Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > DIY Dads
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2021, 01:32 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B. View Post
Kwak,

You asked for a recommendation of washer/dryer. We purchased these. Delivery and installed Saturday. They have wfi! Please don't ask the old man why. We do not stack them. I have to put the folded laundry some where for people to ignore for days.

The sales lady at HD (who was very good and helpful BTW ) asked me if my wife wanted to stack the units. I laughed and told her I run the laundry in our house. She was taken back. Then I told her my new favorite joke I heard the other day "The last time my wife touched and iron she was playing Monopoly" she giggled and moved on.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/LG-Elect...HBA/314744262?
LOL @ at that comment about your wife not touching an iron. Mine doesn't even put her clothes in her dresser or put her dirty dishes in the dishwasher.

Yeah - no clue why you'd need Bluetooth. Ever since I had a toaster burst into flames I don't run any appliances if I'm not at least in earshot.
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 02-03-2021, 04:15 PM
Super Duper Daddy

After my wife had us rearrange the living room I decided to FINALLY order a new media console. We'd been getting by with a corner pedestal for years after having ditched the freakin yuge CRT SONY WEGA. I need to break it down today.

I ordered it from Wayfair and the courier left it leaning against our garage door yesterday. It is what it is: particle board, MDF and barrel bolts but if it lasts us 5 years I'll be satisfied. It cost less than $300.

I'm in the process of simplifying the cable management and tossing out a LOT of outdated A/V and gaming gear. Believe it or not but I still have the old wii with all the associated attachments, a wiiU, a Nintendo 3DS, a Nintendo Switch, the old XBOX 360 with two controllers, along with all the game cases, DVDs and even VHS tapes in there! For now only the XBOX ONE S is hooked up. I'm almost up to date on my technology!
Old 02-10-2021, 01:27 PM
Super Duper Daddy

I'm revisiting the paint scheme in Joe's room. I admit, I dropped the ball with regards to the baseboard and the joints around the windows look like dog crap. I'm seeing that in true teenage boy fashion he's also putting his feel on the walls so I slapped a coat of paint on them the other day. He wants a new color and it's going to involve priming over the royal blue that he wanted.

Also, I got word from Home Depot that that French door my wife wants is NOT a standard size and that they can't order one, so I'm back to square one. That would explain why my wife is in a snit. Personally, I think we should be mad at Home Depot over that because she was told it WAS a standard size. Now I have to make more f***ing phone calls.
Old 02-12-2021, 01:26 PM
Just Dad

Kwak, what size is the door? Or at least the actual opening that you have to work with?

Hey, wait a minute... don't you know a carpenter?

Last edited by TwoCubs; 02-12-2021 at 01:28 PM.
Old 02-12-2021, 02:54 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCubs View Post
Kwak, what size is the door? Or at least the actual opening that you have to work with?

Hey, wait a minute... don't you know a carpenter?
The actual opening is 73-1/2" wide. The standard size is 74-1/4." I'm not too good with hanging doors and a double door is twice as heavy and twice as hard. My wife has been waiting for 9 months now and her patience is wearing thin.
Old 02-12-2021, 05:55 PM
Trophy Husband

Kwak, is your measurement 73 1/2" stud to stud in the opening or to any trim or drywall that may be there akready?
Old 02-12-2021, 07:17 PM
Super Duper Daddy

I removed the trim to get an accurate measurement from stud to stud.
Old 02-15-2021, 04:53 PM
Just Dad

So, you need 3/4 of an inch? Maybe time to bust out the skill saw (or circular saw depending on your use of local terms and vernacular) and shave about 3/8" off of each side. To make the line straight, screw a straight edge of lumber to the wall for the saw to use as a guide. You won't bother the structure. If it's already an opening, then it already has a header and plenty of jack-studs. There should be two jack studs on either side of that size of opening. After you shave off the 3/8" on either side you can sink a half dozen 3 1/2" screws into the shaved jack studs to bond them more securely to the king studs. I agree that hanging a door is a huge PIA, but hanging a frame with pre-hung doors is much easier.
Old 02-16-2021, 11:38 PM
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCubs View Post
So, you need 3/4 of an inch? Maybe time to bust out the skill saw (or circular saw depending on your use of local terms and vernacular) and shave about 3/8" off of each side. To make the line straight, screw a straight edge of lumber to the wall for the saw to use as a guide. You won't bother the structure. If it's already an opening, then it already has a header and plenty of jack-studs. There should be two jack studs on either side of that size of opening. After you shave off the 3/8" on either side you can sink a half dozen 3 1/2" screws into the shaved jack studs to bond them more securely to the king studs. I agree that hanging a door is a huge PIA, but hanging a frame with pre-hung doors is much easier.

My "play" back in the day was to remove a stud from 1 side and replace it with a piece of 1 by. Trim the toe plate. Worked like a charm every time.

Also just noticed the pics of the TV upgrade. I like the 1st corner setup better. Not a fan of the over fireplace TV. Just my taste.

Last edited by Mark B.; 02-17-2021 at 12:24 AM.
Old 02-17-2021, 03:26 PM
Super Duper Daddy

I'm done messing with studs. If I screw it up it will get lorded over me.

As for the TV, we reoriented the entire room around that and no, it doesn't totally work. The audio is much better though - though the new TV is a big part of that. I would like to get some Bluetooth speakers as well.