Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > DIY Dads
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2021, 02:24 PM
Super Duper Daddy

At least it wasn't the core that's attached to the furnace. It's good that it wasn't as costly as you feared.
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 05-18-2021, 02:27 PM
Super Duper Daddy

I cleaned up the sawdust piles that the tree guys left when they ground the stumps down. I did 3 of the 4 piles and now there are 9 lawn bags full. I wish they had done it.

On a purely selfish note I glued the fretboard on my acoustic guitar build. There doesn't seem to be any issue with the truss rod potentially rattling inside. I still have to redo some decorative elements and fill some gaps but it's getting close to the point where this will become a musical instrument and not just a fancy woodworking project.
Old 05-19-2021, 02:58 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Yesterday I fought with my PC over trying to print a Word doc so I could sign a form from school. Then I lost the battle with enabling the scanner and had to take a picture of it with my phone so that I could text it to the BCBA.

Also, yesterday my wife's friend invited her to go kayaking at a local reservoir so I was tasked with finding the roof rack I'd bought. Surprise, surprise but after tearing apart the garage (and doing a bit of disposal in the process) and the basement (ditto) AND the office AND the dining room I still couldn't find it.

So I had to buy another at Dick's. That's OK: she wants to buy a second kayak and we'll need the spare rack for the roof rack - which BTW was a comedy of errors trying to install with Little Miss Can't You See I'm In A Hurry? trying to take charge.

PS: I checked the alignment of the neck on the guitar build. It's centered so I can now go about fretting.

I still need to tackle that bad purfling though. The easy way out would be to redo the binding entirely, but really it's a little strip of decorative inlay that's pegging my OCD:

So I made this jig with a cheap circle cutter and a dowel from HD:

Watch me completely fuck it up though.
Old 05-20-2021, 01:56 PM
Just Dad

Looks nice.

The roof rack was probably traded with the last vehicle.

I cut a 14" memory foam mattress in half the other night so the new adjustable bed bases would work independently of one another. I got it to within half of an inch, so I'm happy enough. Both halves fit well into their new encasements, but I still don't like the mattress. Too soft.
Old 05-21-2021, 02:38 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCubs View Post
Looks nice.

The roof rack was probably traded with the last vehicle.

I cut a 14" memory foam mattress in half the other night so the new adjustable bed bases would work independently of one another. I got it to within half of an inch, so I'm happy enough. Both halves fit well into their new encasements, but I still don't like the mattress. Too soft.
If you mean the minivan, it didn't have rails and we sold it before I bought the kayak. I'm still missing the cargo capacity; our friends shove their kayak in the back of their Lexus SUV. Even the new Pilot doesn't have roof rails. It's funny because my wife's Mazda has become the beast of burden; the Pilot it too nice inside.
Old 06-02-2021, 03:22 PM
Super Duper Daddy

I spoke with the Special Education director at the school district that Justin is moving to. He may or may not sit in on the conference IEP call tomorrow afternoon. I'm dubious about any chances for Justin to go into ESY this summer. I'd rather he acclimate into the new house first - whenever that move will be.

I also called about my lawnmower because the grass is getting tall in some spots, going bare in others. The shop told me they're still waiting on parts to replace the tires; it's a self propelled motor so the wheels are integrated with the motors. That didn't fill me with confidence so I went to Lowe's to find a push mower and came up dry, so I ended up buying some topsoil so that I could see where the tree people had gouged up my grass.

I also went on a 25 mile/2 hour bike ride. I took off the additional gears on the crankset and the shifter on the left handlebar. I pumped the tires back up to 40psi after having them under 20psi for the previous day's singletrack excursion. While I'm fiddling with things to make it more capable on the rougher and hillier terrain, surprisingly yesterday's jaunt on the "straight and narrow" crushed gravel walking trail was easy despite the reduced gearing range. Though I was pedaling at a higher RPM I didn't feel tired out and my Strava figures didn't show much reduction in speed either. It seems like I'm not dealing with as much rolling resistance from the tires as I did when I had the tubes in and removing some of the mechanical components seems to have reduced friction on the chain - though I did also lube it. This experiment on the bike is ongoing but these early results are promising. Now if only I could shed some pounds too!
Old 06-08-2021, 11:35 AM
Just Dad

I called insurance to push some claims through for my son. We're just about done with that, I think. Almost five years of calling to have everyone of his mental health claims manually processed. Lately, we've just been paying the therapist to be our consultant/advocate during our meetings with the school.

I took the cat to the vet. She's been acting very hermit-ish lately and hiding in the garage. After a full check-up and blood tests, the vet concluded that she has some mild arthritis and stress. Upon reflection, her behavior started to decline after school ended. My little fluff-ball is stressed-out.
Old 06-08-2021, 06:23 PM
Super Duper Daddy

I’ve been patching grass but need to call around for general contractors to work on the house.
Old 07-13-2021, 08:04 PM
Super Duper Daddy

About a week and a half ago I got down on my hands and knees and used a 3x18" belt sander to take up some of the waterproofing that was coming up. Naturally I threw my back out. The weather has not been cooperating so it's been slow going. I managed to get the rest done but I think I need to go back and do a better job of where I started. I sort of learned as I went and got gradually more efficient.

My birthday is coming up so I've been selfishly working on the guitar. I replaced some of the body trim that I'd messed up the first time and it came out somewhat better. Now I'm dissolving some shellac flake in denatured alcohol so that I can apply French polish.

Before:

After:

Old 07-14-2021, 11:43 AM
Just Dad

Work of art, man. Work of art.