Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > Advice from Dads for Dads
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2021, 10:33 AM
Just Dad

Default Pool anyone?

We're looking at having an above-ground pool installed. I need some pros and cons. I'm thinking about adding a heat pump as well to heat and cool as needed. Experiences, advice?
Old 08-12-2021, 02:17 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCubs View Post
We're looking at having an above-ground pool installed. I need some pros and cons. I'm thinking about adding a heat pump as well to heat and cool as needed. Experiences, advice?
Bear in mind that where I live a pool is a luxury item that is only used between Memorial and Labor Days so I tend to shy away from that kind of stuff but some things to keep in mind are safety, maintenance and the potential to draw pests.

Regarding the latter, previous owners to the house next door had an above ground pool. I always considered it to be an eyesore. One day I found rat droppings dripping down the side of my semi-finished basement wall and called the exterminator. He poked around and found that my basement was the winter retreat for a colony that summered under the neighbor's pool. He explained that they are drawn to water sources.
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 09-16-2021, 01:39 AM
Super Nice Dad

Did you get the pool? We installed an inground at our last house. Worst investment ever. After the first 2 years, everyone else around us had pools installed and our kids rarely used it.

The constant maintenance, cleaning, chemical balancing, opening, and closing are all a PITA. We replaced many parts including the pump at least once, filters have to be cleaned. I imagine with an above ground you still have to put a fence around it and that can be a big expense.

We went without the heat pump, but we had full sun and with a cover, the pool would heat up quickly. But most of our neighbors had them and it extends the season.

HockeySave.com
Old 09-16-2021, 10:52 AM
Just Dad

We had an above-ground pool installed last Friday. So far, the kids like it. It keeps my eloping son occupied and contained. As for the fence, it has to be at least four feet where the distance from the ground to the pool rim is not four feet. If we can get four or five years out of it, I'll consider it paid-for ($7k). My son and daughter love it, and I get a little exercise. For me, the best thing is that he can't climb out and run into the neighbor's house like he does at the neighbor's inground pool. Though, I do like the look of an inground pool. Oh well.
Old 09-16-2021, 01:43 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don-Dad View Post
Did you get the pool? We installed an inground at our last house. Worst investment ever. After the first 2 years, everyone else around us had pools installed and our kids rarely used it.

The constant maintenance, cleaning, chemical balancing, opening, and closing are all a PITA. We replaced many parts including the pump at least once, filters have to be cleaned. I imagine with an above ground you still have to put a fence around it and that can be a big expense.

We went without the heat pump, but we had full sun and with a cover, the pool would heat up quickly. But most of our neighbors had them and it extends the season.
As you're probably learning, being a pool owner requires an attitude for latitude.

OTOH my wife has been lamenting about getting a hot tub. I'm not arguing. If she wants to spend the money to have it put in then she can pay to hire somebody to clean it.
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 09-17-2021, 03:16 PM
Trophy Husband

Having our pool closed today. Summer is OVA!
Old 09-20-2021, 12:02 AM
Super Nice Dad

I do not miss closing or opening a pool. I think my dog is the only one who might moss the pool, he loved to go swimming.

HockeySave.com