Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Other Stuff > Book Club
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2009, 05:41 PM
Just glad to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbart View Post
I'm reading Toni Morrison's A Mercy. If you like Morrison, this is some of her finest work.

I've heard that it's great. I loved Paradise and others. I'll have to check that out.

Mark, that sounds like a good read, too. Thanks for the info.
Old 10-23-2009, 03:50 AM
It's too quiet!

Default What to expect when you're expected - a fetus's guide to the first 3 trimesters

This looked interesting..
Old 10-23-2009, 12:43 PM
Always Irritated

currently reading Kafka's The Trial, if you have a really good memory you might remember I started it about a year and a half ago but I never made it through the first chapter, this time it does have me hooked and I'm not sure exactly where it is going yet and I like that.
Old 10-23-2009, 02:19 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffus View Post
This looked interesting..
Looks funny! Might have to browse through it in the bookstore this week.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:09 PM
aka KlugeDaddy, Ben

I picked up Parenting is a Contact Sport at the library. 1/3rd through it and so far everything she says that we should do has failed for her or the people she's offered this advice to have not taken it. I'm totally confused. Especially about the title. This Contact Sport thing? Not so much. The Eight Step process is to Do things for our kids health and safety and then to be with them in a listening and talking sort or way. No contact whatsoever.

I doubt I'll keep it.

Next up: Gilead by Marilynn Robinson and Book 7 of The Wheel of Time. TOR stopped their re-read because the release date of book 12 was moved up a month or two. I'm going to get the audiobook version of Gilead to see if we can listen to it on our way to Bloomington and maybe more through the weekend. We need to "read" it for a book study at church that I'm leading.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:35 PM
Official Site Hatemonger

I read "The Lost Symbol" by Dan Brown yesterday.

From a reader's perspective: it is the usual Dan Brown. Short chapters with several story lines running at the same time. He does weave an interesting web that he pulls together at the end with a twist. I read it in one day, which is typical of his work. It reads fast.

From a Mason's perspective: Lots of errors. The usual "33rd degree is highest" mistake. (It's not, the 3rd degree is the highest degree) He gets the code incorrect to translate the symbols on the pyramid. He thinks that revealing the ritual will result in outrage from the uninitiated populace. He implies that you can buy into honorary degrees. He puts degree work in the House of the Temple which does not occur there. He perpetuates the "secret knowledge in the 33rd degree" myth.

But hey, it's FICTION!

So really, no surprises that he gets the story right, but the Masonic stuff not quite. At least he sheds a positive light on the Craft, even though he spreads some mis-information.

If you have not read it, you should. It is a good book, even if you don't like Freemasons.

"If any of you need anything at all, too bad. Deal with your problems yourselves like adults." Ron Swanson
Old 11-10-2009, 01:37 PM
Official Site Hatemonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sao95 View Post
currently reading Kafka's The Trial, if you have a really good memory you might remember I started it about a year and a half ago but I never made it through the first chapter, this time it does have me hooked and I'm not sure exactly where it is going yet and I like that.
Good movie!

"If any of you need anything at all, too bad. Deal with your problems yourselves like adults." Ron Swanson
Old 11-10-2009, 07:30 PM
Always Irritated

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57plymouth View Post
Good movie!
I never saw the movie, but the book sucked. It was pretty good and then boom it was he end, it just felt like the ending was slapped on half way through, interesting enough I read a note from the editor where It said it was published after Kafka was dead, and that Kafka didn't think the book was finished, but the editor/publisher did. I did like the story, but the end was just to fast compared to all the buildup and detail the story previously had going.
Old 11-16-2009, 04:54 PM
Trophy Husband

Just finished "The Daddy Shift" by Jeremy Smith who lives on the planet San Francisco. He stayed home with his one son for a cup of coffee and decided to write a book to tell his wish for parenting in the future. His vision among other things is for large governmental policies to force all companies to give longer (up to 1 year) leave to both parents of children. And it does not have to be from the day of birth, or even within a year.

I think that even all my male friends and family who I rag on are far more involved with their kids lives than the generation before and it probably is largely due to the increase in woman working more full time jobs. Even the author came in and out of this idea. That seems to be the bottom line. And if living expenses continue to rise we might have plateaued in that regard and there will be less stay at home parents at all future.

As the author poked and plotted his "egalitarian utopia" he took many opportunities to take jabs on the Catholic Church and the far right for their beliefs in child raising duties. I was left to wonder why he did not do the same to the second largest Religion in the world, Islam.

Last edited by Mark B.; 11-16-2009 at 06:17 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 06:11 PM
Always Irritated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B. View Post
he took many opportunities to take jabs on the Catholic Church
wonder why he's so anti-Catholic, I can't say I've encountered any more resistance than from any other boxed religion.