Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > DIY Dads
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2011, 12:25 AM
Pimp Extrodinaire

Send a message via AIM to Bollux Send a message via Yahoo to Bollux
Default To drywall or not to drywall

that is the question.

We started home renovations on the house we just bought. painting, moulding, etc etc. The family room has a lovely wood panel circa 1965...

one panel was bubbling off due to moisture so i cut it off and mud it. the moisture from the mud led to more bubbling so now i am tempted to rip the crap outta all the wood panels and drywall my only question is whats behind the wood board holding on the laminate paneling. might be drywall might be plaster.

"There cannot be good living where there is not good drinking" Benjamin Franklin

"Oh... no way....ninja old people!" Ben "10" Tennyson
Old 09-13-2011, 12:35 AM
Pimp Extrodinaire

i guess i should add I hate wood panels and wanted to get rid of them so i mud the "grout" lines in order to paint over it all to make it one clean wall.

"There cannot be good living where there is not good drinking" Benjamin Franklin

Old 09-13-2011, 01:56 AM
Trophy Husband

Where is the moisture coming from? Has it been remedied?
Old 09-13-2011, 02:32 AM
Pimp Extrodinaire

no clue yet would have to tear off the wood panel to see where/what it is. i think it was just old panel that got brittle and maybe some moisture got in and led to more cracking. the stuff is kinda old so who knows.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:57 AM
Career SAHD

I'd guess it's drywall underneath. Maybe you could find a spot to drill a hole to see, wouldn't have to be a big one. Big question is did they glue the paneling to drywall. That'd be a bit of a mess, might rip the paper in places. If they just nailed it, shouldn't be hard to take off and fix whatever's underneath.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:48 AM
Trophy Husband

Just pop off an outlet cover. That might help in seeing what is underneath. You could probably flex the board a bit there to get a better look. Like Riggs said, I bet there is drywall under that . The newly exposed wood paneling looks pretty dry. Do you see any nails in the paneling at all? If not it is glued up which could be even a bigger headache to clean up. I did a similar project in my first apartment. Learned the hard way to prime all the paneling first prior to mudding and painting. That stuff sucks up paint like a sponge.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:43 PM
Pimp Extrodinaire

well it is drywall underneath with a really lovely wallpaper. I took off the one panel that was damaged and got a bug up so i basically removed all the panels. now the question becomes do i put a 1/4" drywall over it? whats the best course of action. the panels were held on by glue and nails. the glue popped easily and nails were no problem. there are holes in the wall and some of the wallpaper is peeling but its a workable surface.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:17 AM
Daddy

Send a message via Yahoo to bosoxfan51682

I would score and remove the wall paper and then skim coat the walls with mud to fix any blemishes. but thats just me, and I am a glutten for punishment.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:16 AM
Pimp Extrodinaire

Old 09-14-2011, 01:46 AM
Trophy Husband

Bollux, I have to say kudos to the previus owner. That, IMO, is afair amount of glue for that job. My first home's kitchen was way more than that per sheet. That is the good news. The bad news is that no matter what you decide it will be a dusty mess going forward. Just your turn pal.