Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > Advice from Dads for Dads
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2021, 11:59 AM
Just Dad

Default Looking to buy a bike

So, I'm looking at buying a fat guy bike. All of my searches keep coming-up with the Mongoose Dolomite. I want to ride again but am not sure if I will be allowed to ride as much as I want. So, I don't want to drop a grand on a bike. $400 is making my wallet hurt enough, but I'll probably end up spending $600 when all of the smoke clears (saddle, anything else?).

Any suggestions?
Old 03-30-2021, 11:30 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Send a message via AIM to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Skype™ to Captain Tuttle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCubs View Post
So, I'm looking at buying a fat guy bike. All of my searches keep coming-up with the Mongoose Dolomite. I want to ride again but am not sure if I will be allowed to ride as much as I want. So, I don't want to drop a grand on a bike. $400 is making my wallet hurt enough, but I'll probably end up spending $600 when all of the smoke clears (saddle, anything else?).

Any suggestions?
My only suggestion would be to go to a bike shop and try one out, talk to the people and see what they recommend.
Old 03-31-2021, 12:49 AM
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tuttle View Post
My only suggestion would be to go to a bike shop and try one out, talk to the people and see what they recommend.

I would only add to that, buy slightly used. Buy new riding pants/shorts to protect the "taint".
Old 04-01-2021, 01:49 AM
Diaper Jockey

I guess I would ask...Why a fat tire bike? For the money, in my humble opinion, the best all around bike for the money is the Trek FX 1 or a similar model from other manufacturers like Specialized or Giant. About $500 range.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b.../fx-1/p/32769/

Great for pavement or light trail riding. If your purpose is to ride loose terrain - gravel, snow, mud, sand, then sure...a fat tire bike. For casual riding around town or packed trails a nice hybrid bike is probably the way to go. I'd also stay away from suspension forks. They add weight and are a power-suck when climbing hills. But again, depends on your purpose.

Talking to a bike shop, telling them the type of riding you want to do, and what you're looking to spend, they'll be able to steer you in the right direction.

"Ninety feet between bases is the nearest thing to perfection that man has yet achieved."

Red Smith
Old 04-01-2021, 12:01 PM
Just Dad

I'll look into a couple bike shops.

As far as a fat tire bike goes, terrain is one reason. There's not much pavement in my area. The best road I'll be riding is the poorly made chip and tar of my own street. The second reason is that I am a fat guy, as stated earlier. I don't mean a 200-ish fat guy (that was me during wrestling season in high school). Right now, I float between 330 and 340. So, the trek bike looks neat, but is only rated for a max 300 pounds. Back in college, I remember bending/warping the front gear on a lesser bike. I just want one that can handle me.
Old 04-02-2021, 02:07 PM
Super Nice Dad

I've got a buddy who is a ride trainer and he sent me to a local bike shop and I spent just shy of $600 on a decent bike for my kid, but this was like 4 or 5 years ago.

Many throw in extra perks like free tune-ups.

HockeySave.com
Old 04-02-2021, 06:31 PM
Diaper Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCubs View Post
I'll look into a couple bike shops.

As far as a fat tire bike goes, terrain is one reason. There's not much pavement in my area. The best road I'll be riding is the poorly made chip and tar of my own street. The second reason is that I am a fat guy, as stated earlier. I don't mean a 200-ish fat guy (that was me during wrestling season in high school). Right now, I float between 330 and 340. So, the trek bike looks neat, but is only rated for a max 300 pounds. Back in college, I remember bending/warping the front gear on a lesser bike. I just want one that can handle me.
Gotcha! I did some looking around online and bike shop fat bikes are going to start at about $1200. That puts you back at the department store Mongoose level bikes that you'll still pay $400 for. As a bike guy - I guess I wouldn't get too hung up on the listed weight limit on bikes. I'm not a small guy myself, about 265, and have exceeded the weight limit on many road bikes. Even Trek's fat tire bikes have a listed weight limit of 300 lbs. If you want to ride. Ride.

So for my 2 cents....maybe consider looking at 29er Mountain Bikes. A standard mountain bike has 26 inch wheels while as the name implies a 29er has 29 inch wheels. The bigger wheels are faster rolling and gives a really substantial feel. You still get 2-2.5 inch wide knobby tires for rougher terrain but doesn't feel out of place if you find yourself on pavement. The Giant Talon 29 3 linked below even gives you disk brakes at $550.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/talon-29-3

Just another option to look at. Happy hunting!

"Ninety feet between bases is the nearest thing to perfection that man has yet achieved."

Red Smith
Old 04-07-2021, 07:52 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Anything under $800 is basically "entry level" so as a "clydesdale" $400 for a Mongoose Dolomite from a local department store is pretty much your best bet. I wouldn't trust Target or Wal Mart to build it for you so I'd check to see if a LBS (Local Bike Shop) would do it for you.
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 04-07-2021, 09:15 PM
Trophy Husband

I would also recommend searching sites like Craigslist for used bike that fit what you want. Garages across this land are loaded with bikes that were slightly used with buyers remorse. Getting back into riding a bike after a while and spending big bucks ( $800?! , yikes ) is like getting back into golf after a while and buying a set of new Pings.
Old 04-11-2021, 02:08 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B. View Post
I would also recommend searching sites like Craigslist for used bike that fit what you want. Garages across this land are loaded with bikes that were slightly used with buyers remorse. Getting back into riding a bike after a while and spending big bucks ( $800?! , yikes ) is like getting back into golf after a while and buying a set of new Pings.
I’ll grant you that $800 is technically midrange but I recall blowing out my knees and quads on steel frame $99 Huffies. Given our guy is a Clydesdale we’re not talking about tire width as much as we’re talking about overall bike weight (the 300 pound limit includes the weight of the bike so a 40 pound bike would put him at closer to 400 pounds) and reinforced rims (more spokes) and tires (with reinforced sidewalls.)

As for pricing, it’s a sellers market on a LOT of things. FWIW I was told by an LBS owner that prices are actually about to go up because of limited supply and increased demand. My wife ended up dropping $1300 on a gravel bike with an aluminum frame (basically a road bike with wider chain stays for wider tires (up to 47mm) and a higher bottom bracket for more clearance. We were told that same bike would likely go up to $1600.

Another idea would be to look at a recumbent bike. They have a lower center of gravity and your weight is more evenly distributed because of the relaxed posture.

I wouldn’t recommend them on rough roads but instead suggest looking for a multi use pathway in your area. For example, many rail ways have been converted to MUPs as well as county run parks in our area.

I for one HATE riding ANY bike on roads because motorists around here are too aggressive when passing bicyclists who for some reason can’t maintain an even 40 mph on hilly and windy roads, even though there are laws on the books meant to protect bicyclists. The caveat is that bicyclists are also supposed to follow traffic laws.
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007