Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > DIY Dads
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2020, 12:04 PM
Just Dad

I worked on my Mom's long arm quilting machine this last we week. Between testing and talking to several repair reps on the phone, we narrowed it down to the motherboard. I think it may have taken a power surge through the CyberPower UPS POS. The surge may have killed the light ballast as well. The UPS is fine of course. After some research online, I realized that I'm not the only one that has trouble with CyberPower power products. The surges don't bother the suppressor just everything that is connected through it. So now it has an Isobar suppressor in front of it to protect the expensive quilting machine.

Anyway. I found a motherboard online that was mistakenly put on the store website for wholesale. Their service guy grudgingly sold it to me after having me sign a no warranty waiver (since I'm not a factory authorized service person). Whatever. $600 motherboard for $375. Not to mention the $600 for the two service calls (one for diagnostics, one for replacement). The part should be in today. Hopefully that will fix it.
Old 12-07-2020, 01:07 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B. View Post
Put the Mustang to bed for the winter.
Yeah, those pony cars can be skittish in the snow. C'mon, spring!
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 12-08-2020, 02:23 AM
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
Yeah, those pony cars can be skittish in the snow. C'mon, spring!

Rear wheel horsepower is a bitch but many drive them all winter long with snow tires. For this guy preservation is king. 16 year old Stang with 50K miles on it. Heck, it has never been driven in the rain!
Old 12-08-2020, 02:24 AM
Trophy Husband

Put away the rest of outdoor stuff in the shed for the winter. Can't wait to bring it back out.
Old 12-08-2020, 12:35 PM
Super Duper Daddy

I ran a lot of errands yesterday, mostly via the curbside option. Target really has it figured out. I order via the app using my Target card, wait just about an hour for them to fill the order, when I get the confirmation I tell them I'm on my way and they have it waiting for me when I pull into the designated spot. The app shows a 4 digit code instead of a bar code that needs to be scanned so I don't even have to roll down my window. All I have to do is pop the hatch (both our vehicles have power hatches with a button on the driver's side door) and they load it up for me. In, out. Wham bam boom. Done.

Kohls, Lowes and Home Depot have similar setups. Tomorrow I'm doing the same thing with my midweek grocery haul but I don't like their system as much. I had to do my online shopping four days in advance. I may give Whole Foods a go through Amazon. Their produce is better than our local chain.

Today I need to call to have them come pick up the dumpster bag and finish up the medicine cabinet alcove and baseboards in the bathroom closet.
Old 12-08-2020, 04:16 PM
Trophy Husband

I still and always have just gone to the store and shopped old school. But if the parking lot is packed those nice close curbside pickup parking spaces sure come in handy!
Old 12-09-2020, 12:50 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Angry

You would think I'd be better at the fine details by now, but noooooo!

I f***ing hate doing baseboards. The miter cuts always turn out wrong. I also hate caulking. That $#!T is always a mess.

The trifecta was working on the nook where the medicine cabinet used to be. The wood is used to try and make the box warped because it's flat sawn. Good thing I still have some PVC board. That stuff doesn't warp, it just shrinks.

I really need to clean off my work bench. It's too cold to work in the driveway anymore.
Old 12-10-2020, 12:25 PM
Just Dad

I think that you just need a jointer, Kwak. More tools fix everything. Just consider it part of the cost of the project.
Old 12-11-2020, 02:37 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCubs View Post
I think that you just need a jointer, Kwak. More tools fix everything. Just consider it part of the cost of the project.
Typically I have power tools. It's like learning to drive a car after mastering a bicycle: with increased power comes the potential for loss of control and accuracy.

Example: my miter saw doesn't cut straight. It frustrates me because we're talking about a one dimensional motion but because the blade is circular an angled cut doesn't come out straight. It's times like that when I opt for using a miter box and a pull saw.

Regarding a joiner, I have a "manual" alternative: a homemade shooting board and a bench plane that I use for joining soundboards. For something smaller I can use a jack or a block plane that has a shorter "shoe."

Old 12-11-2020, 02:51 PM
Trophy Husband

Kwak, do you use a fine or finishing blade when cuting moulding? No carbide teeth on the blade.