Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > Advice from Dads for Dads
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2021, 11:25 AM
Just Dad

Oh, I check Craig'sList regularly. I did not realize the weight limit included the bike. Good to know. I'll have to do trails. I definitely would not ride the roads around here. Not with the way people mess with their phones while driving. I'm doing this to try to decrease anxiety/stress. There's a bike shop about half an hour away that I'm going check-out this week, if I get the chance.
Old 04-12-2021, 12:05 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCubs View Post
Oh, I check Craig'sList regularly. I did not realize the weight limit included the bike. Good to know. I'll have to do trails. I definitely would not ride the roads around here. Not with the way people mess with their phones while driving. I'm doing this to try to decrease anxiety/stress. There's a bike shop about half an hour away that I'm going check-out this week, if I get the chance.
Good luck!

BTW, I did a little checking for some more ideas for you. The Mongoose Dolomite is included in this list, but I the Zize Bikes 29Er Max 2.0 8 SPD is intriguing. 29ers are typically faster than the older 26" tire bikes.
https://www.bestcomfortbike.com/bikes-for-over-400-lbs/
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 04-13-2021, 11:26 AM
Just Dad

Nice. The picture for the article has a petite girl in front of the bike. I would have thought a picture of Nick Frost would have been more appropriate.

Old 04-13-2021, 12:21 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Thatís called click bait. Sheís supposed to embody the ideal of you being a father who is healthy enough to walk her down the aisle. Yeah, thatís probably it! 😉
Old 04-20-2021, 10:27 AM
Just Dad

So, I checked-out the local bike shop on Saturday. The guy wasn't real interested in dealing with me. His primary income seemed to be repairing bikes, and he didn't seem have any desire to help me find what I wanted. Maybe if I'd walked-in with a wad of 100's, but maybe not not. Oh well. I'm not in a hurry and school's almost out, so it's not like I will have the time.
Old 04-28-2021, 03:07 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCubs View Post
So, I checked-out the local bike shop on Saturday. The guy wasn't real interested in dealing with me. His primary income seemed to be repairing bikes, and he didn't seem have any desire to help me find what I wanted. Maybe if I'd walked-in with a wad of 100's, but maybe not not. Oh well. I'm not in a hurry and school's almost out, so it's not like I will have the time.
Sounds to me like Wal Mart might be your best best then. It sounds like you just need something to get started with and like I said they carry that Mongoose bike that may carry your weight. There's no shame in that; I see many GT's and Diamondbacks and other lower end bikes on the local trail. Hell, I saw a grown man on a tricycle - and it was an actual adaptive non-E-bike cycle. There was no "Baby Huey" vibe about it. It had gears and everything.

I'll admit that I'm a bike snob but back in the day I rode Huffies until the wheels fell off and the chain froze. I remember getting leg cramps - a LOT, which is where my wife has been. We actually worked up to where we are and it's been kind of fun to upgrade.

BTW, we took our 14yo for a ride on my wife's old hybrid. The poor kid couldn't keep up. He clearly is lacking adequate exercise. We need to make these family rides a habit. Hell, I'd love to get Justin one of those tricycles.
Old 04-29-2021, 11:09 AM
Just Dad

Wow, he's 14? I had to double check your signature line. They're growing-up.

So, I'll probably order one from wallyworld or amazon. I'm dealing with a TMJ problem right now but will get back to the bike once that is clear. With summer vacation coming up, that may be this fall.
Old 04-29-2021, 12:00 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Yup. 14 already. Where does the time go?

I understand the finances thing. We actually got pretty lucky this year with my wife's recent promotions. FWIW I'd love to get another bike too, but even though she "upbiked" after just 4 years she's pretty stingy where I'm concerned so I'm buying cheap tools and parts on my own and trying to learn how to upgrade what I got.