Stay at Home Dads Forum

Stay at Home Dads Forum (http://www.dadstayshome.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Dads (http://www.dadstayshome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Philadelphia dads (http://www.dadstayshome.com/showthread.php?t=6913)

Captain Tuttle 01-14-2008 11:40 PM

Philadelphia dads

Let's finally get a head count...maybe we could put something together.

I'm in Wayne PA, about 15 miles west of the city.

Bollux 01-14-2008 11:42 PM

i'm down you know that.. Southampton 'ere

always willing to do whatever... have memberships to zoo, camden aquarium sesame place.....

chuck 01-15-2008 03:26 AM

Hey how about a get together at the Camden Aquarium? Say on presidents day (Monday February 18th) My wife will be working being it's not a "real" holiday but the kid will be out of school. it's a easy to get to place for us Jersey guy's and you Penn. guy's, even pretty easy for you guy's up and down the cost (to a point ;) ) a fun day! Battleship is right there as well and Phili. is only a quick jump over the river. (ummm cheese steak! )
What do you all think??

jeffus 01-15-2008 03:52 AM

As the wife is from Philly, we frequent the place quite often. (Philadelphia, that is).

Captain Tuttle 01-15-2008 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuck (Post 105570)
Hey how about a get together at the Camden Aquarium? Say on presidents day (Monday February 18th) My wife will be working being it's not a "real" holiday but the kid will be out of school. it's a easy to get to place for us Jersey guy's and you Penn. guy's, even pretty easy for you guy's up and down the cost (to a point ;) ) a fun day! Battleship is right there as well and Phili. is only a quick jump over the river. (ummm cheese steak! )
What do you all think??

That's a great idea Chuck. My wife has off so she could stay at home with the little one or come with us if the little girl was up to it. Let me talk to her.

Captain Tuttle 01-15-2008 12:40 PM

Hey, we're in. The wife is going to stay home with the baby that day.

jeffus 01-16-2008 02:52 AM

I'm guessing we have off from school too and would love to join your glorious outing...

I've been to the fish farm, ur I mean aquarium, 3 times and that battleship is literally out the back door of the place. Oh look! A penquin!..How cute! Argh!:wall: .

I built the plastic model ship as a kid, got the wall poster, watched it be mothballed, retro-fitted and put back into service, lobbied for it to become a museum instead of scrap. Bought new posters and shared them with my nephew. And it's right outside the freaking fish-farm, I mean aquarium! bouncer

You guys can look at the fish, I'll be over at the battleship! Ugh-ugh-ugh!

Bollux 01-16-2008 03:02 AM

this coming from a scuba diver... i am thinking the kids prefer the fish the dads prefer the ship.

jeffus 01-16-2008 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bollux (Post 105817)
this coming from a scuba diver... i am thinking the kids prefer the fish the dads prefer the ship.

I love fish. I have them over for dinner sometimes. =P~

Fish are food. Not Friends! ;)

Bollux 01-16-2008 05:10 AM

lol ok there marlin

Captain Tuttle 01-16-2008 12:10 PM

Cool.

So we have :
Chuck
Jeffus
Bollux
Will'sdad

Anyone else? Maddox? Jerseydad?

chuck 01-16-2008 01:30 PM

Awesome! Ya the battleship is way cool! I spent the night on it with the scouts and got the "real" tour, that ship has seen some wild times! They also have couple of ships on the other side of the river, haven't been to the yet but they look cool.
Ok according to this page it looks like its one of there busier days, no biggie as far as I'm concerned, every time I've been there during the week it's packed with school trip kids, so I figure its always busy, anyone have any input?

Captain Tuttle 01-16-2008 01:35 PM

If we're concerned about crowds would Sunday be better for some? I'm fine with either day really.

On another note, I noticed that our local Acme market sells discounted tickets to the aquarium...might be worth checking out in your neighborhood.

Bollux 01-16-2008 08:01 PM

yes acme has discounted coupons and i think i can get in a total of 6 with my pass....2 adults and 4 kids.

MADDOX626 01-30-2008 05:03 PM

you guys have anything planned?

Daddeo 02-01-2008 01:28 AM

Hi Fellas, you all still going to the aqarium cause I would like to jump on board.

Collin

chuck 02-01-2008 02:46 AM

You bet! This is on in a big way! Everyone is more than welcome for sure! I'm even thinking a case of cold ones and some travel mugs out in the parking lot, let the kids play with the fishies and the dads kick back and smile! If I remember correctly there is a brew shop right in Cherry hill that makes a brew called fish bones or something, I'll find some :)
I'm not to concerned with crowds I've never been there when it wasn't packed, the more kids in there the better, we won't have to worry about our kids acting up since you know everyone will be there with there nutty kids and they will make ours look like angles :)
Come one come all!

Monday February 18th (presidents day)
Time: Not sure yet, before noon I should think
Will need lunch, it go's without saying the food there will be expensive so if we want to bring lunch and eat out in the cars/trucks thats cool too, with a little work we should all be able to park near each other in the parking garage.
Liquid lunch for dad is ok (I'm not telling anyones wife;) )
Possible side trip to the battleship (it's parked directly behind the fish shop)
There is a ferry that can run you across the river to the city, any thoughts on doing that? Don't think time will allow it for those who have a afternoon nap but we can play it by ear, everyone should not feel obligated to do everything, we've all been there with the little ones ;)
My son is Ten and real good with the little kids and always more than happy to help with them, so don't feel bad about letting him help you out so you can have some peace, he enjoys it and is fairly responsible with them and knows when to come get you for help.(he's a scout what can I say)
All ideas and coments welcome lets turn this into some fun guys!

