbered and arranged.

Just now I had my wife help me removed the huge plate glass mirror and take it into the garage. We're not keeping it because it will get in the way of the new vanity. I haven't bought a replacement yet but am going to cheap out and just get two smaller mirrors. That means I have to plug the holes and paint the wall that will now be exposed. Painting I can handle though.

I know it doesn't look like much, but this is essentially practice for the bigger bathroom. I hear you guys though, I won't be doing it. We'll have to wait a bit for the finances to recuperate.
Old 11-17-2019, 07:34 PM
Trophy Husband

Looks great Kwak! Was it by luck or a plan that the knee wall between the toilet and sink area was on the edge of a tile on the toilet side AND the closet flange was on the edge of 2 tiles and not in the middle of 1? That is a nice time saver. Home stretch!
Old 11-18-2019, 04:54 AM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B. View Post
Looks great Kwak! Was it by luck or a plan that the knee wall between the toilet and sink area was on the edge of a tile on the toilet side AND the closet flange was on the edge of 2 tiles and not in the middle of 1? That is a nice time saver. Home stretch!
Thanks, Mark. It was by plan. The whole tile opposite the half wall is my "key" tile and everything else builds off that and is partly staggered by thirds. I had to make some short cuts that I hope don't come back to haunt me.

BTW, in laying everything out I also found out that I had a lot of duplicate tiles with exact patterns in the marble texture. Mostly it was only 2 tiles per pattern but I had 3 copies of one pattern and even 4 of another. I spent the better part of a week trying to work the patterns around so that there wasn't any duplication. I ended up cutting those more redundant tiles for the edges. particularly where they would eventually be covered by the vanity.

PS: I also had to rent a snap cutter once (before discovering that they suck at cutting porcelain) and large wet saw twice in order to get everything done.

The plan for tomorrow (after running a couple of errands in the morning) is to mix up medium set mortar in stages so that I can lay out the room in thirds; I don't want the mortar hardening on me 2/3 of the way into the job. Hopefully I can work without rushing and have it all laid out in half a day. 24 hours after that I have to go back and do the grout.
Old 11-19-2019, 01:07 PM
Super Duper Daddy

OK, today I'm taking it easy. My hands are killing me from laying tile yesterday afternoon into the evening. The clothes I wore are caked with mortar and my hands are cracked and dried from working with the stuff. I even broke a nail! (gasp!)

I actually started by wearing gloves but they got ripped on the notched trawl and were getting in my way. On the bright side, my knees are OK; I invested in knee pads.

What I'm really frustrated by is that as I started the last row I discovered that I hadn't given myself enough "wiggle room" and tile #32 (the very last one) was not going to fit because the notch I cut for the doorjamb was not deep enough. The solution was supposed to be easy-peasy; just use nippers to take a little bit off one side - but I ended up cracking the whole corner off the tile.

I decided to quit right then. I was running out of mortar anyway and need to see if I can find the same stuff I used premixed and in small tubs because I only have the 4 tiles narrow tiles left by the door. I have to admit that there is a little lippage (less than 1/16") in a couple of places despite using wedges and clips. I put down a towel and 50 pound weights on it. I'm putting mats there anyway. F*** it.

BTW, the reason I started so late was because the morning and early afternoon were eaten up running errands for my kids and mother. There's a rant in there but I'll spare you guys.
Old 11-19-2019, 11:29 PM
Trophy Husband

C'mon Kwak! Every home project need s a little ajida (sp?) near the end. I just noticed you went saddleless at the door. Good luck the rest of the way.

I wrote a check for $200 to the garage door repairman today. He says they do 3-5 of these torsion springs a day. News to me. Dropped off stuff at Goodwill. Usual shopping. Took the wife to her Dr. appointment in the big city, Hartford. UHG! Finished all the touch-up painting in the Family cave in time for my son's friends to F it up over the Thanksgiving break next week. Got my wife's XM radio trial promo up and running, she was happy, for now. Food shopping FINALLY had a gutter cleaning guy call me back and got on the books

Last edited by Mark B.; Yesterday at 12:00 AM.