Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > DIY Dads
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2019, 11:09 AM
Super Duper Daddy

You know youíre falling behind when your wife proactively asks ďwhat are your goals for today?Ē Smh.

What I should do is measure her bathroom and buy up some materials for subfloor and backer board. That way when she finally gets around to deciding on a vanity I can gut the room and have all the pieces ready to put it back together more quickly.

Itís on me for spraining my thumb but the doctor tells me it will take weeks to heal. Iím already overdoing it. These materials are heavy.
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 09-27-2019, 01:06 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Well, that didnít go well. I followed the instructions on the thin set and it took me longer than it should have. It started hardening as I began trawling it out for the last board so it didnít compact as well and left a big uneven spot right at a seam. I spent most of the evening taking it all back down to bare subfloor.

My body hurts. Iím thinking that Iím going to forego the mortar altogether. It added about 1/8Ē to the height of the floor. Itís a tight fit already but the door frame got in the way and complicated things.
Old 09-27-2019, 02:37 PM
Trophy Husband

Ate, golfed,drink repeat.
Old 09-27-2019, 05:22 PM
Super Duper Daddy

IEP meeting this morning for 2 hours. They donít get easier and IMHO Kelly should have at least stayed in town 4 hours longer in order to attend. In the interests of humility I left some important paperwork on the kitchen table. Even though I had just finished filling it out I didnít realize Iíd forgotten it until I was more then halfway there and already running late. I was the crazy guy in the long line at that infuriatingly long red light dropping F bombs. My finest hour it was not.

Later on Iím going to visit Justin. Heís getting blood work drawn downtown at the Childrenís Hospital and apparently heís been giving staff the business. Smh.

Last but not least, but thereís now a detour along the way to Justinís house that tacks another 15 minutes on to the trip. They shut down a bridge that has been in need of major work for a long time now. Pittsburgh bridges be falling down.
Old 10-01-2019, 11:29 AM
Super Duper Daddy

Iím glad I took up the backing board and thinset that I put down. Iíve been doing my homework and discovered that I used the wrong kind of thinset. It didnít have a polymer in the mix so it wouldnít have dried right and wouldnít provide a moisture barrier for the subfloor. I had to blow another $30 for new backer board but I havenít found the right formula thinset at the local Home Depot; I may have to pay a visit to Loweís. Prices are a little higher but they have better selection.

For now though I need to clean out all the concrete dust off the subfloor. Itís a real mess in there now. Smh.
Old 10-01-2019, 11:55 AM
Homeschooling soccer dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
I’m glad I took up the backing board and thinset that I put down. I’ve been doing my homework and discovered that I used the wrong kind of thinset. It didn’t have a polymer in the mix so it wouldn’t have dried right and wouldn’t provide a moisture barrier for the subfloor. I had to blow another $30 for new backer board but I haven’t found the right formula thinset at the local Home Depot; I may have to pay a visit to Lowe’s. Prices are a little higher but they have better selection.

For now though I need to clean out all the concrete dust off the subfloor. It’s a real mess in there now. Smh.
Sounds like you were in over your head, wrong thin set and all.
Cost you more $$.
Should have hired a pro.

Last edited by irie feeling; 10-01-2019 at 11:59 AM.
Old 10-01-2019, 04:00 PM
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by irie feeling View Post
Sounds like you were in over your head, wrong thin set and all.
Cost you more $$.
Should have hired a pro.

+1! And this is the easy part of the job. Cutting 12" x 24" tiles is not going to be fun. Need a big ass tile wet saw for that.
Old 10-02-2019, 11:22 AM
Just Dad

Kwak, for a water barrier, a few coats of RedGard should work. Apply it directly over your backer board. Make sure the backer is moist or wet when you apply the first coat or cut the first coat with water so that it will soak into the backer board. Just use modified thinset to glue your tiles on top of it. Just don't do two vapor barriers... mold sandwich.

Last edited by TwoCubs; 10-02-2019 at 11:29 AM.
Old 10-02-2019, 11:56 AM
Super Duper Daddy

Thanks guys. Iím anxious to get this done but I donít want to break the bank on a small project if I can help it. That being said, I feel like I should take a class at Home Depot before I go any further. Our local HD has one scheduled for October 26.
Old 10-02-2019, 09:15 PM
Trophy Husband

Kwak, gutting a bathroom, half or full, is not a "small project". I can only wonder were the toilet flange tile cut will end up on a 1' by 2' tile.