Daddeo 02-01-2008 03:14 PM

Cool beans man just let us in on the details time what plans are to bring lunch etc liquid lunch sounds gooood!!! chugchug:

Bollux 02-01-2008 03:34 PM

maybe i shall bring some of my next batch o brew.

MADDOX626 02-04-2008 04:27 PM

What time are you guys getting to Camden? And how old is everyones kids?

chuck 02-04-2008 04:34 PM

Well we are coming from the other side of the state, so I'm thinking around 11 or 11:30am, more than likely I will be carpooling with Jeffus, and since he's basking in the sun and playing with Micky Mouse this week I can't guarantee a time yet, I'm sure we can do a little earlier as well, just calling it safe for now.
My son is 10 (built in helper with the little ones), Jeffus's daughter is six.
Bollux bring it on! :)

Bollux 02-04-2008 04:46 PM

my son is 3 and enjoys the aquarium.

i also extended the invite to Louis if he wanted. he said he will see about coming.

Captain Tuttle 02-04-2008 08:39 PM

My boy is 2 1/2...we've never been to the aquarium.

Daddeo 02-05-2008 01:07 AM

My daughter is 20 mths and my son is 6yrs looking for forward tomeeting all of ya.

Collin

Bollux 02-11-2008 11:23 PM

so with the possible event a week away, who's in?

Captain Tuttle 02-11-2008 11:49 PM

I'm in but am limited to the morning. The wife has a 2 o'clock flight to catch. She's got a conference all week in Florida.

jeffus 02-12-2008 01:15 AM

I'm in.

Daddeo 02-12-2008 02:31 AM

I'm in,

Collin

Bollux 02-12-2008 02:33 AM

the aquarium opens at 9:30, what time do we want to meet? taking into consideration that will's has only morning to kill.

chuck 02-12-2008 04:10 AM

I'm in, hey if we can do 9:30 than I say so be it!
We divide into two teams, while team A go's out to truck to slam a brew team B watchs over kids, than switch off, by noon we will all be happy to see the fishies! (and still have time to not have beer breath when the wife gets home from work ;) )

jeffus 02-12-2008 04:15 AM

And Team C heads over to the Battleship - right?!bouncer

Pick me for Team C! Please!

Rock, paper, scissors!

Bollux 02-12-2008 05:01 AM

given the current temp should it be the same next monday i dunno about the battleship outdoors. yall can go freeze your butts off I will go be warm inside. as for the beers, can meet in parking lot put in opaque cups and drink as we walk to the aquarium. ditch the cups as we enter.

jeffus 02-12-2008 12:08 PM

Eh - I'm just kidding about the battleship.

Let's stay inside & warm.

Captain Tuttle 02-12-2008 12:30 PM

Hey Bollux, are strollers allowed? I think I'll bring the girl as well if they are.

Edit: Nevermind, I just saw that they allow strollers. I'll be bringing both kids.

Bollux 02-12-2008 03:48 PM

yeah stroller, elevator etc they have a 4d movie theater but not sure if that would be on the list of things to do.

jeffus i am all for the battleship... on a nice warm day lol

chuck 02-12-2008 09:11 PM

land lubbers!:)
The last few times I've been there the movie was a sponge bob movie, not all that good and I don't see any kid under five sitting thru it, I say we skip it and go fishing :)

Bollux 02-12-2008 10:28 PM

lol yeah never saw the sponge bob one just the pirate and the polar express one.

Bollux 02-14-2008 02:52 AM

sampled the brew last night. pretty good imo.

so last tally has it:

chuck
jeffus
will's
daddeo
bollux
louis.. (possibly will call him this weekend to see if yea or nay)

anyone else?

Daddeo 02-15-2008 11:04 AM

Where are we going to meet up outside or inside,is the plan still to bring n drinkdrink: , Oops forgot food for kiddos.

Collin

chuck 02-15-2008 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daddeo (Post 110544)
Where are we going to meet up outside or inside,is the plan still to bring n drinkdrink: , Oops forgot food for kiddos.

Collin

Well if I remember correctly, there is both a parking garage and several parking lots, been a while since I've been out there, so if any of you guys go often please chime in, my guess is we can try to pick a area to park together, I also suggest we all exchange cell #'s, I do suggest we meet before entering the building as when that place is busy it gets nuts with kids.
Also meeting in the parking lot will leave amble opportunity for a little suds:beer: sampling, depending on weather, it would be nice to have a little meet and greet before going in(lets face it 9:30am is basically the middle of the day for most of uschugchug: ), as once again the place is loud and nuts with kids.
Lunch, they have a cafeteria style lunch place there, kid stuff to eat, food is not to bad if I remember correctly, and as you would expect off the wall expensive, being I only have one to feed I'm not against the idea of eating there, but I certainly understand if anyone would like to bring lunch, I'm all for that as well, whichever we do decide on we should all do the same, if we bring lunch that would give us a real nice reason to head back to the cars :beer:
Show-up time: It opens at 9:30, we are ruffly 1.5 hours away, I will commit to being there between 9:30 and 10:00, getting the kid out of the house isn't to bad so pending traffic I should be good for 9:30, this way we have the better part of the day there, it is a pretty good sized place for those who haven't been there before, definitely a kid wearing down kind of place, they run thru the whole thing and it's ok, the kids run the place for sure:roll:
Should be a great time for all! I'm really looking forward to meeting you guy's !:pals: