Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > General Posts
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2021, 01:31 PM
Trophy Husband

Good morning. Last day of the heat wave today. Looks to be a 3 tee shirt day. Just went for a 30 minute walk before hitting golf balls. The golf balls might have to wait until this evening. We shall see.

Kwak, biking question. On my walk a few minutes ago I witnessed a younger couple riding down a 2 lane public road with very little shoulder that has moderate traffic usually. The woman was in front and a man behind her. They were on 10 speed type bikes all geared up going down hill at a pretty good clip. What caught my eye was that the woman had a young baby with a helmet on strapped to a grey upright baby seat mounted on her bike behind her. You usually see that setup on a walking biking path not in traffic. Is that legal?
Old 08-27-2021, 05:39 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B. View Post
Good morning. Last day of the heat wave today. Looks to be a 3 tee shirt day. Just went for a 30 minute walk before hitting golf balls. The golf balls might have to wait until this evening. We shall see.

Kwak, biking question. On my walk a few minutes ago I witnessed a younger couple riding down a 2 lane public road with very little shoulder that has moderate traffic usually. The woman was in front and a man behind her. They were on 10 speed type bikes all geared up going down hill at a pretty good clip. What caught my eye was that the woman had a young baby with a helmet on strapped to a grey upright baby seat mounted on her bike behind her. You usually see that setup on a walking biking path not in traffic. Is that legal?
I'm honestly not sure. It depends largely on the state and I think the biggest issue would be the age/size of the child and the design of the child seat. I know that in Pennsylvania infants have to be in rear facing vehicle seats.

Other than that, I'm sure it was legal. Many states consider bicycles to be vehicles and are liable to the rules of the road as well as due the same consideration from other vehicles - unless the roadway is marked "motor vehicles only" such as on a 4 lane divided highway. Again, it varies by state. Here in Pennsylvania bicycles are entitled to 4' on lane space on roads. It ticks of many drivers but the law is in response to a lot of hit and runs.

Would I have done that? Probably not, but the young millennial parents nowadays do things that confuse the heck out of me.

BTW, that reminds me. Tomorrow is PedalPGH, an organized group bike ride hosted by BikePGH which is a bicyclist organization in the city that has been instrumental in setting up dedicated bicycle lanes throughout the city. This will be the second and last ride of the season for us - usually we do 4 or 5 throughout the area. We did one upstate last weekend and I took Joe on the 21 mile route through the hills of Amish county in northwestern Pennsylvania. This one will be dicier as it is in the city. I'm thinking we're going to be doing the 25 mile loop.
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 08-28-2021, 12:52 AM
Trophy Husband

Kwak, all I can say is that it is a tight road that does allow bikes and post signs to let people know and there are decals on the road as well. These riders were out for a training workout, not just trying to catch a breeze on a hot day. Like I said full gear. baby was facing forward and honestly if Mommy had a bad incident the baby's helmet might have given it a chance at an open casket. BTW, the road they were heading to is a bit wider but a 50MPH sped limit.
Old 08-28-2021, 01:35 AM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B. View Post
Kwak, all I can say is that it is a tight road that does allow bikes and post signs to let people know and there are decals on the road as well. These riders were out for a training workout, not just trying to catch a breeze on a hot day. Like I said full gear. baby was facing forward and honestly if Mommy had a bad incident the baby's helmet might have given it a chance at an open casket. BTW, the road they were heading to is a bit wider but a 50MPH sped limit.
Yeah. Like I said, the younger parents nowadays a bit flaky.

By the way, Pittsburgh is a city of rivers, bridges, hills and tunnels. Some geniiis decided to rent those electric scooters. The other day my wife and I were crossing a 5 lane bridge that leads over one of the three rivers and into a tunnel and a young couple on electric scooters were putting along in the right lane up against t the berm. Ive heard that people have actually ridden them into the tunnel which 2 lanes and over a 1/4 mile long.

Again: flaky. Common sense is lacking among the 25-49 demographic.
Old 08-30-2021, 11:01 AM
Just Dad

Good morning, guys.

C'mon. Common sense lacking in the 25-49 demographic? Don't loop me in with the millennials.
How about 20-40? Besides, half of the population is below average.
Old 08-30-2021, 01:32 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCubs View Post
Good morning, guys.

C'mon. Common sense lacking in the 25-49 demographic? Don't loop me in with the millennials.
How about 20-40? Besides, half of the population is below average.
Good morning, TwoCubs.

hehe - sorry, but if you were born after 1980 you're a Millennial. FWIW GenX was 1964-1980 so I'm practically a boomer. I have been getting this urge to tell kids to get off my lawn.
Old 08-31-2021, 10:57 AM
Just Dad

Good morning, guys.

Millennia, bah. I'm a proud Xennial.

Whatever.

Well, we've finally added two new cats to the house. It's been too empty for the last couple months.
Old 08-31-2021, 11:06 AM
Super Duper Daddy

Good morning.

I guess that makes me a Xoomer? *shrugs*

Anyway, today is picture day. It's hard when your kid will only wear t-shirts that are a size too small and gym shorts.
Old 09-01-2021, 10:32 AM
Just Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
Anyway, today is picture day. It's hard when your kid will only wear t-shirts that are a size too small and gym shorts.
Good morning. Hey, maybe he's just this generation's Magnum PI. Paging Tom Selleck...
Old 09-01-2021, 11:15 AM
Super Duper Daddy

Good morning,

The remnants of Ida are rolling through the area. Streams are flooding and schools are canceled. Were high up though so were not in any danger - though predictably the power is out yet again. Today was already going to be a busy day but I think were going to have to reschedule some things.